End of Empires - N3S III

Orders sent

Comments from North King regarding any obvious problems would be welcome if that is the case, if various persons wish to inform me of certain events that will occur at their hands that would inevitably precipitate an ecclesiastical response, I am happy to make appropriate amendments post hoc to the orders sent (re-submitting them to North King).

I haven't had time to read the orders more than once, but on first look they are excellent. Thanks. :)

My father fought in the long wars, and my grandfather also. My mother died in childbirth; my grandmother in the great plague that swept in from the north and killed half the village when I was only 9 years of age. I still bore the pockmarks where it struck me as well.

From when I was nine, then, it was my great-grandmother who raised me. An old women, and as I grew older, the eldest in the village, but a strong one, and one who never grew ill. My father never returned from the war, though he survived. We learned later, my great-grandmother and I, that he settled with a new family in a northern city, far from our quiet fishing village. He had another wife. But he never sent for me. My grandfather did die at war, though not in battle; struck down as so many others on all sides were in the plague that followed the war.

My great-grandmother taught me fishing, and the building of my own boat. So had my family plied the coast for generations, bearing always the harsh mistress of the Airendhe. In my great-grandfather’s day, she said, the sea was far more dangerous. The Emperor, for all his faults, had made the waves safe. Safe was not a word I would associate with the sea, but wild and untamed. Yet truth I saw in the notion that they could be tamed, too, for many of my generation were fishermen and sailors again, a profession for which much expertise had been lost in the long wars and their aftermath.

When the time came, and the great merchant fleet, ever-swelling, came looking for sailors. My great-grandmother had passed the year before, at the ripe age of about one hundred and ten, or so she said. No one I ever met had ever heard of a person who lived to such an age, but my great-grandmother had. With her death, I had no ties in our town, and the merchants were a clear choice.

In those days, the merchant boom was just beginning. The war was long over, nearly two decades past. Life had gone on much as it always did for a long time, but eventually we saw traders even in our small town, selling wares from the most exotic locales of which even the wisest in the village had never heard. Once onboard a ship, I learned that I what I first considered exotic were often ports still within the Empire. Truly exotic products were not for sale to humble fishermen, or at prices they might consider.

Yet it was clear that something had shifted in the wind and the water. Where war had once been a way of life for two generations, now it was the sea. Once more for some, those whose blood ran with that of the Haina especially, or the roughest of sailors, all of whom seemed to have grown up in the muddy streets of Mara or the roughest slums of Saigh. We sailed all about the Airendhe, and even beyond, and every voyage many men would say it was the farthest they had ever sailed. Perhaps the world had truly changed, or at least our world had.

---

Orders should be forthcoming tomorrow.

Revised Rihnit Dictionary

Buildings
Spoiler :
Animal Shed: Adurr
Barracks: Evrinati
Blacksmith: Agaver
Building: Kandinu
Butchery: Amarkotavu
City: Yah
Cistern: Haladruba
Dock: Ihihmar
Farm: Lakadhi
Fish Farm: Onjika Lakadhi
Fortress: Qavad
Granary: Vianba
Graveyard: Avovuvuanati
Grove: Satras Yair
House: Nati
Library: Kalnnati
Lighthouse: Gurrnajakaba
Marketplace: Akalalia
Palace: Okoda
Road: Maihlav
Stable: Arkunati
Shrine: Ropongira
Temple: Noagira
Theater: Kukui
Town: Itikavira
Walls (City): Handra Yah
Watch Tower: Jakaba

Family
Spoiler :
Aunt: Garkga
Aunt (Paternal): Garjai o Tagna
Aunt (Maternal): Grajai o Ngata
Brother: Grajai
Cousin: Nakiu
Cousin (Female/Paternal): Garngana o Grakga
Cousin (Female/Maternal): Garngana o Garkga
Cousin (Male/Paternal): Grangana o Grakga
Cousin (Male/Maternal): Grangana o Garkga
Daughter: Garngana
Father: Tagna
Grandson: Unihah
Grandson (Paternal): Grangana o Grangana
Grandson (Maternal): Grangana o Garngana
Grand Daughter: Hahinu
Grand Daughter (Paternal): Garngana o Grangana
Grand Daughter (Maternal): Garngana o Garngana
Grandfather: Lokda
Grandfather (Paternal): Tagna o Tagna
Grandfather (Maternal): Tagna o Ngata
Grandmother: Kolda
Grandmother (Paternal): Ngata o Tagna
Grandmother (Maternal): Ngata o Ngata
Mother: Ngata
Sister: Garjai
Son: Grangana
Uncle: Grakga
Uncle (Paternal): Garjai O Tagna
Uncle (Maternal): Grajai O Ngata

