[BUILDING] Does anyone (except for AI, lol) ever build anything that "may summon a criminal"?

Somebody613

Deity
Ya know, there's a list of buildings that has this property, and criminals are awfully prone to destroy your improvements in the worst way and time possible.
So, does anyone ever allow such buildings into their cities, lol?

Yes... I build them all the time because as long as you don't have positive crime in your city, you still don't have anything to worry about. I also don't HATE having criminals now and then because if my LE game is tight, I can have them pop up, get them wanted, arrest them, and most of the time there's a free captive, which I usually value. Let's hear it for public systems designed to fail on purpose for overall profit by taking advantage of idiots!

Also... secret tip: Local criminals aren't quite as aggressive about trying to destroy your improvements and hunt down workers and weak units - they pretty much are programmed to just keep being criminals in the city.

Wait, so they stand still in cities huh....
hmmmm i guess i have no worry for building hideouts then.

Wait, so they stand still in cities huh....
hmmmm i guess i have no worry for building hideouts then.
yeah its mostly the AI players that send in the really devious 'undo your empire' types.

yeah its mostly the AI players that send in the really devious 'undo your empire' types.
So, if I play a 1-civ game, there would never pop up "bandits who destroy my improvements" (if I keep my crime levels in check)? Yes or not really?

So, if I play a 1-civ game, there would never pop up "bandits who destroy my improvements" (if I keep my crime levels in check)? Yes or not really?
For now. Barbarians will likely eventually create ruffians as a primary unit rather than the militaries you see them getting at the moment. But yeah, ruffians aren't criminals so don't spawn in cities. The criminals who come in from out of state will hide in cities and lunge out to destroy and capture then return to cities for refuge and will flee to invisibility when investigated then return if they can. The ones that spawn in cities tend to just stay in the cities (it's THEIR homes after all and they don't think of themselves as TRYING to break down the state for international motives - sometimes political ones perhaps, but that's more revolutionaries and those still tend to just be active where they are and aren't nearly as clever.)

Yes... I build them all the time because as long as you don't have positive crime in your city, you still don't have anything to worry about. I also don't HATE having criminals now and then because if my LE game is tight, I can have them pop up, get them wanted, arrest them, and most of the time there's a free captive, which I usually value. Let's hear it for public systems designed to fail on purpose for overall profit by taking advantage of idiots!

Also... secret tip: Local criminals aren't quite as aggressive about trying to destroy your improvements and hunt down workers and weak units - they pretty much are programmed to just keep being criminals in the city.
oh so I don't have to worry too much about it, if auto builder construct it? as long as crime is below 0?

oh so I don't have to worry too much about it, if auto builder construct it? as long as crime is below 0?
Correct - your city spawn chances are then entirely based on the crime level you have and if its below 0 your city cannot spawn criminals. Can be infiltrated by crims from neighbors but can't spawn its own barb crims. AND most crime buildings are only there when crime is above a threshold so get the crime level to 0 and none of the autospawn crime buildings that are OUT of your control will pop up and those that were there will disappear.

Correct - your city spawn chances are then entirely based on the crime level you have and if its below 0 your city cannot spawn criminals. Can be infiltrated by crims from neighbors but can't spawn its own barb crims. AND most crime buildings are only there when crime is above a threshold so get the crime level to 0 and none of the autospawn crime buildings that are OUT of your control will pop up and those that were there will disappear.
Those buildings should probably say something like "can spawn X if crime is above 0" because I also thought those buildings added an inherent chance to spawn these criminals independent of crime rating

Those buildings should probably say something like "can spawn X if crime is above 0" because I also thought those buildings added an inherent chance to spawn these criminals independent of crime rating
And I thought those criminals would then start raiding your improvements - so why would I ever build such stuff altogether?
In the end, it's not as bad, but I still don't think I need them, lol.

Yeah, same for me. I thought they were really nasty buildings and I always avoided them. Good to know that I can now build them as long as my LE game is fine.

Yeah, same for me. I thought they were really nasty buildings and I always avoided them. Good to know that I can now build them as long as my LE game is fine.
The Thief building is useless. The Exile one at least has a negative Crime rate. The later ones are probably mostly useless, unless you want to play a CRIME GAME (an interesting idea, lol).

The Thief building is useless. The Exile one at least has a negative Crime rate. The later ones are probably mostly useless, unless you want to play a CRIME GAME (an interesting idea, lol).
That is what I do. And for extra challenge I only put one law enforcement unit per each city. However the challenge ends by the Industrial Era, since there are plenty of buildings that decrease crime.

That is what I do. And for extra challenge I only put one law enforcement unit per each city. However the challenge ends by the Industrial Era, since there are plenty of buildings that decrease crime.
I think you misunderstood my "challenge".
I meant "to build nothing but Criminals and swarm everyone around you with them", loool.
But since it's basically gonna do nothing but destabilize them, it's kinda... boring.
It did give me the idea now for a "challenge" of "how to get the biggest number of encountered civilizations - by making the old ones split into new ones".
Basically:
No "One City Limit" - so they can build multiple cities. Note: I'd start with 40 Civs already, so this is for the splits that happen AFTER some initial Civ dies. Yup, lol.
No "Barbarians" - for faster turn times and for "cleaner experiment", lol. Note that Criminals still exist, and I GUESS they could turn a city into a Barb one (basically the goal of testing).
"Barbs spawn new Civs" - so the ex-Civ ex-Barb cities spawn NEW Civs, loool.
My modmod "Prehistory only" - so it's a limited tech tree, a faster game, and a funnier "experiment".
LOL! Might actually DO it now.
Also, this in no way means that MY city (or cities) would have negative Crime. The goal is to destabilize OTHERS, ya know. MWAHAHAHA!!!

Top Bottom