Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes only after promotions

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Who the heck has time for that?

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

tommytoxen

Warlord
I have EUI so I can rename them anytime but I only like to rename them once they've earned a promotion, a little reward. I'm trying for a realistic naming system but having trouble finding the info, the uk army system is so complex i dunno what the difference is between company, platoon, brigade etc. but right now i'm naming them like

1st BN Queen's Own REGT
1st COY Royal Horse Guard
1st PL Royal Artillery

Using standard acronyms (battallion, company, platoon). Does this sound about right? Any army goers here?

And how do you name your units?

I didn't know you could! I guess EUI is a mod that allows that? Cool, off to find it now.

Naming all promoted and gifted units is what I would do, and will do after I find that mod.

I didn't know you could! I guess EUI is a mod that allows that? Cool, off to find it now.

Naming all promoted and gifted units is what I would do, and will do after I find that mod.
In vanilla you can name any unit after a promotion. When you have the promotion thingy show up there's an edit link.

But yeah with EUI you can rename anytime by right clicking on the unit name. It's built into Vox Populii which I 100% recommend.

Anyway I changed my naming system last night. Decided to go with something more simple and gives my promoted units a bit of regimental history as they upgrade through the eras. I think it'll be cool when they're mechanized infantry the regiment is called Queen's Archers or Swordsman Guards showing their historic importance. I think it gives a nice personal touch to my troops and a little backstory to my civ, i like it

Here's my current regiments

Naming your units feels like naming your cow right before you eat a nice juicy piece of steak.

Naming your units feels like naming your cow right before you eat a nice juicy piece of steak.
I have actually done all three of these.

Well, not "right before". Had to wait until Chris was 1200 pounds or so.

I give my units alphabetical names when I promote them, like my first unit might be "Andy", and my next "Beatrice" and so on.

I always name my ships after starships from Star Trek. Like I'll name my first Caravel "Discovery", and another "Voyager", and "Intrepid" and such. And I always try to name my "flagship" "Enterprise", and I also take names like "Excelsior", "Endeavor", and such. I'll name my first Privateer "Defiant", and so on. I'm rather obsessive about it lol.

I like that idea. Certainly adds a personal touch using personal names. In other games I have used names of my favorite athletes from today and the past. It really feels emotional when one of my heroes get killed off. LOL!

What do you name your Kris swordsmen when they get an Evil Spirits promotion?

In vanilla you can name any unit after a promotion. When you have the promotion thingy show up there's an edit link.

But yeah with EUI you can rename anytime by right clicking on the unit name. It's built into Vox Populii which I 100% recommend.

Anyway I changed my naming system last night. Decided to go with something more simple and gives my promoted units a bit of regimental history as they upgrade through the eras. I think it'll be cool when they're mechanized infantry the regiment is called Queen's Archers or Swordsman Guards showing their historic importance. I think it gives a nice personal touch to my troops and a little backstory to my civ, i like it

Here's my current regiments
That's very cool! however i do feel like it's way too tiresome and i don't want to get too attached to these units so i usually dont name it.

Yes, name is chosen according to the promotions i went for.
Especially naval units. Helps me alot with chosing what to attack with the units i have (naval, land or city)
Also I name nuke carriers "Ghandi 1", "Ghandi 2" and so on

I have a tendency to rename Scouts to something that sounds nation-specific after their first promotion - it gives them some character! When playing Rome, I like to name Warriors "Hastati", Archers "Velites", Spearmen "Triarii", Horsemen "Equites", and Legions get their own unique (but not necessarily historical) name on creation, ie: "Legio IV Hispana". Other than that, I will I rarely bother renaming units in other civs unless they amass several promotions, but I always name all naval vessels.

ONE THING about Civ5 that has always gotten on my last nerve - the inability to re-name your Great Generals!! For me, being forced to have a General with some name completely unrelated to your civ is like fingernails on a chalkboard... :(

Last edited:
How do I get the names I put in to show on the Military overview?

I've tried naming them, but it never shows.

No idea on the military overview.

I normally fo name ships after those who fought at Jutland except battleships and abouve are named after USA States as per their nomenclature. Aircraft carriers I name after WW2 vessels.

With aircraft I them after a type- Camel, Hurricane, Halifax etc.

Army untis I am not so particular about- and yes you do need to ensure you don't get too attached to them.

I almost never do it unless I just feel like doing it on a whim. Even then, it is just one or two.

How do I get the names I put in to show on the Military overview?

I've tried naming them, but it never shows.
sorry for late reply, i'm only an occasional browser of these forums :)

but i use this mod:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ui-improved-military-overview.610073/

I like that idea. Certainly adds a personal touch using personal names. In other games I have used names of my favorite athletes from today and the past. It really feels emotional when one of my heroes get killed off. LOL!
yeah exactly :) i love getting to modern era and having tanks named "23rd Horse Guard" or a helicopter gunship named "3rd Royal Archers". gives them that historical flavour regiments in real life have :)

haha i get what you're saying, but i look after my troops i'm very careful in battles, i never go into one unless i'm at least 60% sure i'm going to win. of course there are some losses for the most part with the right naval (and later air) support, artillery etc they usually come out of it alive with more lovely promotions to get stronk :)

Hi, friends. I didn’t know you could name your units until I saw this post. However, I don’t appear to be able to name my units, even when they are promoted. Was this added in an expansion? I just have the base game, no mods. Supposedly there is an “edit” button on the promotion display, but I don’t get that.

Hi, Dog. You don't get to name your units until after their second promotion.

Top Bottom