Espionage direction poll (Part 1)

Should spy missions (against a civ) be consisted of one or more "passive missions" and one or more "

• Total voters
Though I understand that espionage can be more of an annoyance rather than an interesting mechanic for most singleplayer players, who just like building up their empire - as someone who plays mostly multiplayer, I hope it will not be downgraded to a low impact side mechanic (send and forget, as some describe it).

For multiplayer, espionage, if implemented well, is both a great catch-up mechanic and a fun way of harrassing your opponents. In fact, some multiplayer games suffer from a lack of interaction other than the occasional war or World Congress vote, and espionage could be a great system to help mitigate that.

I accept that the majority here plays mostly singleplayer and therefore holds the opposite view. That said, I would like to advocate for a middle road for the above explained reasons.

Though I understand that espionage can be more of an annoyance rather than an interesting mechanic for most singleplayer players, who just like building up their empire - as someone who plays mostly multiplayer, I hope it will not be downgraded to a low impact side mechanic (send and forget, as some describe it).

For multiplayer, espionage, if implemented well, is both a great catch-up mechanic and a fun way of harrassing your opponents. In fact, some multiplayer games suffer from a lack of interaction other than the occasional war or World Congress vote, and espionage could be a great system to help mitigate that.

I accept that the majority here plays mostly singleplayer and therefore holds the opposite view. That said, I would like to advocate for a middle road for the above explained reasons.

I mostly play SP lately, but I agree it should impactful -- every MP game I've played has nonetheless had more AI than human so it must also suit the AI, but the more that can be accomplished with spies, in a way that makes sense to civ/VP abstractions, the better

In seriousness, while we have all done our best on the various drafts, they are still drafts. Espionage is a complex topic, and as this discussion shows, we have a lot of diverse opinions. More than anything we need feedback to try and do some polish before we release any of these ideas into the wild.

Two of the draft proposals seek to connect spy travel to the gameworld, albeit in simplistic ways. I can't remember which, but one proposes on the basis of technologies, the other one city infrastructure/connections. These are steps in the right direction, but too little.

To remove the spreadsheet feel of civ 5's espionage, the spies need to actually move in some fashion that reflects the map. We cannot currently support them being units civ 2 style, and this will realistically never be possible in civ 5 short of retrofitting some kind of ChatGPT machine learning AI into the engine -- this is not what I'm thinking, but the distance from home capital, or their present location if deployed, should matter to their movement, especially early on when spies are presumably travelling on foot/by sailboat. Just spitballing here, and this would require some in-depth coding to develop the backend logic (though not unattainable, i'd argue), but consider that at present due to city working radius etc., its highly unlikely that cities will be more than 6 plots apart -- so give spies a 1-turn move radius of 6 (or 7 as failsafe), and when player sends spy to a far-off city, it actually must transit through the other cities to get there.

Eg. London is 30 tiles from Paris, and the land-grab phase is over, (nearly) all possible cities have been founded: english spy has to get to paris from london, finding intermediary cities no more than 7 plots away on each turn => travel time will be 5-6 turns, roughly in realm of status quo, and we have no AI-breaking spy unit, just the current system more or less, but with spy actually changing location in a way that fits the in-game world. After Liz gives orders to go to Paris, english spy ends turn 1 in Leeds, Turn 2 in Birmingham, turn 3 in Avignon, turn 4 in Marseilles, turn 5 in Paris, etc.

A big part of the counter-spy game could then become trying to catch spies in transit, secondary cities become relevant, events in game-world could affect the city-leapfrog "route" they must take, etc. As time goes on, this movement restriction can be relaxed, the city-leapfrog range increased etc. Much of this could still be automated, fire-and-forget type spy instruction unless some intervening event takes place

Anyway, first proposal that attempts to give spy some kind of map-connected movement will likely get my vote.

Last edited:
Wow opinions on espionage are really diverse - we have people who want it to be as simple as it can be, while some people want it to have more different choices so they're interesting... I don't think we can ever appease everyone.
There's the option to play without espionage in game setup. It might be possible and worth the effort to offer "no espionage" as a sort of "passive missions only" mode, so that game elements that require spies to exist will always function, but there's no need to have to deal with the complex version if you don't opt into it.

but the distance from home capital, or their present location if deployed, should matter to their movement
This is how it currently works (use proximity). Spies take too long to travel, which is bad if you want some spy work done ASAP.
so give spies a 1-turn move radius of 6 (or 7 as failsafe), and when player sends spy to a far-off city, it actually must transit through the other cities to get there.
High performance issue here. Adding or removing a city on the map requires re-assessing the path between every city pair, which is not trivial.

I have seen a couple of mentions of the "civ 2 spy mechanic" here, as someone that has no played the other civ entries, can anyone tell me what they do? So far the main thing I can tell about the old system is that spys are actual units in game and has to be moved around. What other other major features are provided, and also how would diplomats be changed in such a setup?

There's the option to play without espionage in game setup. It might be possible and worth the effort to offer "no espionage" as a sort of "passive missions only" mode, so that game elements that require spies to exist will always function, but there's no need to have to deal with the complex version if you don't opt into it.
And here I was thinking of re-adding mission-specific blocks to certain buildings :crazyeye:

This is how it currently works (use proximity). Spies take too long to travel, which is bad if you want some spy work done ASAP.
true, but during these turns there is no gameplay -- they are just gone. Getting them connected to the map, transiting to their targets during these turns, gives counter-play options. Player will be encouraged to keep a spy in vicinity of anticipated spy needs during critical turns
High performance issue here. Adding or removing a city on the map requires re-assessing the path between every city pair, which is not trivial.
agreed, though by the time espionage is online, city additions & removals do not happen frequently. It would certainly be a non-trivial computation regardless

I have seen a couple of mentions of the "civ 2 spy mechanic" here, as someone that has no played the other civ entries, can anyone tell me what they do? So far the main thing I can tell about the old system is that spys are actual units in game and has to be moved around. What other other major features are provided, and also how would diplomats be changed in such a setup?
in civ 2 spies were essentially what we have as civilian units in civ 5, but they could perform missions in almost all contexts, against cities, against units, against other spies -- and their abilities were quite powerful if conditions were right (the premium spy mission being planting a nuke, or bribing entire units & cities to switch to your side, if you had the gold to support it). It was unbalanced, really, but enemy spies were a true threat, not just a nuisance and there was a bit of spy v spy play. There is a "great spy" mod for civ 5 that attempts to recreate these in civ 2 style, though AI does not know what to do with them

Last edited:
Top Bottom