Flora and Fauna
Spoiler :
Apple: Nakot
Antelope: Nao
Bamboo: Kammak
Banana: Odo
Barrel Cacti: Avoakmai Giandron
Bobab: Donsa
Bean: Lukan
Bee: Vussee
Beetle: Tikat
Boar: Aursus
Bull Frog: Ovaribbatt
Bush: Kikar
Butterfly: Aiga
Cacti: Giandron
Catfish: Sralo Onjika
Camel: Qindi
Cow: Itogonla
Chicken: Santanga
Clam: Lik
Coconut: Onluko
Cotton: Sah
Crab: Yuta
Crayfish: Ntaha
Crocodile: Maranga
Domestic Cat: Dingralo
Domestic Dog: Maha
Dolphin: Iuo
Donkey: Jeaha
Dragonfly: Vmi
Duck: Jasan
Eel: Ikahat
Falcon: Bringla
Fish: Onjika
Frankincense: Kas
Frog: Ribbatt
Gazelle: Akuan
Goose: Urrunh
Grass: Sat
Hemp: Varka
Hippo: Uhrhuruh
Horse: Arku
Hyacinth: Kaho
Hyena: Ahhahaha
Kangaroo: Ujaua
Lion: Kajaba Dingralo
Locust: Kango
Lotus: Okotan
Lilly Pad: Gahnta
Mango: Ohkana
Octopus: Hoauu
Orange: Litarr
Papyrus: Oaen
Pepper: Kisda
Potato: Yaya
Pig: Amraba
Prickly Pair Cacti: Akaba Giandron
Rabbit: Joyau
Saguaro Cacti: Satras Giadron
Salamander: Iija
Scavenger: Strinhadi
Seaweed: Sangromdi
Shark: Suar
Sheep: Kironka
Spider: Garatjjan
Snake: Sisissa
Sorghum: Shrianroo
Taro: Vuyna
Toad: Avonakbvu Ribbatt
Tree: Latar
Vermin: Orhandru
Watermelon: Nanaroo
Weather Loach: Ijakai Onjika
Whale: Arsva
Wheat: Kuuka
Yam: Latas

Geography and Geology
Spoiler :
Bay: Vaslu
Canyon: Ova Hingda Avosatras
Cliff: Cringidi
Desert: Demroa
Forest: Veodar
Hill: Aoa
Island: Banyatu
Land: Saon
Lake: Atani
Marsh: Veodar gy Satras
Mesa: Kaita
Mountain: Ovaaoa
Oasis: Banyatu Satras
Ocean: Ova Atani
Plains: Olia
River: Hingida
Savannah: So'baha
Shore: Saanahi
Valley: Avoaoa
Volcano: Ab'o

Military
Spoiler :
Ambush: Anrrug Morda
Archer: Ajairannu
Armor: Irrika
Arrow: Citav
Attack: Morda
Axe: Jatko
Axeman: Jatkoannu
Balista: Karoto
Boat: Bata
Bow: Ajai
Catapult: Dlanak
Chainmail: Voyarta Irrika
Chariot: Otosa
Commander: Arvald
Crossbow: Ivas
Crossbowman: Ivasrannu
Curriass: Okodomo Irrika
Dagger: Qan
Defend: Ovamorda
Encircle: Sadaha
Encampment: Modao Yah
Fire Arrow: Kitrr Citav
Flank: Isavagah
Forces: Motivk
Gauntlet: Nbabo Irrika
Halbard: Vagr Jatko
Helmet: Ovoso Vatas
Horse Archer: Arku Ajairannu
Horseman: Arkurannu
Javlin: Geirka
Longbow: Ova Ajai
Militia: Vatasannu
Military: Evri
Plate Armor: Avave Irrika
Palisade: Modao Yah Avomorda
Pillage: Voika
Reinforcement: Cabarama
Retreat: Yivajad
Shield: Banoa
Ship: Tamarai
Shortbow: Avoova Ajai
Siege: Sohga
Sling: Odas
Skirmish: Boanak
Skirmisher: Boanakannu
Spear: Vagr
Spearman: Vagrrannu
Soldier: Rannu
Sword: Sve
Swordsman: Sverannu
Tent: Modao
War Wagon: Avave Irrika Otosa

