English encroachment-John Adams

buck beach

Prince
Can any body tell me the strategy as to how to counter the English's encroachment into my settlement's territory. Their territory expands like oozing lava cutting my city's area in half.

Playing 1.11 Beta2 Explorer level as the Dutch.

Produce more bells? He's cranking them out big time in my game too. Luckily i got a couple ES early on so am keeping up with him nearly.

Two simple words:

DESTROY THEM!

My usual strategy involves 5-10 veteran dragoons applied directly at the source of the annoyance.

I concur with Dale. Any competing colonial that is next to my colonies is going to get attacked very very early, sometimes as early as turn 21. If I can get a veteran dragoon that early, it's often enough. Otherwise, one veteran dragoon, one soldier (for the defence bonus in a handy wooded hills square) and one canon are all it takes.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Is that to crank out more bells at the points of encroachment or overall (eg principle settlement)?

What are ESs?

ES are Elder Statesman. In this game I have been producing bells from pretty early on, and its the first time in 1.10 I've been able to keep pace with ai in terms of FF (Founding Fathers) I've got, and score. Obviously another effect is the increase in your borders, but i'm fortunate in that no one is particularly near me.

BTW im playing on the Fairweathertweak map with lots of islands and very irregular land formations, which is quite good at separate all the nations up if you want to get some distance/separation from your rivals.

I concur with Dale. Any competing colonial that is next to my colonies is going to get attacked very very early, sometimes as early as turn 21. If I can get a veteran dragoon that early, it's often enough. Otherwise, one veteran dragoon, one soldier (for the defence bonus in a handy wooded hills square) and one canon are all it takes.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Jeez, you guys are such war mongers. All I ask is give peace a chance. I want to speak softly and carry a big stick/musket:D.

Seriously, I followed the Liberty Bell approach on my border settlements with the English colonies, and at least I am not giving up too much. OTOH I am doing the same thing to the French that the Brits are doing to me.

ES are Elder Statesman. In this game I have been producing bells from pretty early on, and its the first time in 1.10 I've been able to keep pace with ai in terms of FF (Founding Fathers) I've got, and score. Obviously another effect is the increase in your borders, but i'm fortunate in that no one is particularly near me.

BTW im playing on the Fairweathertweak map with lots of islands and very irregular land formations, which is quite good at separate all the nations up if you want to get some distance/separation from your rivals.

Thanks for the advice, I may give it a try.

Jeez, you guys are such war mongers. All I ask is give peace a chance. I want to speak softly and carry a big stick/musket:D.

Seriously, I followed the Liberty Bell approach on my border settlements with the English colonies, and at least I am not giving up too much. OTOH I am doing the same thing to the French that the Brits are doing to me.

If a neighbor started tilling a garden or building a shed in your back yard, what are you going to do? My guess is you'd use every bit of force legally available to you to get them to leave.

Since there is no diplomatic option to get them to leave, building a colony close enough to one of my colonies to actually use one or more of my land squares is an act of war and will be answered accordingly.

If you *don't* want to go to war, and I can understand that, in my first Civ2Col games I tried to be the ultimate pacifist, you only have two options:
1) Have colonists work as statesmen, or use elder statesmen if you have them, and pump out more liberty bells than your competitor.
2) Content yourself with a sub-optimal city in that position, and build other cities in other locations that will give you more satisfaction.

There is no diplomatic option allowing you to take over a competing colonial power's cities. There is no "culture flipping" like in Civ4. It's either war or appeasement or build massive numbers of liberty bells.

Personally, I prefer mopping the floor with them. Keeps them from "stealing" the FFs that I consider mine by right. <g>

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

If a neighbor started tilling a garden or building a shed in your back yard, what are you going to do? My guess is you'd use every bit of force legally available to you to get them to leave.

Since there is no diplomatic option to get them to leave, building a colony close enough to one of my colonies to actually use one or more of my land squares is an act of war and will be answered accordingly.

Yea but the dude is twice my size and half my age. :D

Top Bottom