Ed hinting at more South American civs

Patriotism is great, but suggesting that Brazil has been as influential in world affairs as the US is a bit petty.

Nobody made the claim that Brasil is influential in world affairs, and neither is global influence a requirement to be included as a civilization.

As I mentioned before, if they insist on continuing to add more modern civs like America and Brazil, I really hope they include a feature to disable them--and of course it could work the other way as well for those who say they don't like ancient civs.
With or without Brazil, that option is long overdue, IMO. And so easy to implement, too.

Would be nice if Firaxis took the civ3 route with leaders... update them through the ages :)

I don't know, I'd rather they put that effort into making diferent leaders as opposed to making 4 variations of one. That way you can also get diferent age leaders.

I believe the Incas should come in the base game. Brazil may come DLCs or expansions. I dare say that South America will have at least two new civilizations:

-Gran Colombia: Not likely. Because it lasted a short time, and do not know if Gran Colombia is representative enough to get into the game. Although Simon Bolivar was a great South American leader.

-Argentine: Most likely than Gran Colombia. Although the addition of Argentina in the game means the entry of other modern nations, such as Canada, Australia and Mexico.

-Guaranis: Very likely. It is one of the largest Amerindian groups in the Americas, and occupies a large territory of South America, covering territories of Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay.

-Arawak: Very likely. For reasons similar to the Guarani, holds vast large areas of South America and some Caribbean countries. I am very believer that we will have a new native civilization in South America.

-Mapuches: Great possibilities. They occupy areas of Argentina and Chile. They can get into the game occupying the vacant space of southern South America.

These are my guesses

I believe the Incas should come in the base game. Brazil may come DLCs or expansions. I dare say that South America will have at least two new civilizations:

-Gran Colombia: Not likely. Because it lasted a short time, and do not know if Gran Colombia is representative enough to get into the game. Although Simon Bolivar was a great South American leader.

-Argentine: Most likely than Gran Colombia. Although the addition of Argentina in the game means the entry of other modern nations, such as Canada, Australia and Mexico.

-Guaranis: Very likely. It is one of the largest Amerindian groups in the Americas, and occupies a large territory of South America, covering territories of Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay.

-Arawak: Very likely. For reasons similar to the Guarani, holds vast large areas of South America and some Caribbean countries. I am very believer that we will have a new native civilization in South America.

-Mapuches: Great possibilities. They occupy areas of Argentina and Chile. They can get into the game occupying the vacant space of southern South America.

These are my guesses

I'd love to see Arawak. Civ has never had anyone to represent the Caribbean area, if I remember correctly

I'd love to see Arawak. Civ has never had anyone to represent the Caribbean area, if I remember correctly

The Arawak were in Civilization: Colonization. :D

I forgot about the Arawak! That seems likely for a new SA civ if they are concerned about TSL, like they've said.

Would be nice if Firaxis took the civ3 route with leaders... update them through the ages :)

Considering leader screens are the most expensive and time-consuming element in making a civilization, I'd rather they didn't waste the resources on something so trivial.

The Arawak were in Civilization: Colonization. :D

Ah. Forgot about that. I never played Colonization much although I started playing civ at civ 4. Still, the Arawak have never been in a base game

This is long overdue. I am Spanish and It was clear to me that latin america has been whoefully underrepresented during the saga. Lots of talk about eurocentrism, but it broke my heart to see the Iroquois getting a civ 5 slot before the much more advanced Incas or the mighty Mapuche.

As for who could fit into the South American slot, besides the obvious Incas & Mayans (and nope, Aztecs are a Central American / North American native civilization):

- Mapuche. Probably the most baddass Native civ, american or otherwise. Successfully resisted the Spanish colonial conquest, had a highly developed social leadership system and developed a quite distinct art style. Gameplay should probably revolve around their great generals / priests and their artisanate-based trade networks.