Natural Events
Spoiler :
Cloud: Avokojantar
Day: Gurrna
Drought: Avomatjja Issa
Earthquake: Kovum Avovuvua Saon
Flood: Matjja Issa
Gale: Vishuuissa
Heat Wave: Kovum Kojantar
Landslide: Saon Matjja Issa
Lighting: Odao
Limnic Eruption: Yakoba Ravuba
Night: Anrrug
Rain: Matjja
Sandstorm: Ringuissa
Snow: Chuva
Storm: Issa
Sun: Kojantar
Tornado: Vishuu Kuda
Thunderstorm: Kiisshurdushu
Tsunami: Ova Agr
Volcanic Erruption: Ab'o Kovum Issa
Wave: Agr
Weather: Ijaki
Wind: Vishuu

Zalkephis was dead.

"Erdha! The baggage train comes under assault! We must repel!" He gestured with the point of a lance backwards to where a knot of Karganai swordsmen had outflanked them.

The kephaliha threw his blood-stained hair out of his face. "Until the wind leaves my chest, Oracle, I will not leave y-hrktggh..."

The man's fingers clutched at his throat where a grey-shafted arrow was buried in it. Soon he toppled from the saddle, his hands still wrapped around the arrowshaft, where they would remain wrapped in death. Like that, a man he had known two decades, gone.

The battle was lost. It had never been meant to be won.

He grabbed the warhorn from his saddle where it was tied, and blew four quick blasts. Draa draa draa draaaa. From all around the melee, men gathered, rallying and pulling back from their scattered engagements, knowing the signal. A cluster of perhaps three hundred men were soon there, the front rank firing bows to distract the enemy. Was this truly all that were left? He looked to the horizon, and saw the silhouette of running men against the red background of the setting sun.

Oh.

The Faronun seemed to know what was coming as well. They drew back as well, forming ranks, a line of spears and a line of shortswords behind. Scattered cries of "Hoyapalai" chased the retreating Satar as they gathered. Sweat-soaked bodies and blood-stained masks soon stared up at him on the horse, a sea of them. Even a few blasphemous faces whose owners had had their masks knocked free. Their faces looked so different. So beautiful in their difference.

"Today, our blood will glorify the Giver of Wind, the Bringer of Thunder," said Zalkephis. "To die, is to live." He had to tell them something.

One of the men echoed him in a thick northern accent. "To die, is to live." Then another in the harsh staccato of the Accan-born. Soon the others picked up the chant. Theirs were hoarse voices, run ragged from hours of battle cries and screams of pain and terror.

"Vexas-ven-atanas! Vexas-ven-atanas! Vexas-ven-atanas! VEXAS-VEN-ATANAS!"

The enemy began their chant again. Their absurd hoyapalai. The world was absurd. Empty words for empty deaths.

It was no glorious Satar cavalry charge of legend. Their horses were all dead or run off, except for the one of the Oracle. They slogged through the muddy ground chanting their words, and threw themselves on the wall of spears, hacking and screaming as their flesh was pierced from a dozen angles.

The end came easily. He fell from his horse in the midst of a sea of spears. A boy with green eyes stabbed him through the heart, and he died.

This had all been a game on a map for him, until now. Until now.

Zalkephis was dead.

His eyes opened in darkness.

His eyes opened, and shut. He was lying on stone that felt cool against his cheek. He pushed himself up from the ground, sitting crosslegged like a child, head hanging down. He looked down at his heart. There was no wound.

Slowly, lugubriously, he looked around. Motes of dust floated obscurely through the air.

He lay upon a mosaic. It covered the floor where he lay, and all around him. Vast columns like a forest of great trees surrounded him, and continued into the darkness. Up these as well the mosaic traveled, to a vaulted, shadowed dome somewhere miles above. His mind could not comprehend it. He knew, somehow, that each tile was the life of a soul. The picture, he saw, stretched on for miles. It was a battle. A battle greater than any that had ever been fought. And also every battle that had ever been fought.

He stood up, looking around. There was no exit. The domed hall went on forever in every direction. But the hall had a center. There was a hole in the ceiling, somewhere above, through which fell a column of red moonlight.

