Dungeons & Dragons: Mystara

I am playing the Kwythellar. There is no Farming, Irrigation, or Mining in my tech tree or Worker ability. There is nothing in the Civilopedia about limitations on Worker abilities per culture. This should not be an unpleasant surprise: my Workers will never be able to mine, irrigate, and only late in the game can they even build a road on a mountain to get that gem. With all due respect to what otherwise seems like it should be a cool mod, these lack of abilities rather suck (they make the game much less fun for me) and the complete lack of indication/documentation on these limitations per civ is unpardonable. A player should know what he's in for by choosing a certain civilization. Not being able to irrigate is like having one culture know how to talk, but not write, and another be able to write but not talk. The way techs trade around in this game, it makes no sense to not be able to mine or irrigate.

Why is the game this way, and what's the logic behind why this is a good idea/fun to play?

-S-

Does no one have any comment or clarification on why whole races are unable to mine or irrigate? Do others enjoy this painful limitation?

-S-

Well, it seems this thread is not so frequented nowadays. AFAIR, the restrictions that you encountered are there by design. The reasoning behind them should be buried somewhere in this thread.

As to your point that it would be good to know about these restriction in advance, I agree. :)

Yes, my irritation was due to encountering those limitations well into a game I was otherwise much enjoying. I very much want to like this scenario, but if races are limited wholly from irrigating or mining, it takes away too much of the fun for me. I am just able to tolerate the lack of deforestation ability to Loren in the Warhammer scenario, but it makes sense. Mining and irrigation are too critical to be done without for an entire game though, in my opinion.

-S-

I am playing the Kwythellar. There is no Farming, Irrigation, or Mining in my tech tree or Worker ability. There is nothing in the Civilopedia about limitations on Worker abilities per culture. This should not be an unpleasant surprise: my Workers will never be able to mine, irrigate, and only late in the game can they even build a road on a mountain to get that gem. With all due respect to what otherwise seems like it should be a cool mod, these lack of abilities rather suck (they make the game much less fun for me) and the complete lack of indication/documentation on these limitations per civ is unpardonable. A player should know what he's in for by choosing a certain civilization. Not being able to irrigate is like having one culture know how to talk, but not write, and another be able to write but not talk. The way techs trade around in this game, it makes no sense to not be able to mine or irrigate.

Why is the game this way, and what's the logic behind why this is a good idea/fun to play?

-S-
Kwythellar is the only civ that can build forests. It's actually good if they start in a cold region with mostly tundra (or whatever the cold terrain is called). They can forests build on the tundra and then build cities on the forests.

Most civs can build mines or irrigation but not both. Very few can make both.

Mystara is probably the easiest mod I've ever played. There are a bunch of city improvements that provide extra food and resources from sea tiles. Those improvements almost make irrigation and mining irrelevant. Civs that can mine can generally get over 60 resources easily in a coastal city. In Mystara, coastal cities are your best investments.

Sorry If I shouldn't post here. I can't seem to find the link to download mystara. Can anyone help me out. I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

i just downloaded this and i cant figure out where to extract it to or what to do with the files ive tried a couple things that arent working if someone could help me out

Did you put the Mystara directory in Conquests/scenarios? That's where the biq file should be too. Exactly what errors are you getting that's causing it to not work? And specifically what is the symptom that makes you say it's not working? Just saying, "It doesn't work help me," doesn't give me much information.

i was able to fix it some of the files were missing or something anyway had to re download and i am enjoying it now
thanks!

phlegmak-
i tried to get to that site you posted for the download- but it wont let me register for an account, errors errors errors, on and on...

any idea if there is somewhere else to get it?

phlegmak-
i tried to get to that site you posted for the download- but it wont let me register for an account, errors errors errors, on and on...

any idea if there is somewhere else to get it?
You're just going to have to register for the invisionfree.com site. I did. What errors did it give you? I'm using Seamonkey as my browser, if it matters.

Looks like the download isnt currently working can someone take a look?

I did manage to find my way to the downlaod, but any idea where the scenarios (like the 100x100 and 160x160 maps) can be found?

I know that, and I'm registered, and have been enjoying playing it, a friend of mine was trying to download and couldnt, we both got a 100k rar file which didnt do anything, must have been a problem with the site as it seems fine today.

I did manage to find my way to the downlaod, but any idea where the scenarios (like the 100x100 and 160x160 maps) can be found?

I just took a quick look in this file:

Mystara-Full.rar

And this is the biq file:

Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios\D&D-Mystara.biq

I know there are two maps. I don't know where the second one is.

There's a mystara-patch.rar file too, by the way, which also contains the same biq file.

Hmm, this thread seems more or less dead, but I hope someone will be able to address my issues.

So I've downloaded the full mod from the link provided above (whew, sure took some time!) and of course, with my luck, ran into some problems. Which make me wonder whether or not there is some patch released to fix them. Anyway, one thing at a time.

Everything was working, and there were 2 maps in the 'text' folder, which I copied into the 'conquests' folder. In this folder I have also put the rest of the folders. I loaded the game, everything was dandy, but I stumbled into two problems.

First was right after choosing the scenario. There are two maps included, first one is D&D-Mystara 19.biq (which is the random map, with which I got no problems) and the second one is d&d-mystara-world map.biq which I can't play. When I choose it, I get the following error message: ERROR READING FILE "Missing entry in Conquests\D&D-Mystara\text\Pedialcons.txt" ICON_BLDG_Timber_Palisade. And afterwards, of course, the game will now exit.

The second problem appears after choosing the race of Malpheggi (Lizardfolk) and it appears just after building the very first Hobgoblin Warrior. Here's what it says: FILE NOT FOUND "Art\Units\Frank\..\Swordsman\Swordmanfortify.wav" And afterwards yet again, the game will now exit.

Now I am by no means familiar with modding, but if someone could please give a solution to that, because the mod looks gorgeous (I have played a bit with other races on random map and have no other problems so far, just those two). And the fact that I can't play that map and I can't play with Lizardfolk (unless I skip the Hobgoblin Warrior and move right to producing Lizardmen) is a bit annoying.

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom