Draft of Civ 5 Improvements

I dont think you need to nerf France. That is their bonus, nothing wrong with the culture bonus

Here is the reasoning to my logic. You get +2 culture per turn in any game speed. Maybe +1.5 culture per turn in quick speed. But it makes no sense to have it +2 for every game speed. And the overpoweredness of France is ridiculous with the current culture I personally think. U have to factor in it spreads culture tiles as well. Not just social policies. Its pretty powerful. But these things are up for discussion. Please comment on frances culture per turn.

Social Policies:

2.) Honor.
a. Honor should give the player one or two units that the player can pick from based on the age the player is in (Ancient, Modern etc.) when the player initializes “Military Tradition.” Maybe keep 25% bonus in Military Tradition instead of 50% for balance.
b. Honor possibly giving the player a bonus versus walls or castles. “Professional Army” might be a good choice to add this ability to.
c. For finishing honor tree keep gold bonus and also give free courthouses to first 3 cities conquered.

THis changes would help alot I think. I want honor to be much more useful in the game. IMO, trad vs lib vs honor should work as rock, scissors, papers with your neighbor: trad > honor, honor > liberty, liberty > tradition.

This changed would be a step in the right direction to achieve this.

Maps:

1.) Mirror maps. Mirror maps included in a patch. Currently Nefliqus has created a mirror map option to download but it is troublesome to get everyone in a 6 player game to download it immediately before they get bored and decide to not play mirror maps. Though it is a simple process. Here is the location of the mirror map: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=443993
a. New ideas for mirror maps:
• Skirmish mirror map
• 4/6/8 “corner” mirror map.

2.) World and Regional Maps. Earth and regional maps such as USA, Europe, Asia, etc.

Social Policies:

2.) Honor.
a. Honor should give the player one or two units that the player can pick from based on the age the player is in (Ancient, Modern etc.) when the player initializes “Military Tradition.” Maybe keep 25% bonus in Military Tradition instead of 50% for balance.
b. Honor possibly giving the player a bonus versus walls or castles. “Professional Army” might be a good choice to add this ability to.
c. For finishing honor tree keep gold bonus and also give free courthouses to first 3 cities conquered.

THis changes would help alot I think. I want honor to be much more useful in the game. IMO, trad vs lib vs honor should work as rock, scissors, papers with your neighbor: trad > honor, honor > liberty, liberty > tradition.

Free units from honor is a good idea. But it can turn into an unbeateable rush strategy.

Social Policies:

2.) Honor.

When i try to go honor my exp tells my that getting out the second citi cost to much..In a FFA you only fall behind when going honor..i feel that a free settler or worker would do the work of getting honor much better..the free settler or worker should come when you get double xp

HONOR OPTION:
1.one extra culture when choosing honor..take away culture for killing barbs
2.1 pop and general and 15%producing melee-
3.free worker or settler when getting douvle xp
4.10% to ALL millitary
5.1 culture and 2(1.5)happines when garrison.
6.33%on upggrading soldiers.(and here i think the Honor finnisher should make the gold double and you get 50% when constructing corthous)and you now getting culture when killing enemy units...

This i think Honor would be more attractive in a FFA, and if you pick it ,and fail a war you wont lost the game ;)

FOR BEST FFA JOIN NO QUITTERS

I agree with Kiffe, it could turn into a very nasty strategy that would be nearly unstopable to fight against.

As for France i think they're fine just the way they are. Yes they are very strong especially with culture bonus, but that bonus is what makes France.

I agree with Kiffe, it could turn into a very nasty strategy that would be nearly unstopable to fight against.

As for France i think they're fine just the way they are. Yes they are very strong especially with culture bonus, but that bonus is what makes France.

The whole point is what Don said. Basically it should be like rock, paper, and scissors. Tradition beats honor...Honor beats liberty...and Liberty beats tradition. If you went tradition and build a unit it wouldn't be unstoppable. Though I think the unit might not be as op as you think...Just think about the free settler u get in liberty that can produce a unit or two quickly in hills. Or Oligarchy in tradition. Most people have told me to make honor even stronger in my suggestions. And I stick by my thought of nerfing france a little bit. Though if people want to discuss it more please post.

