Do you play to the bitter end?

Lately I've been turning off all victory conditions, so I can play to whenever I feel I've completed my enjoyment of the game. Sometimes I used to stress about trying to avoid victory, and I just started thinking "Why? I don't need to worry about this, I just want to play for fun."

But I do lament how all your tracking gets turned off when you don't have victory on .. I really miss Civ 5's Demographics. I was obsessed with those, lol.

Nitpicking here, but perhaps the title question should be "Do you play to the boring end?"...

I mean, if the end is really promising to be bitter, or nail-biting, or nerve-wrecking, yes, I would play to the last second if there is a chance of defeat. Who wouldn't? The real end game test is if it still is interesting enough, and "bitter" does not fit with an un-interesting, boring, or "too easy" final phase...

I usually start new game if I know I already won. There is no point to click next turn if there is no challenge. Sometimes I see victory animation if I am focused on different goal and I am not aware that I am going to win in different way.

Until rrise and fall I completed 100% of games. My trend now is play until I've clearly won. This is because I've limited time to play, and so many civs to play as

I finish most of my games, except ones where I have to move troops halfway across the world for a domination win or whatever nonsense. This has been true since 4.

For 6, past turn 200, the chances of me quitting goes up by 1% every turn, because every turn takes so damned long by that point

I usually finish most of my games. This time around, I tried a few civs for about 50-70 turns the first two weeks, but for the past two, give to take, I have been playing simultaneous games on some on Epic, or on Marathon, or using p0kiehl's Historic Speed Mod and it has been fun. This means however, that I haven't won one game yet. I am close with two though and I plan to finish all of them. Concise UI Mod has a Notes Log to leave reminders of where you are, your goals, etc. so that, when I have time, I can get back into the groove of a game I haven't played in a couple of days or so. This is making it really fun for some reason and it has surprised me to tell you the truth.

So, now I have an Inca, Sweden, Hungary and Maori games going on. :crazyeye: Am I doing this because I get bored with one game? At first, I believe I got impatient wanting to try each new civ so I started up a new game to try a new civ or try a better strategy with the ones I had tinkered with the first two weeks GS was out. Also, I hadn't´played many Marathon games in Civ VI before GS and I wanted to try that. Man, it does take longer, but it is fun not to rush things and enjoy what you reserach. Then it occurred to me that I could just play all those games concurrently and finish them taking my time.

I always play until I’m bitter, then I end.... so yes
I do get the HOF bit.

:lol::lol::lol: You cracked me up!

Nitpicking here, but perhaps the title question should be "Do you play to the boring end?"...

I mean, if the end is really promising to be bitter, or nail-biting, or nerve-wrecking, yes, I would play to the last second if there is a chance of defeat. Who wouldn't? The real end game test is if it still is interesting enough, and "bitter" does not fit with an un-interesting, boring, or "too easy" final phase...

¡Ya pues! (como diríamos em mi país) Come on, man! Some are sure not to be boring at the end if you really try to do things a bit differently, like trying to get as many Wonders as possible while winning or getting a certain amount of gold or getting the 5 achievements you have really worked hard to get in one game, or now string to have the HOF filled out. There are ways, siempre, my friend. :D

Apart from the fact that "bitter end" is a colloquial expression, "bitter" could be "bitter drudgery of micromanaging things that no longer make any difference to the game's outcome".

If i can’t conquer something in next 60 turns or so i quit. Assuming i need to press enter for a win with minimal effort.

¡Ya pues! (como diríamos em mi país) Come on, man! Some are sure not to be boring at the end if you really try to do things a bit differently, like trying to get as many Wonders as possible while winning or getting a certain amount of gold or getting the 5 achievements you have really worked hard to get in one game, or now string to have the HOF filled out. There are ways, siempre, my friend. :D

Didn't say ALL of them have boring ends. But you really have to play IMM/DEI to have a chance of getting those...

I finish most games to the end, even if I'm way ahead.

I still enjoy the feeling just as that victory screen pops up. And now with the HOF back, I've been finishing almost all of them.

Come on, man! Some are sure not to be boring at the end if you really try to do things a bit differently,
Ah you do not know me well enough. I often play to my own VC... In the weekend I was playing a game and played for 5 ski resorts in desert. Turned out to be quite hard on the map as most of the desert was on another continent. I think it was about T220 I finished. Some of my forum comments are more flippant or fun rather than have a strong meaning. I like to play with words a bit.

You can always chew a carrot to the bitter end as well.

Ah you do not know me well enough. I often play to my own VC... In the weekend I was playing a game and played for 5 ski resorts in desert. Turned out to be quite hard on the map as most of the desert was on another continent. I think it was about T220 I finished. Some of my forum comments are more flippant or fun rather than have a strong meaning. I like to play with words a bit.

You can always chew a carrot to the bitter end as well.

He was talking to me.

I usually do, just to unlock the achievement for winning with the civ. My current Eleanor game is a real drag, however, and I think I'll lose it. But I guess that'll be an achievement also.
Interestingly, my current Eleanor game is also the first time I'm thinking about abandoning an active game. I'm most likely winning a CV (which isn't hard to do, since it is on King). But I can't really make use of her unique features - I'm surrounded by city-states, making it impossible to flip any of my far-away AI neighbors. So I'm thinking of restarting, with other Eleanor also present for achievement purposes.

I never restart, no matter if I'm winning or losing... or even given a bad map.

I always play it out until the end.

edit : I mean, that's how you learn, no? All of the losses and bad maps have taught me how to be a better player.

Top Bottom