Do You Target Opposing AI's?

Cicerosaurus

Emperor
In the context of a specific AI who is annoying you. In my current game Austria has been converting my cities despite promising not to.

So, I'll be sending spies to rig elections in her allied CS's and trying to poach them where ever I can in preference to other AI's.

It's probably not a logical strategy but it is satisfying.

Anyone else do the same?

Not exactly. If another Civ is becoming a real problem but hasn't outright invaded or anything consider launching an invasion yourself if they are nearby. Or pay his other neighbors to go to war against her instead to keep her busy and waste the needed funds on warfare instead of CS shopping money.

If it happens later in the game, during the world congress, consider using politics to screw them over. Embargo, banning their primary luxury, etc.

It might also matter what Civ and strategy you are playing. If you Greece/Siam/Venice or playing towards diplomatic victory you should probably be more aggressive against an Austria (Or Venice) that is buying out CS's and eroding your UA.

When I have a Washington AI in one my games, it usually spams way to many cities for my liking. So in my last game I immediately declared war when I met him with one of my shoshone CB. I harassed his units until he was willing to give me New York in a peace deal. I burned the city down (to far from my home), and he never grew big in this game. The funny thing was, that Washington didn't care about my agression, we even had an RA later on. This was on emperor, btw.

In my current game, Venice had chosen a different ideology from me (Autocracy, even though Freedom would have made more sense), which destabilized my empire and eventually forced me to switch to Order. Furthermore, Venice had far more votes than anyone in the World Congress due to city state allies, and kept proposing to ban my luxuries or make their religion the world religion.

First I fought back by bribing Venice's neighbors to declare war, cutting them off from trade. When that didn't do enough, I joined the war myself and captured their last city before they could push through a vote to embargo me. Since almost everyone else had chosen Order at that point, nobody really cared that I'd wiped out an Autocracy civ.

I also trade with the enemies of my enemies. I also like to smash the capitals of Wonderspammers. It's lovely to see how their score falls when they don't have wonders anymore.

Attilla kept attacking me for unprovoked reasons (basically greed). I fought him back, took my city back and, as usual, he sued for peace twice. I didn`t cause him any trouble. Predictably, as soon as he`d built up a few more units, he declared war again saying something like, "I was pretending to like you! HAHAHA!"

I wiped him out.

2 strikes then you`re out.

The good news about Austria is Maria T is a scandalous opportunist. She will form friendships with other civs but flip on them easily if you offer up a trade. In a recent game Austria was friendly with with me and had DoF with, Indonesia, the Maya, England, Persia, Egypt, France, and Carthage (otherwise a pariah at the time and down to 1 city). I convinced her to assist me in a goalless war against Carthage, then had her backstab Egypt, then traded everything I had to convince her to backstab my good friends the Maya. Indonesia took notice and requested that I assist in a war against Austria. I agreed, and got all the trades I sent to Maria back :) . Then when France saw the chaos it declared on Austria as well and Maria's fate was sealed.

Yup...invariably one will do something that ticks me off and I spend the rest of the game dealing with their annoyance. 7/10 it is Attila or Genghis who just want to throw their armies at me every now and then. Always works out well for them since I generally take Goddess of Protection and often do Tradition into Oligarchy.

In the context of a specific AI who is annoying you. In my current game Austria has been converting my cities despite promising not to.

So, I'll be sending spies to rig elections in her allied CS's and trying to poach them where ever I can in preference to other AI's.

It's probably not a logical strategy but it is satisfying.

Anyone else do the same?

Oh yes. If someone starts acting like a jerk, he'll find a boot upside his "capital city" very soon.

Top Bottom