I was thinking more about France and how to balance it. Maybe drop the culture a full point and change the foreign legion to something else. Like a unique biulding during their golden ages. Please suggest unique building or unit that could replace the foreign legion.

Combat:

1.) Supply Lines. A line is drawn and is shown through middle of tiles the player exits their border to their unit. It could “right size” itself as it moves if you would like or not. Option might be given….default might be right size. I think fractional gold might be necessary to implement my next idea. Units within borders cost less than units outside of borders. Also supply line based on the technology you have and also give a weighting to the amount of supplies a unit needs. A warrior will probably needs less supplies in ancient era since they can usually feed themselves by hunting etc. But as the player gets higher and higher units the supply chain becomes increasingly important. For example mechanized infantry would not work in real life without major supply chain (engineers/energy/supplies).

2.) Moving/Attacking/Defending in groups. Meaning units in tiles next to each other can attack/fortify/defend in groups. Possibly assign numbered hotkeys after you create war formations. The number of units is based on the technology you currently have for communication. Writing/Horseback for three units at a time next to each other. Maybe supply lines that are connected can transfer orders and thus allow units to attack in a group. I do think it should be scalable by era and technology. (this includes bombarding at same time).

3.) Naval combat. People said it needed to be tweaked. I personally have never really played naval so I am ignorant. All I know is a frigate rush is super powerful. Please comment more about this topic.

4.) Ranged units. Maybe ranged units get extra defensive bonuses when being attacked across river or up a mountain. Because usually they would be able to attack for a longer period of time in real life than a melee unit stationed on the side of the river or on top of a mountain. Not a large modifier maybe 5-10% bonus. Or a first strike capability.

5.) Strategic resource penalty. Strategic resource penalty. Instead of immediately getting a -50% combat penalty make it so it steps to -50%. For example one turn without iron would be -10% to -15%. Then second turn -20% to 30%... etc. until 50%. Because they are already equipped and would just need replacement weapons.

6.) Nuke Penalty. Using a nuclear weapon creates negative happiness/culture/international trade within a player’s civilization. Maybe not? Maybe it only creates a penalty if the player who uses the nukes is the aggressor or first person to declare war. Possibly after 10 turns at war whoever uses nuclear weapons gets the penalty listed above.

7.) Scouting units. Make it so scouting units cannot take a city. The scouting units also receive a penalty when attacking/defending regular combat units with a chance to evade based on the scouting units promotions and unit itself (yes there will be more scouting units suggested).

8.) Great people, settlers, corporate execs, and scouting units can “attach” and “detach” to combat units. Ability to attach and detach from units takes one turn per attachment and one turn per detachment. When they are attached they move with the combat unit based on the speed the non-combat unit max is.

9.) Ability to do zero damage or partial damage. This would work well in the new expansion set because of the fact they are supposedly changing the health from 10 hit points to 100 hit points per unit. So maybe an archer doesn’t do more than 5 hit points (in 100 hit point system) of damage to a modern tank. The only reason the archer should do any damage is the fact a player is paying upkeep per turn so in theory its strength should remain the same throughout the game because it probably would be getting more and more efficient weapons.

10.) Option to switch off instant heals. While it’s an important part of the game currently to get instantly healed how realistic it is can be debated. Possibly a compromise between the two. If there is a supply line then it wouldn’t be instant heal, it would be “resupply.”

11.) Fortifying. Fortifying should take one movement cost to fortify with the ability to only fortify to 25% each turn. Ability to fortify multiple times with unit that has 3 or more movement and is from a certain era or above. Let’s say medieval for example. This means mechanized infantry, like in real life, should be able to fortify faster and multiple times.

