[BNW] Embargo against me and no trade with city states

dx486

Chieftain
Year: 1935
Map: Huge earth map (true locations) (22 civs 42 city states, AFAIR)
Difficulty: King
Nation: The Huns
My policies are tradition (full tree), commerce, rationalism and order.

I was planning a science victory and everything was going well for me. I was one of the most advanced and strongest nations. Ethopia, Siam, Brazil, China, United States are other strong nations. I had to deal with Rome, Denmark and Ottomans in the middle ages and I won. My lands are now in Asia, Anatolia, northern Africa and India. I conquered all Russia in the early ages, western and southern Anatolia and Greece later on. I expanded not for military victory. I fight them because they declared war to me, and I guess I could not resist conquering a few strategic cities when I have a stronger military/navy. I built a city in India, in a very resourceful location, when all of its surroundings were empty. Just for resources. I did not build more cities there near other resources in India while I could do it. Then Persia, Ethopia and Siam came there making us neighbors. However they did not want my city in India. They attacked it hard. Especially Ethopia. Huge army. And Siam, elephants... However they could not take it. I was defending my city well in the battlefield. Then they attacked me economically. And it was successful.

Thanks to Ethiopia and Siam things have suddenly dramatically changed for me. Their two resolutions passed in the same World Council. Embargo to the Huns and no trade is allowed with city states. Now my economy is in a disaster. Siam has Patronage policies, many city-state allies. Now my caravans are only work for food and productions carriage! No gold!

I was gaining app. +100 gold every turn, now I lose app. -150 gold every turn. And happiness decreased from +10s to -20+ very quickly. Riots began. Revolts were ahead.

Then, almost everybody in the world declared war to me suddenly, except my only loyal ally, the United States.

Now I see this message every turn: "Your treasury is empty and your economy is now producing 0 gold per turn or less! If the empire reaches -5 GPT some of your units will be forced to disband!"

To fix the happiness problem at least, I gave back two of my puppet cities to Ottomans, in the northern Africa. I did not gain much with those cities either. I was only planning to attack Ethopia through them.

Now with -4 happiness, riots and revolts danger is away. I have only one puppet city, in the northern Greece, a developed one, I don't want to gift it to somebody unless I am desperate.

Now I managed to make peace with every nations, except Siam. I am planning to attack them with my Great War Bombers and Infantries.

I would like to discuss my current situation and take your advices:

1. I lose 1/5 of my science output because of my budget deficit every turn. However I don't lose a military unit every turn. Why? I only lose one unit in a couple of turns. Is it about GPT? Where can I see my current GPT?

2. My plan is attacking Siam heavily in order to annul those two World Council resolutions. I can't see any other way. He is controlling lots of them. If he is in a bad shape he can't keep his good relations with city states. I must control delegates of city states to be able to pass a resolution compelling the ones against me. What do you think?

3. Do you see any other way to save my economy?

Last edited:
Negative gpt first reduces your science output, before disbanding units.

You're probably only going to be able to eliminate Siam's hold on CSs by eliminating him from the game -- internal issues in his empire will have no effect on CS alliances.

And remember to pillage, pillage and pillage some more to generate gold.

Top Bottom