End of Empires - N3S III

I'd like to get into this, particularly as I'm in no proper NESes at the moment, any recommended nations for me to look at?

Glancing around the map... I think Hariha is not taken and is reasonably interesting. Elsewhere, maybe Khoskai (but I'd really rather you didn't ;)), one of the Dulama successor states, the Bryhan Republic. Kamera also has potential despite being very small and isolated--relatively little competition, some room to grow and a strategically important position. The Ayase of Gaci and the Yensai Chiefdom have a lot of important history but could be fun, too.

I'm not sure which Satar states are not claimed yet, but one of them could be interesting, too, if you want to dive right into a delicate situation.

The Shuhar Empire, Anhalter, and Farea have points of interest too. And do Noaunnaha and Naran both have players?

I'm Naran. Noaunnaha had a player, but I don't know if he is active. However, all those Dulama successor states I believe are open also.

I'd like to get into this, particularly as I'm in no proper NESes at the moment, any recommended nations for me to look at?

I'm not sure if Tin Tan Tar or any of the Kingdoms in that part of the world are claimed. If not, than you would do well to go their since you have basically a blank cultural slate to fill in (although with Tin Tan Tar you have Enguntith to work with, and some of the others are machaianist)

-

Anyways, I think I shall switch from the Grandpatriarchate to the Kingdom of Tiagho.

I would note publically that since I have engaged in some diplomacy with the Kothari Exatai to the point of an on principle agreement being agreed between both parties on various matters (during my vacillation on whether or not to change), I have sent the entire dialogue to North King and (should any other person take it up) will pm it to any player who feels inclined to take up the mantle of the Grandpatriarchy besides. No other diplomacy has been undertaken apart from that which has occurred with the Kothari Exatai.

Expressing interest in joining, any particular recommendations, or shall I just look through the lists above?

"What's happening to you, Susi?" he asked me one day. "You're becoming like one of those Satar slaves. Your voice is soft and you're always smiling. You don't walk anymore, you sway back and forth. When you see blood you run and shriek back to camp unless Wa is there and then you sigh and lie your head against his chest. You certainly aren't a soldier anymore. And that's a problem because Wa is and your destroying him bit by bit as you do that. Soon he won't be a soldier and you'll have won and all of us will have lost."

"But can't you understand Pa, that's how I am?" I told him. "And all of those men you call soldiers are insane. I don't want to play their games of politics and blood and killing. I just want peace. Why can't those men just be gentle and peaceful again? Why can't they turn their thoughts to goodness and the Lady?"

"But that's not an advance, it's surrender. It's what our ancestors did and why we're here."

"Call it what you like. I don't care. It's still all right for me. Look at the philosophers and artists of centuries past. They avoided the politics and warfare. They knew what to do to perfect their art because they understood the hatred has no everlasting value. Look at their works? What survives of hatred? But look at all that survives of love! Love is transcendent. But the works of hatred are temporary. All hatreds fade with time. But love, true love doesn't. And that's what I want to be treasured and to treasure in turn; to love and to be loved. Art and beauty. Gentleness and beauty. Everlasting."

"That's just how they thought in the old days, when people still believed that good would hold out. If that's what you want, your a dreamer. Like those who stood in Trovin and watched as the hills burned without taking up arms. I know about art and how it works. I know about beauty and life everlasting but I don't put them on a pedestal to admire them, but to protect them. For me, art must be an instrument to oppose evil and to advance our cause. I'm reminded now of an artist friend of mine. He's dead now, but he spent all of his life in a cell at the monastery over that ridge bemoaning the evils of the world. But he never went out and struck blows for good. He just stayed in his cell and died having achieved nothing. That's not we stand for but rather what we oppose".

Expressing interest in joining, any particular recommendations, or shall I just look through the lists above?

Stats will be... quite a project, but I hope to have them up later this week. I can always make more specific recommendations if I know exactly what kind of power you're looking for. That said, here's a list of the countries in a very rough order of how much I'd like someone to play them; generally the ones further down aren't as important.

