• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Does Civ 4 work for you?

Does Civ 4 work for you?

• Yes, it works perfectly.

Votes: 167 44.5%
  • It works reasonably well, but has minor problems

Votes: 120 32.0%
  • It is playable, but has major issues that need patching

Votes: 68 18.1%
  • No, it doesn't work at all, or not to any useful extent

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
I chose it works perfectly, because it works better than I expected on a 4-year old AMD Athlon XP 1600+ with a GeForce 2 MX 400 64mb Gfx Card, and 512mb of RAM. I can't play huge or large maps, because the slow down during mid-late game is too big, but I expected that anyway.

I imagine you saw most of them on the tech support forum. This poll is on the wrong forum to be seen by people who are having problems.

Well I did point this poll out repeatedly in the thread in the tech support forum which prompted its formation. I don't think this qualifies as tech support in any case, so it had to go in general discussion.

Still only six people who have an unplayable version of Civ 4? Maybe I do need to point this poll out in the tech support forum, because there really must be more than this.

It´s playable, but I would like some improvements...

Very well, thank you.

My Dell Inspiron 9100 (which I bought in August of 2004 before I left for college) has a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4HT, Radeon 9700 Mobile 128 MB, 1 GB 333Mhz DDRRAM.

perfect with ver little slow down

P4
2.8 ghz
1 gig ram
ATI x600

No problem playing. Slows down in the modern&future era but still playable.

Four more people who can't play, all in one go (presumably one of which was Jomorisin)? Someone point this poll out in the tech support forum, or was that just coincidence?

It works reasonably well, but has minor problems

Does anyone have a poll from when the game came out? It would be interesting how the patches made the figures change...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=153828

This is about the closest I can immediately find to get that information. I know there are other polls, because I remember seeing them, but the two minute gap between searches makes it very slow and annoying to find anything if you're not sure of the exact wording.

Game play is fine so far to Warlord level. But the Movies are so Choppy that it makes more annoyance than enjoyment.
I really wish Civ4 re-introduce AVI movies like the day of Civ2.

I've 1GB Ram dual channel, Intel P4 2.8GHz, ATI 9800SE

Technically, the game runs nearly flawlessly. As a pastime, it provides an engaging problem and entertaining challenges. But in the time it takes to complete a game, I could have washed my car, done my laundry, painted the living room, and cooked a great meal. Does it work? Only as a pastime.

If the game isn't working on your computer, use the time to do something constructive and count your blessings.

Game play is fine so far to Warlord level. But the Movies are so Choppy that it makes more annoyance than enjoyment.

The movies can be turned off in the config file if they are causing problems.

I chose "...reasonably well..." since it does run for me but with some slowdown. Granted, I'm running it on a Lat. D800 with a GeForce FX Go 5200 32MB video card. My 2ghz Pentium M and 2gb RAM probably are helping quite a bit. I also have all graphics settings set to the lowest they will go and have McAfee set to ignore all the Civ files. Video's turned off, too.

Hoping to get an XPS system in the next three months if the new job comes through and I can cash in my built up annual leave. Dell's offering a free upgrade to the GeForce 7800 card for their XPS systems currently. God knows, if that doesn't run CIV without problem, I'm giving up gaming (it's the only game I play right now!).

MG

Top Bottom