Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, not always, but often

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Yeah, but not often

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Nope. Not interested.

Votes: 60 64.5%

• Total voters
Sometimes I'll use advanced start with 330 points, just to avoid getting screwed by settler placement every. damn. game.

Is there a thread with a guide to using advanced start? I always seem to blow mucho points on fogbusting, then when i start up the AI is waaay more built up than me! :(

Is there a thread with a guide to using advanced start? I always seem to blow mucho points on fogbusting, then when i start up the AI is waaay more built up than me! :(
I don't know if there's one around, but here's a few tips:
  1. You have a lot more information to choose your capital carefully than you usually do. Take advantage of it. Try to select a site with a fresh water bonus, lots of food, and good commerce and hammer potential to maximize the effects of the Bureaucracy civic.
  2. Alternatively, if you have a food-rich but commerce-poor location (i.e. few or no rivers for riverside cottages, and no gold, silver, or gems either), then maximize the food output and make the capital the GP farm. Look for a good commerce site nearby where you can move the capital later.
  3. Once the capital is founded, go grab a tech or two. I highly recommend grabbing Bronze Working, despite the expense (especially if you need Mining, too). Knowing where copper is out of the starting gate, as well as being able to whip and chop, is huge.
  4. If you play as Egypt or Persia, however, you should get Animal Husbandry first to find horses and get the UU going as soon as possible.
  5. If the now-revealed strategic resource you need is nearby but not in the capital's BFC, you may want to spend AS points on a Settler.
  6. If you can afford it and need it, The Wheel is another invaluable tech to have right off the bat.
  7. You should have enough AS points left for two exploring units (Warriors or Scouts, depending on your starting techs) and at least two Workers. I'd rather spend my points on Workers than improvements, since the Workers can build the improvements, and quickly, too, if you team them.
  8. My exception to buying improvements is if a strategic resource is in the BFC. Then I'll often spend points on a border pop (if needed), improving the resource, and a road. I then should have just enough points left to buy 2 of the now-available units (axemen, chariots, etc.). Starting with two strong units is amazing. They'll easily survive barb animal attacks and become hyper-promoted before long.
  9. Another exception to buying improvements: if I have gold, silver, or gems. Then I'll often spend points on a mine (not a road, a Worker can do that soon enough) and a population point so I can work this resource and boost my research immediately. I'll give up spending AS points on techs to get these commerce-rich resources on line, since they'll allow me to research those techs faster anyway. If the resource requires an expensive border pop, though, I'll usually spend AS points on more workers instead.
  10. The AI seems to prefer using AS to found more cities. I'd rather start with a technical and/or strategic advantage. I can then either leverage BW to chop and/or whip Settlers, or leverage my advanced units to launch an early rush and take those extra cities they've founded.

I played with AS several times this past month, but started to feel guilty because it was so much easier to win.

Re: Sisiutil.

When I buy techs in Advance Start, I tend to find myself emphasizing mysticism and a religion tech so I am "guaranteed" a starting religion. I'll also usually go for masonry rather than bronzeworking: It's cheap, and lets you use the often-nearby stone or marble for a quick early wonder. It's also one step shy of Monotheism for Organized Religion, which really helps out getting your first couple buildings going in addition to your early wonder.

But yes (Re: Pitman), you do often end up with an advantage over the AI. This is why I tend to use advance start ONLY with enough points to found the capital.

Hm, is it possible to set all the players initially to human-controlled so we can optimize (even specialize) the AI starts, but then the computer plays the rest of the game?

Top Bottom