Haifaio Hailsia: Lord_Iggy
Aya'se o Caroha: m.t.cicero & Masada
Vellari Exatai: Thlayli
Republic of the Daharai: TheMeanestGuest
Kothari Exatai: spryllino
Tin Tan Tar: ChiefDesigner
Empire of Trahana: Hightower
Republic of Parthe: Terrance
Ashelai Exatai: Shadowbound
Tephran Exatai:
Zalkephai Rashai: Crezth
Vischa Exatai: Golden1Knight
The Halyrate: Perfectionist
Cyve: Luckymoose
Ereithaler: Angst
Shuhar Empire:
Acajuren Republic: Lord of Elves
Tsutongmerang: azale
Khoskai: (I've had some interest from Matt0088)
Bo-tui-van: (I've had some interest from thomas.berubeg)
Noaunnaha: Symphorien (He gets his pick of the Noaunnaha successors though!)
Naran: tuxedohamm
Hariha: (NPC, but pending Symphorien's decision)
Nivarberrie Eshai: (NPC, but pending Symphorien's decision)
Gaarim: ork75
Rihnit: Cannae
Ayase of Gaci:
Yensai Chiefdom:
Grandpatriarchy:
Xidevi Sartashai:
Anhalter:
Beratca:
Bryhan Republic:
Aortai Republic: wrymouth3?
Tarvaen:
Sithira:
Hacha:
Thiago: Jehoshua
Taidhir:
Dula:
Satabo:
Tavasi:
Khalas:
Zar: Everblack

You can also choose anything that doesn't appear on the list at all, but those are small enough that you'll have quite a building project on your hands. Obviously, though, the biggest thing still missing a player is the Tephran Exatai. I think Thlayli would give anyone who wanted to join there a helping hand with the history and culture of the area. Past that, I'm hoping to populate the west (particularly between Tin Tan Tar and the Trahana) with more players. The Shuhar Empire is not far behind.

Anyways, I think I shall switch from the Grandpatriarchate to the Kingdom of Tiagho.

:)

How blank of a slate is Satabo?

Rather blank. I can give you a write-up about the area and climate, and a sketchy history, but the culture is relatively undeveloped. Incidentally, it's supposed to be Saṭabo, but I'm supremely lazy when it comes to copy-pasting diacritics in. :p

It's the Vellari Exatai, not the Vellari Rashai. Oracular redistribution of resources would not go over well with the Accans. :p I also noticed the poor Shield Princes didn't make it onto your list. Gotta feel for those guys.

Yes, I am extremely interested in securing a player for the Tephran Exatai. Please PM or visitor message me if you're interested in knowing more. Overall, they're extremely traditionalist Vedai Satar, though ethnically mostly Vithana and Xieni, that identity has pretty much been subsumed by the Vedai identity among the upper classes. They have a very strong alliance with the Vischa Exatai, so prospective players could most likely count on a friend in Golden1Knight.

They follow orthodox (Vedai) Ardavan, and are distributed into a variety of semi-autonomous princedoms that usually owe fealty to the High Prince of the Wind. (The Satar word for wind, teph, is what gives this Exatai its colloquial name.) How much support they offer is generally dependent on how much exatas the High Prince has; if he is acclaimed Redeemer (which he is currently not,) this vastly enhances his local prestige. They are fond of raiding and trading, and while mostly a rural people ruling over vast tracts of land, they have several ancient and impressive fortress cities under their control, most notably Arastephaion in the far south, and Mareva, their capital.

Their main enemies are the Zalkephai Rashai (played by Crezth), the NPC Exalai Sartashai, and the Vellari, though the latter is not due to conflicts over territory but more ideological, cultural and historical differences. Relations are likely good with Tin Tan Tar and the High Oracles of Siaxis, as well as at least passably good with the Ashelai.

---

One important thing I would like all of the Satar players to consider is that the Redeemer title still exists but for only one man in the world at a time, and that the Shield Prince of Alusille is still technically the de jure liege of the Ashelai, Vellari, Tephrans, and etc. until he dies, and the High Oracle chooses a new Redeemer. [This system was established in a now 250 year old treaty called the Matshav.] Effectively this means nothing, as the ceremonial "tribute" the High Princes send the Redeemer is just that, a ceremonial gift, though an effective High Prince could in theory gain support from abroad by controlling the Redeemer title if others stood to gain from it.

One reason the aged Shield Prince (Exalai Sartas) holds the title is for successfully defending his lands against the hated Zalkephai where the Tephrans failed and lost control of Sartasion, again. Also, the Princedom of the Shield is ancient, prosperous and extremely prestigious, despite its small size. Historically over the ET the Redeemer title has mostly bounced between the Tephrans and the Shield Princes, mostly because the Vellari are usually interested in doing Other Things™ with their money and the Ashelai haven't made much of an impression yet.