12.) Mine fields. Possibly have minefields after dynamite. Or even better the forts get a bonus increase from dynamite due to mine fields. A small upgrade from 50% to 60% or so.

13.) Airlifting. Have airports in cities with possibility to airlift units from city to city. Both cities would require airports. Airlifting would expend all movement. Paratroopers in cities with airports get a bonus amount of tiles they can parachute to. Also if interceptor is covering tile that you are airlifting to you can get shot down completely or partially in transfer. If you have defensive interceptors they can intercept the interceptors. Possibility of building an international airport that constructs international trade routes to different civilizations without roads or railroads. Limited amount of air units in each city with constructed airports. Airstrikes possible also in some limited fashion. Where you can target buildings. With lower tech planes it should take multiple attacks to destroy one building. Stealth bombers…well let’s just say they should take one shot at it. Possibly counter with SAM missile sites built in cities.

14.) Embarking. Embarking should only be allowed from civilizations already claimed tiles. Until maybe a future era. Also embarked units that disembark leave a “transport” for a unit of similar strength. Kind of like how a tank would leave a stronger transport than a warrior. Ability to destroy transports when disembarking.

Combat:

1.) Supply Lines. A line is drawn and is shown through middle of tiles the player exits their border to their unit. It could “right size” itself as it moves if you would like or not. Option might be given….default might be right size. I think fractional gold might be necessary to implement my next idea. Units within borders cost less than units outside of borders. Also supply line based on the technology you have and also give a weighting to the amount of supplies a unit needs. A warrior will probably needs less supplies in ancient era since they can usually feed themselves by hunting etc. But as the player gets higher and higher units the supply chain becomes increasingly important. For example mechanized infantry would not work in real life without major supply chain (engineers/energy/supplies).

2.) Moving/Attacking/Defending in groups. Meaning units in tiles next to each other can attack/fortify/defend in groups. Possibly assign numbered hotkeys after you create war formations. The number of units is based on the technology you currently have for communication. Writing/Horseback for three units at a time next to each other. Maybe supply lines that are connected can transfer orders and thus allow units to attack in a group. I do think it should be scalable by era and technology. (this includes bombarding at same time).

3.) Naval combat. People said it needed to be tweaked. I personally have never really played naval so I am ignorant. All I know is a frigate rush is super powerful. Please comment more about this topic.

4.) Ranged units. Maybe ranged units get extra defensive bonuses when being attacked across river or up a mountain. Because usually they would be able to attack for a longer period of time in real life than a melee unit stationed on the side of the river or on top of a mountain. Not a large modifier maybe 5-10% bonus. Or a first strike capability.

5.) Strategic resource penalty. Strategic resource penalty. Instead of immediately getting a -50% combat penalty make it so it steps to -50%. For example one turn without iron would be -10% to -15%. Then second turn -20% to 30%... etc. until 50%. Because they are already equipped and would just need replacement weapons.

6.) Nuke Penalty. Using a nuclear weapon creates negative happiness/culture/international trade within a player’s civilization. Maybe not? Maybe it only creates a penalty if the player who uses the nukes is the aggressor or first person to declare war. Possibly after 10 turns at war whoever uses nuclear weapons gets the penalty listed above.

7.) Scouting units. Make it so scouting units cannot take a city. The scouting units also receive a penalty when attacking/defending regular combat units with a chance to evade based on the scouting units promotions and unit itself (yes there will be more scouting units suggested).

8.) Great people, settlers, corporate execs, and scouting units can “attach” and “detach” to combat units. Ability to attach and detach from units takes one turn per attachment and one turn per detachment. When they are attached they move with the combat unit based on the speed the non-combat unit max is.

9.) Ability to do zero damage or partial damage. This would work well in the new expansion set because of the fact they are supposedly changing the health from 10 hit points to 100 hit points per unit. So maybe an archer doesn’t do more than 5 hit points (in 100 hit point system) of damage to a modern tank. The only reason the archer should do any damage is the fact a player is paying upkeep per turn so in theory its strength should remain the same throughout the game because it probably would be getting more and more efficient weapons.

