DS GotW, July 20 - 26

JohnSearle

Chieftain
Just finished beating the new GotW, so figured I'd be the first to start this one off...

Civ: Ghandi
Difficulty: Emperor
Finish Date: 1990AD
Victory Condition: Technological
Score: 66472
Leader Rank: 1st
Attempt: 1st (Figured I'd add this, since this does affect the score)

I ended up going for a tech victory simply because it was the one victory I was missing with Ghandi. Next GotW I plan to go with someone other than Ghandi, and perhaps crank the difficulty to Deity.

Civ: Ghandi
Finish Date: 1990AD
Victory Condition: Technological
Score: 66472
Attempt: 1st

That looks like a solid, solid performance JS. I should be finished w/ mine today.

Civ: Germany
Difficulty: Deity
Finish Date: 2022AD
Victory Condition: Cultural
Score: 27114

The game:
Spoiler :
I had no victory condition in mind and flip-flopped throughout the game, so I ended up with quite a late finish.

Ancient era I rushed Beijing early with warriors and failed against their archers, so came back with catapults and took all their cities on my continent. They fled east to those islands and survived until the end of the game, and I was never at war with China again.

Medieval and Industrial era I was cruising in Republic padding out Berlin and Beijing to size 21 and 25 respectively and raking in the science for a military lead, then hoping to switch to Democracy and get an easy economic win. I held Egypt off in a choke point for a long time, but this was the only military action I had mid-game.

Modern era the Greeks decided to crash the party and came out of nowhere and started to build the space ship. I paid Egypt and Russia to declare war on Greece to slow them down. Meanwhile I maxed my big cities for gold and rushed a load of tanks, fighters, battleships and eventually bombers, and invaded their continent and took Athens on the next turn.

Then took Delphi next turn, and thanks to the 7 or 8 great people being held in those two cities I shot up the cultural ranking. Eritria and Thessalonica flipped to me shortly after.

I started to build the space ship as a back up and the Russians got angry and sent 10-15 fighter wings to stop me. They failed to do any real damage but I lost about the same amount stopping them.

All that was left was to build the UN in Beijing, the site of my first conquest. :king:

Civ: Germany
Difficulty: Deity
Finish Date: 2022AD
Victory Condition: Cultural
Score: 27114

The game:
Spoiler :
I had no victory condition in mind and flip-flopped throughout the game, so I ended up with quite a late finish.

Ancient era I rushed Beijing early with warriors and failed against their archers, so came back with catapults and took all their cities on my continent. They fled east to those islands and survived until the end of the game, and I was never at war with China again.

Medieval and Industrial era I was cruising in Republic padding out Berlin and Beijing to size 21 and 25 respectively and raking in the science for a military lead, then hoping to switch to Democracy and get an easy economic win. I held Egypt off in a choke point for a long time, but this was the only military action I had mid-game.

Modern era the Greeks decided to crash the party and came out of nowhere and started to build the space ship. I paid Egypt and Russia to declare war on Greece to slow them down. Meanwhile I maxed my big cities for gold and rushed a load of tanks, fighters, battleships and eventually bombers, and invaded their continent and took Athens on the next turn.

Then took Delphi next turn, and thanks to the 7 or 8 great people being held in those two cities I shot up the cultural ranking. Eritria and Thessalonica flipped to me shortly after.

I started to build the space ship as a back up and the Russians got angry and sent 10-15 fighter wings to stop me. They failed to do any real damage but I lost about the same amount stopping them.

All that was left was to build the UN in Beijing, the site of my first conquest. :king:

Thanks for the breakdown of the game. I just tried a deity game myself, and my tactics (of focused gold production) work less effectively.

I'd be interested in comparing next week's GotW - when I go deity - with yours, so please post another breakdown :D

BTW, does the level of difficultly and finish date give you a score multiplier at all? It does in previous civs, but not so sure about this one.

- John

Thanks for the breakdown of the game. I just tried a deity game myself, and my tactics (of focused gold production) work less effectively.

Early it seems better to keep cities focused on science or production, and get gold in other ways, like barbarians, stealing and caravans. Once you have big trade cities you can switch between science and gold.

BTW, does the level of difficultly and finish date give you a score multiplier at all? It does in previous civs, but not so sure about this one.

Not sure on either. Perhaps keep an eye on this thread though.

Civ: Shaka Zulu
Finish Date: 2042 AD
Victory Condition: Economic
Score: 15,004
Leader Rank: 3rd

Spoiler :
I thought I was going to lose this one, but then the AI came to my rescue. ;) As Shaka, I was aimed at taking advantage of the +1 Impi movement, but it didn't work out.

I planted my second city across the mountains from Mao's capital, then I back filled - also settled the large island to the north w/ 3 cities and made an island city west of Zimbabwe. I I ended up w/ 10 cities.

I found Cleo & Bismarck to be especially aggressive this game, particularly Cleo - who I thought was going to snag a Culture win. Fortunately, geography made it difficult for them to hurt me.

Since I was woefully behind in tech, I went for the Economic victory. Germany & Egypt always wanted gold for peace, but I wouldn't give it to them. Only when they were satisfied w/ some tech would I get a respite. Most of my cities either focused on production or gold. Zimbabwe was cranking out near 600 gold / turn late in the game.

I think I'm going to work on my early rush before moving to deity, for now. I guess I could replay this one on deity like JohnSearle did - good idea.

Stats:
  • Population = 3,850
  • Military = 3,016
  • Buildings = 2,586
  • Technology = 2,126
  • Gold = 2,980

Civ: Shaka Zulu
Finish Date: 2042 AD
Victory Condition: Economic
Score: 15,004
Leader Rank: 3rd

Spoiler :
I thought I was going to lose this one, but then the AI came to my rescue. ;) As Shaka, I was aimed at taking advantage of the +1 Impi movement, but it didn't work out.

I planted my second city across the mountains from Mao's capital, then I back filled - also settled the large island to the north w/ 3 cities and made an island city west of Zimbabwe. I I ended up w/ 10 cities.

I found Cleo & Bismarck to be especially aggressive this game, particularly Cleo - who I thought was going to snag a Culture win. Fortunately, geography made it difficult for them to hurt me.

Since I was woefully behind in tech, I went for the Economic victory. Germany & Egypt always wanted gold for peace, but I wouldn't give it to them. Only when they were satisfied w/ some tech would I get a respite. Most of my cities either focused on production or gold. Zimbabwe was cranking out near 600 gold / turn late in the game.

I think I'm going to work on my early rush before moving to deity, for now. I guess I could replay this one on deity like JohnSearle did - good idea.

Stats:
  • Population = 3,850
  • Military = 3,016
  • Buildings = 2,586
  • Technology = 2,126
  • Gold = 2,980

Good idea with the score breakdown. Next week I'll follow your leads and produce a summary and score breakdown.

- John

Civ: Zulu
Finish Date: 1952 AD
Victory Condition: Domination
Score: 19913
Attempt: 2nd (First was with Romans using one city, got over 21,000)

Civ: Zulu
Finish Date: 1952 AD
Victory Condition: Domination
Score: 19913
Attempt: 2nd (First was with Romans using one city, got over 21,000)

Well done XxtraLarGe. I'm working on Emperor games atm, as I work through games w/ each civ. I think I'm going to stick w/ Emperor on the next GotW.

Top Bottom