Do you feel early ages (Ancient, Classical, Medieval) are too quick?

gladoscc

Warlord
Personally, I feel that Civ V skips over an extremely long period in human civilization - the earlier eras. Even with G&K, it's not expanded much. I feel that the late game is a bit too long and dragged out, while the earlier ages are more exciting. I also prefer the histrionic theme of earlier ages.

I really think Civ V has earlier ages that are too short. What do you think?

I agree on all counts. I don't like romping around with mech infs for over 1/3 of the game.

Absolutely agree. I hate the late game stuff. I call it 'waiting for the giant, endless, boring war'.

I wish they'd make a game called 'Ancient Civilization' that stopped before the modern age.

I have to agree. I think that discovering the world you're in, localizing those little shiny resources, natural wonders and good city spots is the most interesting part of the game. I, also, prefer greatly the historic theme of those times, especially musics. I think that developers need to find something as much interesting to do later. I think that belongs around crowd control and such, but it would for sure make the game very, very different from Civ5.

man i feel da complete oposite way holmes i mean everything be so slow during those eras and during the end it all gets major beast, so it be more fun and it go quicker. am i right?

Hopefully with a more complicated tech tree, nerfed GS and RAs this won't be so bad. The early eras passed so quickly because of overly quick teching.

Personally, I feel that Civ V skips over an extremely long period in human civilization - the earlier eras. Even with G&K, it's not expanded much. I feel that the late game is a bit too long and dragged out, while the earlier ages are more exciting. I also prefer the histrionic theme of earlier ages.

Yes, the earlier ages are too short. As for histrionics, I think the only one who engages in them is Monty.

agree completely. I really hope to play medieval and renaissance era longer!

I don't feel the early eras are too quick, rather everything is just too damn expensive early on relative to how fast tech moves. By the time you build anything, it feels like several techs have gone by, and this is on marathon!

I play marathon to extend the early ages, the problem that I have is my game play style in games like this is too tech heavy which tends to remove the speed penalty. But anyways, I can see ancient era being a bit quick, but you can turtle yourself a bit just to keep the era alive for a bit longer. Main draw back is that since your time is mainly exploring and not fighting right away you wont see much fighting with the earliest of units. Throw in rampaging barbarians and dont spam many units, youll find a dumb AI scripted to think you are weak and declare war, I had this vs Germany in my last game (vanilla) sieging their capital with only 1 swordsman and a catapault (only had two iron) and the rest ancient warriors/archers for filler.

I find the early eras longer than usual, but I agree that a long late game is terrible. Though, why not make the late game exciting? Puppet states should be able to seek independece via unhappiness, spy warfare (terrorism), more complex future era, etc.

Maybe disease should also be addeed, which can be fought against via religion then hospitals. There are so many modern problems which are not recognized in game, but the ancient culture is actually pretty accurate in terms of gameplay. I think if the late game was more exciting, then the early game would be fine.

I would like to see the player able to select start and finish eras, and the game expand into that...

For example, you select Ancient to Medieval and Standard... It would give you 500 turns at the same rates as now, expanded to fit 500 turns.

I would like to see the player able to select start and finish eras, and the game expand into that...

For example, you select Ancient to Medieval and Standard... It would give you 500 turns at the same rates as now, expanded to fit 500 turns.

I agree.

Empire Earth 2 also had the option where you could pick both the starter era and the final era.
Civilizations V should also have it. Maybe I want a pure classical/medieval match.
Granted, all it would be good for is domination matches and or roleplaying.

Top Bottom