Obviously you have no obligation to support whoever the Redeemer happens to be, though it might be seen as extremely dishonorable to refuse a Redeemer's call to war against an enemy who does not follow the God-In-Potentiality. Of course, patronizing Siaxis and the High Oracle could be a valuable use of your time and money if you're interested in your dynasty getting the title when the previous owner dies, though plenty of great High Princes have got along fine without being acclaimed Redeemer.

Declaring yourself Redeemer without Siaxis' approval is not done. You could do it, but it would have potentially grave consequences for religious and foreign relations with other Satar, so people tend to stick to High Prince and try to convince Siaxis to acclaim them Redeemer, rather than run the risk of defying the High Oracle and having him or her call all the other Satar to oppose the wayward heretic.

Golden, I'm actually not sure how the Vischa fit into this equation, if they still declare their ruler Redeemer or have fallen in line with the High Prince/Redeemer dichotomy that evolved over the ET. It's largely up to you, though I suspect the Tephrans would have enforced the eastern rule when they put the current dynasty on the throne.

From: Alxas-ta-Vantyris, High Prince of the Scroll, Protector of the Avinai and the Accanai
To: The Council of the Order of Sador
CC: The High Ward of Sirasona

For decades, barring the occasional skirmish, have we maintained a watchful peace over the Kern since my father's engagements. It is my will that that peace continue, though I will not deign to mention it to the Aitahists, lest they think us weak. The Long Alliance has kept the Kern safe, and never has my ambassador been absent from the court in Sirasona, lest dark days come upon us again, raiders from the north or the south to be repelled.

I have taken an interest in our theological differences, and though there are many threads in the Maninist tapestry, the beliefs of the Sadorai in particular seem almost indistinguishable from our own faith. We both look to Talledi as a prime exemplar, and though our eschatology may differ in the particulars, what unites us is our firm belief in the self-creation of divine destiny through exatas. Or so I am led to believe.

But I digress.

I wish to grant the Sadorai half of the island of Aldina, where they might build one of their vaunted fortresses. I have my own, of course, but it would do well to give the Aitahists pause through doubling our defensive strength.

I will not require any tribute from the Sadorai for this gift, though I would appreciate any doors your Order might open with regard to settling the dormant issue of the Accan quarters of the Gallatene coastal cities, and their subjection to Vellari taxation and law. My hope is that we may come to an amicable resolution and, if this initial experiment succeeds, to further extend a mutually beneficial partnership that shall reward both sides of the sea.

They have a very strong alliance with the Vischa Exatai, so prospective players could most likely count on a friend in Golden1Knight.

Golden, I'm actually not sure how the Vischa fit into this equation, if they still declare their ruler Redeemer or have fallen in line with the High Prince/Redeemer dichotomy that evolved over the ET. It's largely up to you, though I suspect the Tephrans would have enforced the eastern rule when they put the current dynasty on the throne.

The current reigning dynasty is certainly very grateful for the intervention of Tephran during the Turbulent Times.

The last Vischan Redeemer fell during the civil war, being replaced by an imperial dynasty with hereditary succession. Also, I changed the name of the Vischa Exatai to Vischa Empire, but for some reason it did not happen.

Interested in claiming the Shuhar Empire. Anything I should know?

Pretty much just what's in the update.

Well then Saṭabo it is, if you'll have me.

Of course. :)

It's the Vellari Exatai, not the Vellari Rashai. Oracular redistribution of resources would not go over well with the Accans. :p I also noticed the poor Shield Princes didn't make it onto your list. Gotta feel for those guys.

I am not infallible.

The current reigning dynasty is certainly very grateful for the intervention of Tephran during the Turbulent Times.

The last Vischan Redeemer fell during the civil war, being replaced by an imperial dynasty with hereditary succession. Also, I changed the name of the Vischa Exatai to Vischa Empire, but for some reason it did not happen.

I didn't think it was very in character for the Telhans to get bailed out by the Tephrai and then just go off and declare an independent Empire. It seemed more likely that they would decide to go along with the umbrella of Exatais. But it's your choice; I can change it.

What do you think the best Leunan successor state is for me to play?

Bryhan Republic, hands down.

Well, currently the only difference is the symbolism that the name brings. To make things easier, let's say that in Vischa Exatai reigns the High Prince, whose office is hereditary. Thus, Vischa remains similar to the other Exatais the region, and maybe in the future their leaders shall also claim the position of Redeemer. The only difference is that the Vischan High Prince acts as a monarch.

Top Bottom