England map

mbbcam

King
I've played this map no end of times and always get bogged down at a certain point. But I think a decent player could do very well with it. You may need the mod Really Advanced Setup installed to be able to load it. It is a Pangaea. Plenty of workers available early if you go east :)

Attachments

• Eliza_p.Civ5Save
    510 KB · Views: 101
  • Eliza-p.png
    Eliza-p.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 236
I've played this map no end of times and always get bogged down at a certain point. But I think a decent player could do very well with it. You may need the mod Really Advanced Setup installed to be able to load it. It is a Pangaea. Plenty of workers available early if you go east :)

If you like, you could make this part of the EDGE-series.

Feel free to incorporate it if you feel it fits in with your vision. I'd be very happy. I didn't want to take any liberties in your "domain"! I wouldn't want a reckless expansion penalty :)
Cool! I will present it as EDGE#103.

Cool! I will present it as EDGE#103.
I was going to say make sure you can load it first, because I can't remember what Mods I might have had active at the time I rolled it, but I see I am a bit late. If there are problems I might have to doctor the save file to remove any reference to mods. I've done that before -- it will just be a case of remembering what I did.

Incidentally, there is an interesting mix of maritime powers and landlubbers on the map. Some of whom can be quite competitive.

I was going to say make sure you can load it first, because I can't remember what Mods I might have had active at the time I rolled it, but I see I am a bit late. If there are problems I might have to doctor the save file to remove any reference to mods. I've done that before -- it will just be a case of remembering what I did.

Incidentally, there is an interesting mix of maritime powers and landlubbers on the map. Some of whom can be quite competitive.

It is also modded with Acken´s minimalistic balance mod.

I only ever used that for the map script, never for the game play (I removed the other folders). I'll see if I can remove the reference to the mod. I only played it as a standard game.

Sorry, the methods I've used in the past to remove references to mods from the save file don't seem to work in this case. If you want to play the game, you can get round the problem by downloading Acken's mod, and removing all the folders except the folder called "Miscelenaous" (sic). That allows you to use the map script without using any of the other features of the mod.

Sorry for the faff.

I'm going to try this one; I love England and Acken's mod talks about making wide play more viable, so I'm all in for that, its one of my biggest complaints about Civ 5. The AI improvements may doom me though but i'll be fun while it lasts.

Edit. I'm getting a Run time error when loading. I'm guessing its because I'm trying to play with the full mod and not just the map part.

Last edited:
That's a shame. I had a go at doctoring the save file with a text editor, but the methods I'd used in the past didn't work this time.

I found this quite a tricky map -- some pretty even competition between the other civs. It would be interesting to know what a better player could make of it.

I tried deleting all the folders except the Miscelenaous folder where the Maps folder is located. and I still get a runtime error. Do I need to delete any files directly in the 'Ackens Minimalistic Balance (v8)' folder?

Sorry, what I wrote was probably not accurate enough. In my case I have only the .modinfo file, the documentation files, and the Miscelenaous folder inside the Ackens Minimalistic Balance (v8) folder. I hope you can get it to work.

Good to hear that. I hope you find it interesting. I played it several times, and I think I got furthest when I played Honor-Commerce, but I stopped when the opposition got to Flight in good time, and I could foresee all my units being killed by aircraft. I probably should have plodded on.

I'm at an impasse, and its only T44! So I stopped, thought about it for awhile and still can't decide what to do. So I want to see what others would do in this situation. I was excited to see all the nice land around my starting position. I can see spots for 7 or so cities. But... both my nearest neighbors settled towards me; one of them ruining the prime spot where I was going to found my second city. I'm England so of course I'm going to kick them out of there, but I can't do it yet. So I'm trying to figure out where to build my second city.
Spoiler :
I'm debating on settling up by the mountain range to the NE. I can't decide whether to settle on the Cows or the hill NW of the Dye, there's really no ideal spot. If I settle on the Cows, its on Cows which isn't great, and its in a valley. Settle on the hill and I'm very close to Addis Ababa and miss the Silver N of the mountain range. Being close to Halle's capital might not be such a bad thing though, it'll help for when I attack with my LB, but that means someone else will get that other Silver.

