Draft of Civ 5 Improvements

rkelle7

Chieftain
I am posting these drafts in civfanatics for people to go over and posting based on Game Interface/Policy tree suggestions/Cities/Units/and other such things. I will be posting throughout the day! I want to thank everyone once now that contributed to the creation of this thread! I believe it could truly could create the best strategy game of all TIME!!!!

-AwesoMe

Here is the place where we had discussions and many of these topics were brought up:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=454792

Game interface:

1.) Lobby built into the game. It could have a lobby like many other games (Command & Conquer) to improve the experience of multiplayer play. Steam is not as multiplayer friendly as you would think since it took a year for me to find out people actually played multiplayer. Building a community through a lobby would be an excellent way to promote what many think is the best way to play Civilization V (multiplayer). I heard that using a VPN (virtual private network) is possible. A lobby with rooms also divided among different styles of play that would be excellent.

2.) Pause button. Create a pause button where you can stop the game. There are several different solutions to this:
a. Ability to pause unlimited amount of times
b. Ability to pause a limited amount of time (3 maybe)
c. Ability for the host only to pause

3.) AFK button. Create an AFK button where you can set your status as “away.” By this I mean you are able to queue units/building/wonders/R.W.C. and then go away to use the restroom or whatever else you have to do for a certain period of time. There are also several different ways to implement this:
a. Set a limited amount of time you can be AFK without being kicked from the game (For example kicked after 10 minutes of being AFK).
b. Set it so you can AFK unlimited amount of time.
• In both cases (limited and unlimited) you could have it so you could vote kick a player after a limited amount of time.

4.) AFK timer. Create a situation where if you are idle in game for a certain amount of time (For example 5 minutes) you are automatically set as AFK.

5.) Improve multiplayer stability so players are able to play 4v4, 5v5, etc. Just improve the code enough for players to play with larger groups of people than are already able to with the game currently. If graphics are a problem I know many people willing to sacrifice some graphics for gameplay.

6.) Add players to friends list directly from the game. Have the ability to add friends maybe using the same box that displays player’s names/points/pings. Have it go out even further with a 2nd click to have a button in which you are able to add a player as a friend. 3rd click returns.

7.) Be able to hide leader points/pings display if you want. Some people like to see the whole screen with the chat box closed and if it was possible points display.

8.) Rejoin to last game menu option. Ability to rejoin the last game that you were playing in Civilization V. Currently in Civilization V you have to add all of the players from the game as friends or be in the same steam lobby where it is hard to find people and if you get booted or host gets booted the games over in public play.

9.) Add “pings.” Add the ability to “ping” the map. This would help in all types of multiplayer play to quickly identify an attack, defense, wonder, or any other reasonable reason you would want to “ping” the map.

10.) Ability to write on the map. Ability to post messages on tiles for reminders. As you get larger and larger in the number of players playing your communication is key for things such as selecting city planting tiles, attacks, defenses, etc. The ability to write messages that may be deleted possibly by teammates would be helpful.

11.) Built in communication system. Currently players have to use steam speak (which can glitch) or TeamSpeak 3/Ventrilo or other programs to speak to one another audibly. Maybe a built in communication system would promote more communication and free thinking in the game. Also it would build a sense of camaraderie with the Civilization V community.

12.) Better communication with program. More detailed in-game system messaging connection issues between players. Such as “Player X is dropping,” “Player X is in the process of “resync,” or “No response from Player X.” This will help identify the player with the connection issue so players can try to help the player fix the problem or replace the player.

13.) Built in ladder ranking system. Build in a ladder ranking system for Civilization 5 to show who is/are the better player(s). The only problem I foresee with this is that with the diversity of gameplay in Civilization V which is excellent some games (full diplomacy free for all or FFA especially) players will gang up on the better player to receive bonus for knocking that player out as fast as possible. So maybe ladder is built into the lobby rooms that have different play styles. (Maybe no ranking system for FFA) Such as:
a. Duel
b. FFA
c. CTON (cannot talk or negotiate FFA…always at war with other players)
d. Teamer
• Could make optional ranking system. Not forced to play ranked games.

14.) Drafting screen. Players in multiplayer like the ability to draft Civilizations due to balance and gameplay. Such as picking the strongest civ and/or counter picking the other team. An example of this would be Defense of the Ancients (DOTA). For example giving the option to “ban” (Civilizations no players can play) certain amount of civilizations and pick your Civilization usually in order from weakest to strongest player (Duel/CTON/FFA). In a teamer it has been found that the best games usually team the strongest player with the weakest player. Usually in the teamer situation the picking goes in order like so (this example will be a standard 2v2):
• Team one will be the one and four seeds and Team two will consist of two and three seeds.
1. Ban 6 Civilizations in order of *Team 1 *Team 2 *Team 2 *Team 1 *Team 1 *Team 2
2. Pick 4 Civilizations in order of *Team 2 *Team 1 *Team 1 *Team 2

15.) Ability to mod Civilization V in multiplayer. Many of the additions that will be suggested later on will consist mostly of things that can be mod’ed. Enabling mods in multiplayer will decrease the labor cost of keeping patches up to date with player demand.

