Do You Lose Very Often?

Do You Ever Lose?

• Yes - All the time, its the only way to learn!

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Yes - Sometimes, but I try hard not to.

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • No - I play on a lower difficulty level than I should, so I never lose.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • No - I can play and win on any difficulty, I'm just that good!

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters

RX2000

Prince
Just wondering if you guys lose very much, and what you think about it.

Personally, I play on Regent level when I should be playing on Moarchy/Emperor. I cant ever remember losing a game now that I think about it. I just get REALLY upset if the comp takes a city from me...... like punching holes in the wall upset, so playing on a higher difficulty wouldnt be good for my walls I think. ;)

I win when I play Chieftan-Monarch.
I lose when I play Emperor-Diety

Simple as that.

Of course there was that one time on diety when I did win. Course, I think that was just partially luck. :D

I like to play where I feel I have a very good chance of losing. That keeps the interest level high and keeps me from "going through the motions".

Right now I play mostly Monarch but Monarch is getting too comfortable, so I will begin playing Emporer in my next games and stick with that until I have mastered it.

Diety sounds too mechanical to be fun, it sounds like every move must be done exactly right or you end up in big trouble. I'm sure I will try that level out but it does not sound that fun, maybe in that your options and strategies may be severely limited.

:king:

The AI still gives me a run for my money on Monarch. I haven't been able to beat Emperor yet.

Depends on what you mean by "lose" - I can beat the victory conditions every time on deity, so I have to set my own objectives. But, if I miss getting a key wonder, then I consider it a loss. At the high levels, controlling the wonders is not as easy, but everything else is a piece of cake.

One thing I've noticed, expansion is faster on deity than on regent. Playing an expansionist civ, I normally get just 2 cities/settlers from the huts on regent level. On deity, I get 6-8 cities/settlers from the huts. Seems it is based a lot on need, and because the AI expands faster than me on deity, I have more need. So I don't build any settlers until after 1500 b.c.

I normally play regent/monarch on a standard map and aim for a paricular type of victory.

If I go for a culture win then I probably win 90% of the time.
50% for OCC, Domination, Diplomatic victory or Space race.

I have only ever won at emperor level on tiny maps.

The hardest losses are when you almost won.
The best wins are the ones where you had the most difficultly.

I'm with DaveMcW on this one. I've been a gamer all my life.

Top Bottom