And there, upon the necessary circle of grass in the center of the hall, stood the man wearing a mask of reeds.

The Oracle's face twisted, first in incomprehension, and then awe, and then finally, hatred. His breath shuddered out of his lungs like a stutter. He walked forward, slowly at first, like a child learning to walk. They were both naked but for their masks but somehow it did not matter. He pointed a finger at the man as he jerkily walked, his steps echoing in the dark immensity, the only sound that had ever existed in this place.

"YOU," he snarled at the man, "are not REAL!" He gnashed his teeth at the man, a shriek of bestial, wordless rage coming from his mouth. "All of the prayers, the...drugs, the sacrifice, and you showed me nothing! You...gave me...nothing! Why? WHY?"

He crouched down at his feet, his arms around his head, grasping his hair just to have something to grasp. "Why...why...."

"I do not consume like the Flame."

And as he pronounced the word 'flame', the mask of reeds burned away, leaving only the Face of Taleldil. Zalkephis found he could not turn away.

The Face gazed upon him.

And he understood the rules that bound gods and the universe. He understood the prophecies and the portents. He understood the past and the future. He felt the sorrow and the wisdom of the god, and it consumed him. It. Consumed. Him.

A century later, when his sanity returned, he looked again at Taleldil.

He had two great wounds on either side of his torso, from which bled silver blood.

And as Zalkephis watched, a third wound appeared, the flesh seeming to split under the skin of the figure's mighty arm. And down it trickled the same silver blood, blood that seemed to *feel* like an unanswered prayer with each fallen drop. And Zalkephis, the High Oracle who had followed his father to power, who had never truly believed, wept.

"Zalkephis."

"My God."

"The Enemy has grown."

"We have tried to protect you."

"It was I that tried to protect you. But I cannot end the War. To die in Heaven is to be reborn in Earth. There is no escape."

"All people are locked in endless torment," whispered Zalkephis.

"The War in Heaven is hell unceasing. I am trapped in hell."

"What must I do?"

"Free me from hell."

Taleldil opened his divine fist, and wind from every corner of the endless chamber gathered itself into his hand, forming a blade that could only be seen as a ripple. In a fluid motion that eclipsed the beauty and grace of the most practiced Aspect Master by a thousandfold, Taleldil stabbed Zalkephis through the heart with the sword of wind, the wound mirroring with exact precision that which the blade that had killed him had made.

As his vision blurred and faded, he saw the mosaic break apart and come to life. Enemies came at his god from every direction.

But darkness.

---

In a valley wreathed in mist and dominated by the unmelting glacier, a woman in the final throes of childbirth screamed. The wise-woman attending her cast the bones to determine the child's fate. As she threw the bones, a wind blew in from the open window, scattering and reforming the pattern. The child's head crowned, and the woman let out a shriek of utmost anguish as blood and bodily fluids trickled down her bare legs, crying for relief in the midst of unbearable pain.

But the oracle, such as she was, merely bowed before the writhing woman and her attendants, and uttered a prayer of supplication to what had just come into the world.

The End of the Unbowed

In wrath and malice born of frustrated fury, turning completely in will and purpose from the plan of the One, the first treachery and homicide came to pass, as Istria walked in spirit amongst the first nation, the first family, saying unto them "With each step you take marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting." Thus it was that Istria corrupted their souls of light with the taint darkness and sin with the iniquitous design that they and all their descendants might be consigned to oblivion never to return to their origin in the divine and living light.

~ The Abharavastra

"The impure cannot exist in the presence of the most pure, corruption cast before the living god is burned away as reeds cast into the flame. Only in being refined as ore in the smiths fire is refined to bring forth gold, with all impurity burned away, can a soul face the god who dwells in Iralliam and live."

~ Sayings of the Prophet

Orders may be in an hour or so just after the deadline

In which I am a useless, procrastinating arsehammock

My orders will make it by the deadline. I'm mostly sorry because I promised NK them Wednesday. But Wednesday's orders time was spent making an alphabet and yesterday was spent licking wounds with my girlfriend who I accidentally stood off, in part because I was very concerned with doing stuff for N3S. I have to grow up and be able to manage both things without hurting people lol

My orders will make it by the deadline. I'm mostly sorry because I promised NK them Wednesday. But Wednesday's orders time was spent making an alphabet and yesterday was spent licking wounds with my girlfriend who I accidentally stood off, in part because I was very concerned with doing stuff for N3S. I have to grow up and be able to manage both things without hurting people lol

Adulthood, lol.

n3s can strain relationships. ref# Masada/Thlayli; Thlayli/Iggy; Thlayli/Thlayli.