16.) Speed up or Slow down game. Players have commented about speeding up the game pace and some have said slow the game pace. Personally I think the current balance is excellent

17.) Fast moving units. Where the computer’s CPU speed and internet connection determines who moves faster than who not the better player. A solution to this is when a unit is attacked a 4-5 second timer is activated before the attack occurs where the defending player has the ability to move, fortify, attack simultaneously (picking one). This would open up the game for special abilities like covert attacking (U.S.A. Navy Seals/Japanese Samurai for example). Also there could be a special defense ability/bonus for units to see hidden attackers like scouts for instance. Maybe reduce covert attacking and increase defense ability bonus when you discover satellites. Possibly make it required to launch a satellite into space to make these instances happen.

18.) Double moving. In multiplayer you can last move at the end of the turn and move at the beginning of the next turn. In Civilization IV beta came out my understanding is that any unit that moves in the last 8 seconds of a turn cannot move in the first 8 seconds of the next turn.

19.) Choosing starting locations. Being able to choose your starting location within for example 5 tiles of a set tile at beginning of game.

20.) Trade agreements. Change trade agreements so the players have the option to make the trade last longer than 25 turns. Another solution to this problem is prompt the user before trade agreement expires (Possibly with a globe and a scroll through it on the right hand side of the screen where you see other notifications). I believe the best option is to make it so trade agreements can last for as short of a time or as long of a time as the players want. So make the trade agreements indefinite until a player cancels them.

21.) Player Drops. When a player drops from a game you receive a prompt that pauses the game and asks player(s) if they would like to continue the game.

22.) Observer option.
a. Having two slots free for players to just observe. Having the option to add more should be considered. Though it might slow down the game/make it more unstable.
b. Ability to watch game play out after a player is defeated.
c. Have option to vote on whether observer is allowed.

Agreed I may put in items of importance but I like just having them the way it is so people just freely think about it. If you want to put in in order of importance plz do so. Such as 1-4-2-5-6-7-8-14-12-10 for example and if enough people do it I'll place in order of importance when I send it.

Social Policies:

1.) Liberty.
a. Liberty should be changed to “Empire” or “Expansionist”. With “Republic” changed to “Slavery” without the ability to have Empire/Expansionist at the same time as rationalism or freedom. Maybe have it so the player build a national wonder “Universal Suffrage” and slavery policy that has been changed will no longer stop players from initializing Freedom or Rationalism. Maybe this national wonder increases happiness in all cities by 5% also. It is also possible to make it a technology the player has to discover to change the social policy restrictions or change the policy to republic.
b. Reduce bonus of settler production to 25%-40% in “Collective Rule” rather than the 50% it is at right now.

2.) Honor.
a. Honor should give the player one unit that the player can pick from based on the age the player is in (Ancient, Modern etc.) and +1 population in the capital when the player initializes “Military Tradition.” Maybe keep 25% bonus in Military Tradition instead of 50% for balance.
b. Honor possibly giving the player a bonus versus walls or castles. “Professional Army” might be a good choice to add this ability to.
c. For finishing honor tree keep gold bonus and also give free courthouses to first 3 cities conquered.

3.) Autocracy and Piety.
a. This is combined because I have not thought or heard of how to tweak the policies so they are more balanced but people mentioned changes should be made.

4.) Tradition.
a. Nerf “Oligarchy” in tradition to +50% and see how it works.

Terrain Features:

1.) Fountain of Youth and El Dorado. Make Fountain of youth and El Dorado optional.

2.) Grand Mesa. Possibly make Grand Mesa more powerful. Possibly 4 hammers 3 gold.

3.) Cerro. Possibly make Cerro +7 to +8 gold per turn plus one hammer.

4.) Weather/Man Made Events. There are some excellent ideas with weather/man made events located at web address: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea...ay-would-you-like-to-see-amp-what-do-you-like
a. “Civil War.” As an example I choose Civil War event listed. I would not prompt the user to have to click something because this can affect battles. I also would not include supernatural events.
• Affect: Cultural and research production is reduced by 10% for 5 turns if you are unhappy for 30 turns straight.
• Counter: Make your civilization happy.

5.) More resources. Though the game seems mostly balanced for this but an example is to add saltpeter for Riflemen.

Cities:

1.) Balance the wide empire with the tall empire. Two actions may be taken in regards to science and a mixture of the two might be the best option:
a. To not allow a university until size 9 or so.
b. Decrease the amount of food to grow your population.
• This might mean Aztec floating garden might have to be nerfed but it would be a fair trade. Not only would this even out tall and small empires it might make tradition with growth more viable.

