Emperor Cookbook III -- Kublai Kahn

Spoiler :

Started off ok, settled fish/horse got the horse up asap. Before i could build 2 kesniks Hammi DOW. Lost the gold city even after frantic whipping. Sadly not enough EP for city revolt, so lose a half decent stack on bablyon.

Perhaps it could have turned out better but perhaps not.

View attachment 200524

Spoiler :
Wow!!!! Hammy attacked :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Problem with Hammy is his bowmen actually are quite strong vs axes and swords.

In terms of winning the war with your UU this is not a terrible situation. Although swords vs HA are pretty even at times.

On my game I did have to pump out the UU pretty much solidly from all 4-5 cities. The capital was key to this process.

I think it was going to be difficult if any AI DOW'd.

Spoiler :
My main objective was building more cities. I lost the farm in the gold city very early, so tried to build cultural buildings there. I got a great engineer that I used for the mausoleum. This is not normally a favourite of mine, but it had the greatest culture of the available wonders. Research has suffered somewhat from the expansion, but not too badly. I concentrated new units on the two border towns.

RJM

Attachments

• RJM ECIII round 2 AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    181 KB · Views: 82
Spoiler :
My main objective was building more cities. I lost the farm in the gold city very early, so tried to build cultural buildings there. I got a great engineer that I used for the mausoleum. This is not normally a favourite of mine, but it had the greatest culture of the available wonders. Research has suffered somewhat from the expansion, but not too badly. I concentrated new units on the two border towns.

RJM

Spoiler :

Hmmm I always said this would be a tough game.

Still no horse hooked up!!! 5-6 turns wait. I dont think swords and axes will keep hammy and the other Ai at bay. As proven by another save on here.

Although hammy's empire is stuck on 4 cities. When he reaches machinery he will be a real PITA to take out with melee alone. When castles/pikemen arrive the window may close completely. HA vs LB/xbow is still possible but phants are strong vs mongal UU. Hammy is not short on ivory either.

For me a lot of the cities are placed too closely for my liking and will be staunted in growth.

Hmmmm

That being said its one of the better saves in terms of position so far. No alexander stacks on this save. :lol:

Hi :hatsoff:,

To 800 AD:

Spoiler :
Went for a builder round...
Built a city grabbing horse, fish, marble, another grabbing spice, pigs, and crabs, and another grabbing iron, rice, and clams.
Techs were: HBR -> Sailing -> Music (got the GA, settled him in the gold city) -> COL -> CS -> Paper -> Started education. The rest were traded.
I got a GS which built an academy in Karakoum and a GE which rushed the Mausoleum in the gold city (culture fight). Shedagon Paya are due next turn in the gold city as well, and the Sixtine Chapel will finish in three turns in the other city near Babylon. The Parthenon is in Karakoum.
No military build up so far, Alex is busy with Darius and Zara (peace right now, but it has been bloody).
Plan is to keep teching and building until we have the production to kill people :)

Techs:

Eastern part:

Western part:

The EPs on Saladin haven't been used, but could be used on engeenering in 7 turns...

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

Attachments

• Emperor Cookbook Raskolnikov AD-0800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    179.8 KB · Views: 116
My goal for this age was to do the whole war thing with Hammi. I did a bit of reading up beforehand, and I think it really helped.

Spoiler :

The first thing I did was get the horse/marble/fish city built and connected ASAP. I built Gers in all of my cities, then started cranking out Keshiks. I really don’t like normal speed because I didn’t have any time at all to built up my cities with marketplaces/courthouses/etc., but in a way, it forced me to focus on military which I usually have trouble doing. I don’t know WTF I was thinking when I used my great spy on Saladin rather than Hammi… but, I got a 2nd great spy so I used it on Hammi and stole several techs from him.

When I had about 10 or so Keshiks (which I rushed with chopping and the whip) I declared war on Hammi. Unfortunately Frederick declared on me next turn, but I got peace for free with him as soon as he was willing to speak. I sent my Keshiks towards Babylon and used my spy to ‘incite riots’ which took away all of their cultural defenses, and Babylon fell easily. I continued to crank out Keshiks for a few more turns, and have only just started focusing on economic buildings again. Just took Akkad the same way (though now the city is totally surrounded with culture from Zara which sucks). My Keshiks are just about all healed up and are sitting in Babylon ready to continue the madness. I still have enough espionage points to easily incite riots in both of Hammi’s remaining cities (though my spys are still several turns away). On a side note, I got a great general and attached him to a Keshik… hope this was the right thing to do, I never quite know what to do with great generals.

As far as tech goes, I teched and stole so that I am pretty much backfilled all the way to paper (which I am working on now). The only techs I am missing that other civs have are Machinery, Theology and Philosophy. I got a GS and built an academy in my capital.

Tech situation:

Spoiler :

My economy is probably the weakest thing about this save—but it isn’t anything that a few marketplaces and courthouses shouldn’t fix. My relations are also pretty crummy (everyone kept demanding that I declare war/assist etc with their petty bickering—mostly between Alexander and everyone else). I am a little concerned that Zara might backstab me, but hes still pleased, so hopefully it should work out ok.

Relations:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• ECIII - Chromium (1 AD - 800 AD).CivBeyondSwordSave
    180.9 KB · Views: 152
The round is over--here are the submitted saves (looks like we have some really good ones this time!)

Soirana: Post, Save

Gumbolt: Post, Save

KingMorgan: Post, Save

RJM: Post, Save

RRRaskolnikov: Post, Save

ChromiumL: Post, Save

We will vote for two days (until Wednesday) and then we will determine a winner and start the next round!

Okay I think there are 3 obvious choices.

1. Soirana - His rush is on Hammy was a success and he has 2-3 more cities from this. The science rate at over 100 beakers a turn is good. Akkad is going to be a pain to keep. Might flip to yaqob. The extra land will be useful.