Excerpts From The Prime Treatise, Caracenis-ta-Atracta, High Confessor of the Sephashim

Humanity, from the ancient times of the God-slayer [1] to the days of the Silver Prince, Avetas the Wise, and Talephas the Great, and even unto these lesser days, has been engaged in a process of discovery. That which can become known from observation has been chronicled, and the chronicles chronicled, until the accumulation of knowledge has allowed us to claim to be wise men. Yet, the presence of knowledge does not equate to an understanding of how to know.

As it can be seen that many of the chronicles are false, or containing legends, while others contain information that is seen to be sound, we approach the unevenness of past knowledge as a sailor approaches an uncertain and storm-wracked sea. But as augurs and oracles claim to predict and control the pattern of the storms, and Disciplinarians to understand the causes of the storms and their appointed times, we learn of their behavior, such that storms are fiercer during the winter, or that a red sun at dawn is a warning of the storm's approach.

It can be seen that although the rules of Kepha [2], such as the timing of the storms, the composition of metals in the earth, and the distribution of fruits upon the trees, do not adhere to a pattern in the whole that is not arbitrary, what remains is that there are rules, even these rules do not make sense or were made by no-one. Trees grow where there is water, and not fire, though one could just as easily conceive of a land where trees grow where there is fire, and not water. The wisdom of knowledge is that Creation, such as it is, adheres to no pattern, or system of rules that might make it all intelligible to us as a whole, as it was not created by any divine being, as the chaos of the Heavens gave respect to nothing during the Creations.

Yet, as we know men have the ability to create gods by giving them power, and in doing so create wonders and enormities, we may also create, and impose by creating, order upon the rootless chaos of existence in establishing rules of knowing. And by observing these rules through systems of action, they can be categorized and understood, keeping in mind that their causes cannot.

We must be inspired by the Oracles, not count them as foes as so many do, for theirs was the first profession to approach systema. Codification of rules for ritual and belief, and so on, has given them strength, and also confidence in purpose. They do not see the god of man and the Heavens as an incomprehensible collection of indeterminate phenomena, but rather as a Force which benefits us, if channeled and applied in ways which are exatas.

What, then, is proper for knowledge? If we seek benefit from sephas as the Oracles do from Taleldil, we must order our examinations with respect to proper ritual. We must aim to set forth a proper ritual of examination free of falsehood. Observe the proofs set forth for the tri-angle by the Faronai idolaters. They do not declaim why the shape assumes its form or how it has come to be so, for they do not know, nor can they; however, they show that in assuming the shape that it takes, numerical principles apply to its formation which can never be false.

We, in our new knowing, in advancing and perfecting what lesser races have merely observed, must apply this mathematica to all of the other Disciplines. We must seek to establish proof for each claim, and do so by repetition, as do the mathematicians with sums and angles.

Of course, in doing so, we must retain the guarded understanding that the rules, such as they are, have been broken. Latakar once flew in the skies but do so no longer, and ancient bones have been found belonging to no animal. The same wound causes some to live and others to die. What is clear is that though some rules exist, some rules also change. And perhaps it may be that no rule can be proven as absolute, but we must establish frameworks of rules that are seen to be true, and change them as they are found to be false.

In constantly finding new rules of knowing and changing those which are found false, or become false, we humble scholars may evade being called useless by the Princes, and cast out of our halls. But further on this subject, the application of knowledge in a way that is useful to those not seeking it for pleasure, but for worldly use, is a topic we must examine in further detail...

---

[1] A common name for Taleldil, whose many exploits in the Kaphaiavai involved killing the spirits who had set themselves up as false gods requiring worship.
[2] Kepha - The Earth. As opposed to 'keph,' some earth. A term for the whole world growing in popularity in the north as the consciousness of the world as a planet emerges.

Orders sent. If there is anything that needs to be corrected, let me know. I had to send two messages, due to the character limit.

Sorry for the delay, but know that I spent the whole week working on it, and I had the exhausting work of having to translate everything.

Top Bottom