2.) Planting cities. If you plant a city a certain distance away from capital (example each 8 tiles away in a tiny map) at ancient era u get gold penalty and maybe extra unhappiness. Each era u can plant farther and farther away. There could also be a policy/building for this “Inefficiency.” There was a mod actually for civ 4 that I remember that had economic power in city. And if u had little power u lost the city to civil war. I don't think it was perfected but made it interesting.

3.) City cultural expansion. When the city culture expands you can pick the tile it expands to.

4.) Never starve accidently. A “never starve” button is included in the city. Meaning the default would be set in a way that you cannot micromanage a city to starve unless you uncheck the “never starve” button.

The best way to improve civ5 MP is to install civ4 BTS.

There are features that people are suggesting and I'm suggesting that have not even been used yet. Civ 4 BTS is a good game I only played it in single player but I like Civ 5 a lot. I just think it needs a few tweaks and it would be excellent. How hard these changes would be to implement is beyond me.

But if you want improve sth pls reduce units micromanagement by:
-able to group units
-able to move units in groups etc.
-do sth with very common road blockade by 1UPT rule.
I hate this slow units movement every turn, unit after unit, it is so boring.

PS I'm sure that it will not be done.

I think you're wanting to nerf the social policies too much. Autocracy is fine just the way it is.

1. I agree with oligarchy in the Tradition branch. 100% is way too OP it needs to come down.

2. Good ideas about Honour policy, but with some problems. If you go down honour and it gives you bonus say against walls then will the bonus OP the walls themself or maybe just a 10-20% bonus vs them, if its OP like 50%-100% then there is no point in even building walls. And would this go for all units? Especially since all catapults/treb/cannons all have 50% against cities so this would make them more OP i think. And would it stack if they built a castle or arsenal? +10% for each one they build? If so there would be no point in building walls. :)

3. I think the Piety/Frredom or Order social policies stacked together may need to be nerfed a little bit. Since they all mainly focus on either Culture/Food/Happiness. Either make 1 social policy completely dedicated to one or another dont mix n match.

Great people:

1.) Great Scientists.
a. Putting a 9 turn timer between a players ability to discover technologies using a great scientist. Similar to a great artist.
b. Not be able to discover technologies right away unless they are within a given number of beakers during a given era. For example a great scientist who is in ancient era produces 100 beakers and in modern a 1000.

2.) Great General. Some discussion was done about how a great general would gain experience and gain abilities. Experience with great general is interesting but should be small increments with a limit. Such as max of 3 levels with 5% bonus in combat each level.

3.) Great People Creation. Make settlers, workers, and great people appear in cities when taking policies that grant units or receiving great people from points or wonders.

4.) Great people in city produce what they specialize in.
a. Great Scientist produce +1 beakers
b. Great Artist produce +1 culture
c. Great Merchant no upkeep cost +1 gold per turn
d. Great Engineer +1 hammer
e. Nothing for Great General already gives combat bonus. Possibly +5 experience per unit produced if stationed in the city.

But if you want improve sth pls reduce units micromanagement by:
-able to group units
-able to move units in groups etc.
-do sth with very common road blockade but 1UPT rule.
I hate this slow units movement every turn, unit after unit, it is so boring.

PS I'm sure that it will not be done.

In your PS if you mean these changes won't be done I believe they will one way or another. Either through Firaxis, mods, or a totally separate game. Free civ for example is an interesting concept. http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page Or maybe someone picks up these ideas and competes with Sid Meiers Civilization game series. Maybe these changes are just too hard to implement. But I don't think so. If you mean be able to move groups I mentioned attacking with several ranged units all at once. I don't see this as being hard to do or far fetched. It makes sense. Maybe you don't start out with that ablity but as time goes on and you get new techs you are able to move/attack in groups. Such as telegraph would be able to move 4 units. writing and horseback riding would be 2. Who knows what would be three I have to think about it.

In your PS if you mean these changes won't be done I believe they will one way or another. Either through Firaxis, mods, or a totally separate game. Free civ for example is an interesting concept. http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page Or maybe someone picks up these ideas and competes with Sid Meiers Civilization game series. Maybe these changes are just too hard to implement. But I don't think so. If you mean be able to move groups I mentioned attacking with several ranged units all at once. I don't see this as being hard to do or far fetched. It makes sense. Maybe you don't start out with that ablity but as time goes on and you get new techs you are able to move/attack in groups. Such as telegraph would be able to move 4 units. writing and horseback riding would be 2. Who knows what would be three I have to think about it.

Don't you think that it is easer just to play freeciv or civ4? Why somebody should waste his time to import ideas from freeciv or civ4 into civ5?

Don't you think that it is easer just to play freeciv or civ4? Why somebody should waste his time to import ideas from freeciv or civ4 into civ5?