- Gran Colombia. Very short lived civ, but actually one of the coolest "what ifs" ever, Gran Colombia was the dream project of Simon Bolivar: a unified United States of South America, comprising current Colombia, Venezuela, Panama & Bolivia. It could also offer a great, iconic leader and lots of gameplay opportunities based around liberation wars & diplomatic coalitions.

- Tiwanaku. One of the longest lived South American native cultures, the Tiwanaku culture exerted its power mainly due to religious influence and the huge agricultural ouput that the Titicaca lake was able to provide. That allowed it to develop a highly complex monumental architecture and great urban planning, which could fit very well with the new district system.

If a Gran Colombia civ were in the game, it's likely that it would just be called "Colombia" as in the modern nation. Mapuche and Tiwakanu are also pretty cool, but I doubt that Fraxis would add them.

<snip>

I think they realized how jingoistic it looked to make everyone end up adopting Western apparel like it was just an inevitable eventuality.

I always thought that this was kind of a silly feature. For me is more immersion breaker to see Lincoln in a lioncloth and Shaka in a suit than dealing with the same leader throughout the ages.

I think they realized how jingoistic it looked to make everyone end up adopting Western apparel like it was just an inevitable eventuality.

Also this. All the effort for diversity and representativity end up being of no use when the game discreetly tells you that Western is the way to go.

Civ has never taken itself that seriously and has been infused with whimsy. I had no problem seeing Lincoln in a loincloth. Lol.

As far as modern leader all looking Western, that's basically what happened in history. It gives you a visual clue on where the AI civs are at and is hardly a mocking of other cultures.

I'm not saying I want this feature to return in CIV VI but it was fine for its time.

As far as modern leader all looking Western, that's basically what happened in history. It gives you a visual clue on where the AI civs are at and is hardly a mocking of other cultures.

I disagree. It only "happened in history" in the sense that Western culture became the dominant culture by the 19th and 20th centuries continuing into the 21st, and even then it was more American culture superseding European culture. That could very well change into the latter half of the 21st or into the 22nd century and so on.

Moreover, since we're working with alternate history where anyone from the Babylonians to the Inca to the Mongolians and even the Polynesians could end up being the dominant civilization by the "modern age," suits and ties being the universal fashion norm should be viewed as far from inevitable.

I disagree. It only "happened in history" in the sense that Western culture became the dominant culture by the 19th and 20th centuries continuing into the 21st, and even then it was more American culture superseding European culture. That could very well change into the latter half of the 21st or into the 22nd century and so on.

Moreover, since we're working with alternate history where anyone from the Babylonians to the Inca to the Mongolians and even the Polynesians could end up being the dominant civilization by the "modern age," suits and ties being the universal fashion norm should be viewed as far from inevitable.

Whatever the case, it did happen and the clothing styles changing are somewhat historically accurate. There was nothing wrong with that. It wasn't an enditement on other cultures.

If you want a true alternate history, are you going to have the other civs adopt the leading Civ's clothing style around the year 1800? Or perhaps the Civ with the most culture/tourism?

Too much hassle, if you ask me. Plus it would blow their art budget. :crazyeye:

Whatever the case, it did happen and the clothing styles changing are somewhat historically accurate. There was nothing wrong with that. It wasn't an enditement on other cultures.

If you want a true alternate history, are you going to have the other civs adopt the leading Civ's clothing style around the year 1800? Or perhaps the Civ with the most culture/tourism?

Too much hassle, if you ask me. Plus it would blow their art budget. :crazyeye:

Besides it thats what cultural influence is for ingame, hopefully they'll implement it like in the Civ5 mod, so you would get messages like "Our people is now eating Sushi and wearing Kimonos thanks to you" or something along those lines.

Would be a nice touch if they're going in that direction.

Imagine Elizabeth I wearing a hanfu because China has the most culture. Or going bear-breasted because the Zulus are dominant.

Spoiler :

It's too bad there will probably never be a Nepalese civ.

Top Bottom