2. RRRaskolnikov - You have a good tech situation going on. Your capital could be a useful GP farm. I am concerned about the lack of military though. Although Hammy is still stuck on archers and phants. You could be pumping macemen and KK. You are building an awful lot of wonders!! Not sure the sistine chapel is going to help much. if you have philosophy Sw wonder is less useful too.

3. ChromiumL - Your rush seemed a lot more prepared than mine. Its a shame you didnt plant the first GS on Hammy! GS are really useful if you dont have catapults and to steal techs too. Its quite hard to get a spy across the map without being caught. Only issue here is the 69 beakers a turn at 10% science. I think with some work that science will improve. Still you are holding par with the AI and you have a good 10 uu in Babylon.

I think king Morgan was unlucky to be attacked. This however did make this a less preferable save.

I considered RJM save but he is struggling on the military side without machinery. Crossbowmen/LB/ phants and macemen will chew up your border cities in no time if you are attacked. Most of the Ai seemed to have CS and Machinery. Doh.

My save was crippled by the alexander stack. Unlucky also for Yaqob to vassel Hammy too. Sometimes things just dont go for you. Thats the advantage of dow before feudalism. I dont expect to get any votes this time.

I thought my continuation of my save went better although Alexander had a huge military force.

Do you need to contribute through the entire series to submit an entry?

Okay I think there are 3 obvious choices.

I considered RJM save but he is struggling on the military side without machinery. Crossbowmen/LB/ phants and macemen will chew up your border cities in no time if you are attacked. Most of the Ai seemed to have CS and Machinery. Doh.

Not keeping an adequate army is one of my faults (at all levels). However, there is a good chance that I can trade for machinery next turn after I discover philosophy.

RJM

My votes are:

1. ChromiumL (probably slightly inferior save to Soirana's, but good research rate. Ham will capitulate and I'd enjoy learning how best to exploit a vassal.)

2. Soirana (best alround save IMO and I'd expect to be able to win from this position)

3. RRRaskolnikov (strong position with a good research rate)

RJM

Not keeping an adequate army is one of my faults (at all levels). However, there is a good chance that I can trade for machinery next turn after I discover philosophy.

RJM

Yeah i saw that. You would still need to upgrade/build the units too. The Ai goes upgrade crazy when they get a new unit. I have seen stacks of caravels turn into frigates within a turn.

Its also interesting how many people still had the espionage on Salladin in reserve. I certainly never used it. Too far for my spy to travel.

Its also interesting how many people still had the espionage on Salladin in reserve. I certainly never used it. Too far for my spy to travel.

I'm ignorant about the espionage system - I tend to turn it off in my games these days. Where did all those points come from?

RJM

I'm ignorant about the espionage system - I tend to turn it off in my games these days. Where did all those points come from?

RJM

Chrom dropped a great spy in Salladins cities.

Great spies are great. espionage allows you to create revolts. This knocks out the defence bonus to 0% for a turn. You lose a lot less troops when your kk attacks cities with no 50-60% cultural defence bonus. Also when an Ai city has a castle trebs/catapults only dent the defences 4% each. 4-5 turns later the Ai has created 4-5+ more units.

3000 espionage points also allows you to steal technology. It also reveals city builds and Ai teching. Make no mistake espionage can be very powerful. On Chroms latest save he put his second Gspy to great use planting him on Hammy.

Yep great spies have their use.

@RJM

They came from a great spy that was spawned thanks to points you get when you build Great Wall.

I have found that they are great during wars since you can incite a city revolt fairly easily and that reduces their cultural defense to 0%.

I really don't know what I was thinking when I settled the first great spy so far away... I guess it is just my risk adverse nature kicking in (its hard for a target far away to have a successful military campaign against you if they get pissed about catching spys). Obviously I am still learning how to best use a great spy--but I think my second settlement of a great spy with Hammy went pretty well in my war!

Some interesting articles I have read (and apparently forgotten since some of the tips could have been useful in this round)

About the spread culture mission
which I should have used in Akkad before capturing it.

General espionage strategies

About the effectiveness of an espionage economy (EE) vs manual research

I have played a few games recently trying to run an EE, and it actually seems to work fairly well--especially on higher difficulties where opponents generally have a tech lead. A few early great spys from the great wall can really make a difference (if you aren't stupid like me and settle them all the way across the continent!).

Hi,

my votes:

1 Soirana
2 ChroniumL
3 RJM

The first two have made the difference, the game is not won because it needs to be played but the situation is totally dominant :)
RJM played peacefully, the techs are also less advanced than the two previous saves, but still a favorable situation (to actually win the game). :lol: at the 4 very busy workers...
KingMorgan and Gumbolt are at war, but defending... the situation is tough.
@KM: you can force peace between Darius and Alex (with philo) and unleash Alex on Hammi. Also, you can backfill some stuff with philo (mettallurgy, monarchy, calendar)...
@Gumbolt: hard... Zara and Alex won't talk... and the greek stack will be hard to contain . It would be nice to look if you could have done something (bribe someone) before declaring (or vassalize Hammi in the first place)

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

@Gumbolt: many wonders in my save because there are big culture problems in the gold city :). I didn't feel like attacking was the good move with those LBs and all... but was greatly proved wrong by Soirana and Chronium who made great use of the kelshiks.
My plan would be to attack with trebs/rifles or something/cannons and then go on full war 'till the end :)

Cheers

I wasnt worried about Zara in my save. His chariots and HA were contained by 1-2 spears. It was Alexander that caused my headache.

In terms of his stack he had very few spears. The terrain was favourable to him.

All in all it wasnt a good situation. I do wonder if my stack could of held him off. might have lost babylon.

Top Bottom