10.) Option to switch off instant heals. While it’s an important part of the game currently to get instantly healed how realistic it is can be debated. Possibly a compromise between the two. If there is a supply line then it wouldn’t be instant heal, it would be “resupply.”

11.) Fortifying. Fortifying should take one movement cost to fortify with the ability to only fortify to 25% each turn. Ability to fortify multiple times with unit that has 3 or more movement and is from a certain era or above. Let’s say medieval for example. This means mechanized infantry, like in real life, should be able to fortify faster and multiple times.

12.) Mine fields. Possibly have minefields after dynamite. Or even better the forts get a bonus increase from dynamite due to mine fields. A small upgrade from 50% to 60% or so.

13.) Airlifting. Have airports in cities with possibility to airlift units from city to city. Both cities would require airports. Airlifting would expend all movement. Paratroopers in cities with airports get a bonus amount of tiles they can parachute to. Also if interceptor is covering tile that you are airlifting to you can get shot down completely or partially in transfer. If you have defensive interceptors they can intercept the interceptors. Possibility of building an international airport that constructs international trade routes to different civilizations without roads or railroads. Limited amount of air units in each city with constructed airports. Airstrikes possible also in some limited fashion. Where you can target buildings. With lower tech planes it should take multiple attacks to destroy one building. Stealth bombers…well let’s just say they should take one shot at it. Possibly counter with SAM missile sites built in cities.

14.) Embarking. Embarking should only be allowed from civilizations already claimed tiles. Until maybe a future era. Also embarked units that disembark leave a “transport” for a unit of similar strength. Kind of like how a tank would leave a stronger transport than a warrior. Ability to destroy transports when disembarking.

I like the supply line idea. Maybe introduce a supply train to which all supply lines go. Not having a supply train in the proximity of your units will bring about combat penalties for you units. Likewise, it could be possible to "block" your adversaries' supply lines, thus causing combat penalties for his units waring on the battlefront.

Look at my very rough drawing on how I picture this.

Attachments

• supply train simple drawing.png
    supply train simple drawing.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 44
Units:

1.) Crossbowmen and all unique xbow units. Nerf these xbows to combat strength 7-8 from 10.

2.) Explorer. The scouting unit mentioned earlier. Same as scout in strength and combat penalties but has ignore terrain costs upgrade and cost a little more production (If covert ablity is enacted maybe scale the cost of producing this unit with the technologies they have discovered. Also if it were enacted it would make explorers the necessary upgrade of scouts to detect covert units of the time after this technology…some technology before dynamite...maybe Chemistry? Though to keep it simple without covert attacks/defense maybe the player just has to get the replacement for the scout at the discovery of chemistry and give it an ignore terrain cost promotion.

-Combat is nice.. Supply lines is a neat idea. Like the strategic resource penalty over time and not all at once

-Nuke penalty is stupid.. :)

-Scouts should not be able to take cities

-Mine Fields are nice, after Modern, not Industrial/Dynamite

-Fortifying uses a movement point and decrease it. 15% for 1 turn 30% for 2 turns maybe?

-Archer 3-4 Melee def. Crossbow 5-6 Melee def.

TURN BASED MULTIPLAYER SMACX STYLE

The first number of turn is simultaneously played (up to like 60 turns)

After this turns are sequential. While it is not your turn you can adjust build order in your cities, move the city squares around, players can also move there units - as in, give orders, intended goto's/workers orders etc.

The actual moving of the units is done sequentially. Each player has 1-5 seconds per unit and city designated to them (depending the setting).

Players also have time extensions (imagine the clock in chess), when you finish early you can bank a little bit of time, and use extentions when needed.

This format would be marginally longer than a game played simultaneously. Obviously the game could still be played simultaneously as an option.

I imagine less errors/lag

Lastly, I can't imagine this would be very hard to code into the game since games like alpha centauri managed just fine.

Top Bottom