I then thought maybe I'll just found my city down south in a non-ideal spot on the Wheat tile next to the Oysters and Whales. Its right next to the tile I would have settled on if Halle wouldn't blocked me. But I might rather just kill that offending city and take the ideal spot, but that will need to wait awhile.

I almost want to go back and try to beat Ethiopia to that spot. But he got there so early I'm not sure I can do it.
Spoiler T44 Screenshot :
T44 dilema n.jpg
T44 dilema s.jpg

Last edited:
@Tiberiu Why don't you try playing it? I'd be interested to see what you make of it.

@raider980 Difficult to know what to recommend. I usually try to settle three cities by T50, if I can. That means building Settlers quite early. The problem with having juicy spots to settle is that they are attractive to others, as well. The AI is quite likely to kick out a Settler around T30-T35, I find. If you go back and start again, you should have no problem in settling where you want to the south !west! (sorry, I meant east!) -- I certainly found it easy in most of my attempts. See spoiler:
Spoiler :
In the attempts I made, I kept the north-eastern neighbour at war for some time. I stole around three or four workers during that period (by camping my Warrior just near the tile he wanted to improve), which slowed his growth and discouraged him from expanding south west. The maximum number of cities I settled in any attempt was four: three on the coast and one inland near the salt and marble. Incidentally, in all my attempts I founded London on the hill next to the river, rather than settling in place. I also stole a worker from the city state to the south, which I kept at war, and used as a training camp to get experience for units. I rarely manage to do this well, and I didn't gain a lot from this. The terrain in some places is quite difficult, so even with Longbows I found progress quite slow when it came to war. Beware the northern neighbour. I found it useful to get out a caravan very quickly and send a trade route to him. He gets Unique Units early, and likes to use them. I know the terrain looks inviting for a lot of cities, but the neighbours find it inviting as well, and they are not inclined to stand back and let you take it all. Moreover, the coastal spot where you would like to place your second city has plenty of food, but very little production. I found this problematic throughout my games. In short, the start on this map looks amazing, but the map throws up all sorts of problems as you progress, and I wasn't very good at solving them. Good luck!

Last edited:
I actually took the map to play it but I haven't been able to start it yet since I need to figure out the modding part as I have no experience with them.

I think I would try to get a very tall capital as soon as possible, the hardest part would be getting a religion at the same time, I think. Depends if there are religious CS to ally and whether I find a good natural wonder, otherwise, it would mean completing Liberty and getting a prophet, but that sacrifices the strenght of full Tradition. The only other option would be Hagia Sophia but I am afraid it takes too long if you also go for optics for the lighthouse. It looks like there are many different ways to try to play this map due to good food and production potential in the capital.

@Tiberiu Really Advanced Setup is easy to install (I always play with it, as it gives a bit more control over the start). It should just be a question of getting it via the Mods menu and Steam Workshop. The Acken mod is a bit more of a faff, as you have to install it, then delete most of the files and folders (so that you just play with the map, and not the balance changes). If you have any trouble, let me know.

I agree there are various ways to play the map. I tried Tradition, Liberty (with four cities), and Honor-Commerce (three cities). I usually play Tradition very badly, for some reason (probably because I'm not used to it). I didn't do well with Liberty, either. My best attempt was with Honor, though it was pretty slow going, and when I gave up I was falling behind in Science, and about to get bombed to bits.

I don't usually bother with religion in my games, so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I think it could prove quite difficult on this map.

Do you need Scrambled maps DLC for this map?

I am willing to install mods etc but for that stupid dlc nope not going to buy it...even though its only 5 euros or so

I really like maps where others struggle...so i will also strugle...i am not best player not by any standards(i win deity more than 50% of the time usually bu science or diplo...not really good at domination or culture) but in my opinion Deity should be hard for everybody...not Sunday walk in the park so to say. Deity should be something that even best players only win 10% of the time

Last edited:
Top Bottom