Ethnicity in the Civilizations.xml file

Kahotep

Warlord
I've noticed while peeking in the base game's Civilizations.xml file (Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data/Civilizations.xml) that each civilization has a particular ethnicity associated with it. For example:

<Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_EGYPT" Name="LOC_CIVILIZATION_EGYPT_NAME" Description="LOC_CIVILIZATION_EGYPT_DESCRIPTION" Adjective="LOC_CIVILIZATION_EGYPT_ADJECTIVE" StartingCivilizationLevelType="CIVILIZATION_LEVEL_FULL_CIV" RandomCityNameDepth="10" Ethnicity="ETHNICITY_MEDIT"/>

And:

<Row CivilizationType="CIVILIZATION_ROME" Name="LOC_CIVILIZATION_ROME_NAME" Description="LOC_CIVILIZATION_ROME_DESCRIPTION" Adjective="LOC_CIVILIZATION_ROME_ADJECTIVE" StartingCivilizationLevelType="CIVILIZATION_LEVEL_FULL_CIV" RandomCityNameDepth="10" Ethnicity="ETHNICITY_MEDIT"/>

Other ethnicities I've seen are Asian, African, European, and South American.

My question is, does this "ethnicity" variable actually do anything? I notice that, at default, the Romans and Egyptians are both sorted into the "Mediterranean" ethnicity, yet in the game itself their unit and building styles appear very different. If that is the case, is there any chance of us modifying civilizations' unit or building styles prior to the mod tools coming out?

To my knowledge, we'll have to wait for mod tools to mess around with ethnicities.

Ethnicity changes skin colour, uniform and late game vehicle colours, and city style.
From what i've witnessed:
European - blue
Mediterranean - light blue
Asia - Orange
Russia/Scythia - Dark Green
America - Green
and Africa also seems to use Green.

Top Bottom