If I was to play freeciv I need to find developers etc to improve the game.

If I was to play Civilization IV it would defeat the purpose of new games. I really like a lot of what Civilization V is and I think this expansion will make it really good. These ideas can be used maybe in Civilization 6. Plus you don't know if they are going to change it unless you try right? Also I'm planning on making a final copy of these improvement ideas and keeping them updated every week. This will just help developers. Maybe once every 3-6 months I write firaxis to post improvements. I don't know how its going to work since I'm not done with thread yet. Yet once it is completed to my satisfaction I will keep everyone updated on the progress/response from firaxis!

Wonders:

1.) Great Wall. Nerf it so that it gives a combat bonus in friendly territory like the Himji Castle until dynamite and have walls build in the city or cities that you currently have. Possibly slow down the first tile on the border and none of the rest.

2.) Hanging Gardens. Nerf it so possibly +6-8 food per turn with more culture.

3.) Angkor Wat. Increase culture per turn from +1 to +3. Decrease cost of tiles by -35%.

4.) Porcelain Tower. Make it more relevant in multiplayer. Maybe change from +50% from research agreements to giving you beakers per turn like The Great Library. Possibly +3-6 beakers per turn plus nerfed Great Scientist.

5.) United Nations. Make more relevant. Such as policies from Civilization IV. Possibly have sanctions against a Civilization.

I think maybe the Great People should give more than that. I mean they have Great in their name for a reason. Maybe +5 of each in stead of +1?

The problem I see with that is no one would plant their great person. Also think about efficiency. One great person might discover a new tech or most of one by themself but they don't produce more intelligence in general then The Great Library. Or possibly just take away the necessity to plant on a tile to get +5 each.

Wonders:

1.) Great Wall. Nerf it so that it gives a combat bonus in friendly territory like the Himji Castle until dynamite and have walls build in the city or cities that you currently have. Possibly slow down the first tile on the border and none of the rest.

2.) Hanging Gardens. Nerf it so possibly +6-8 food per turn with more culture.

3.) Angkor Wat. Increase culture per turn from +1 to +3. Decrease cost of tiles by -35%.

4.) Porcelain Tower. Make it more relevant in multiplayer. Maybe change from +50% from research agreements to giving you beakers per turn like The Great Library. Possibly +3-6 beakers per turn plus nerfed Great Scientist.

5.) United Nations. Make more relevant. Such as policies from Civilization IV. Possibly have sanctions against a Civilization.

I agree with all of these suggestions.

1) Great Wall is OP. It's way too powerful currently.

2) HG is the most OP wonder in the game. It must be nerfed. I agree with this suggestion too.

3) Angkor Wat is the most useless wonder of them all; I would definitely like to see it buffed. This is a good way of doing it. IMO.

4) Concerning PT. When playing full diplomacy FFAs, the PT is not irrelevant at all (unless you are tech leader and nobody wants to RA with you). I can see where you're coming from when you play teamer, duel and CTON.

5) UN is the wonder I miss the most. Bring back all of the resolutions from civ IV. I would like to see nuclear non-proliferation treaties, sanctions etc. How non-aligned CS votes should depend on their personalities.

International Trade routes (bilateral trade agreements) should also be brought back. How to calculate the value of this trade is up for discussion.

I would also like to see Corporations brought back into the game. How they work is also up for discussion of course.

Economy:

1.) Negative gold per turn with no gold reserves. Currently if a player goes into negative in multiplayer they do not lose units. A change to the policy of just deleting whole units which is tough to recover from might be reasonable. Possibly make it so the player’s army’s combat bonus gets reduced by a little bit each turn it is in the negative. Also based on the percentage of the players Gross National Product (GNP). Possibly every 10% of GNP you are in the negative you become unhappy also. Maybe a 2%-3% combat strength reduction each turn in the negative. If a player is unhappy after 10 turns and in the negative the cities start to revolt and produce less. Maybe even go into civil war after 20 turns

2.) International trade routes. Currently players do not get gold from trade routes with other players. Even if they are teamed/allied with them. Maybe the amount of money the player receives is based on how far in the tech tree the players are in regards to economic technologies. Possibly connecting roads gives the player first bonus. Then currency -> banking -> economics -> railroad -> globalization.

3.) Corporations. In Civilization IV players were able to found and spread corporations. I believe this should come back in some form maybe nerfed a little bit. Possibly with less gold and production then they were given and less of a gold penalty in each city that is not a founding corporation city.

Civilizations:

1.) France. Nerf France to have +1 culture in quick mode setting. If possible maybe even +1.25 culture per turn.

2.) Additional Civilizations. Excellent thread that gives examples of different civilizations that could be created: http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?99076-50-Civilization-Civ5
• Balance of power of Civilizations included in this thread is not necessarily recommended. Great for ideas though.

Top Bottom