Events for 1939 BTS Mod

Or, alternatively, with a bit of python work, you can determine if a player can declare war on another player in the "canDeclareWar" python method. This would be better I think because it could restrict the AI's from declaring war on the wrong people, but allow the human players to make their own decisions. Always War/Peace applies to everyone.

I know that. I was also thinking the use of Locked Alliances might be helpful. And I assume events can override both?

Also, it could be interesting because it could allow the AI to declare war under particular circumstances. Let's say the UK adopts Fascism. Maybe the USA should be able to declare war then? Just saying, I think using the python method to set different conditions would be better than a blanket restriction.

I don't like that example (if only for lack of realism), but both Always War/Peace and Locked Alliances can be refined using python. At any rate, the final decision is up to the modder in question.

Speaking of which: :goodjob: on those event suggestions, Lone Traveller!

I know that. I was also thinking the use of Locked Alliances might be helpful. And I assume events can override both?

I don't like that example (if only for lack of realism), but both Always War/Peace and Locked Alliances can be refined using python. At any rate, the final decision is up to the modder in question.

Neither events or python can override Always War/Peace. If you turn this option on, it's on for good. That's why using the canDeclareWar python function would be better because it could set different conditions for when a player (AI or not) can declare war on a particular other player. The example I gave was just throwing something out there... maybe Spain would be a better example. If Spain is Fascist, the Allies can declare war. If it switches to Democracy, they can't. Same could apply for the Axis but in reverse.

I thought of something else along the lines of who can declare war on who. I saw a lot of bizarre DoW's in the last game I played as Spain including a number of the small, very spread out civilizations declaring war on each other like the West Balkans and Norway. I mean, here are two countries that have absolutely no reason and no means to go to war with each other.

Which got me thinking... some countries should be able to go to war with each other, but only after someone else has gotten involved. For example, Italy has no reason to declare war on Norway on its own. But if Germany declares war on Norway, then Italy has a reason to follow suit.

Also, there needs to be something to keep the wars going between the main powers... in the game I'm playing now, Germany is only at war with Canada.

That's a good point Dom Pedro II, what causes two warring civs to stop fighting? Some civs should capitulate after one city is fallen, others only when down to the last city. How does the AI decide when to throw in the towel?

That's a good point Dom Pedro II, what causes two warring civs to stop fighting? Some civs should capitulate after one city is fallen, others only when down to the last city. How does the AI decide when to throw in the towel?

Well, there's different cases under which the AI is willing to make peace, but two AI players will often make peace when neither has made any progress on conquering the other. This is particularly true if they're far away from each other I find.

The war/peace restrictions could be made so that, rather than preventing peace from being reached under all circumstances, it would require one side or the other to achieve a set of objectives first before they could talk about signing a peace treaty.

One of the problems, however, is that in WWII, it's unlikely that either side would settle for a simple peace treaty. Standard Beyond the Sword already provides us with the mechanics for representing the Germany-France scenario. In this case, the Germans conquer sufficient territory that the existing French government sues for peace and effectively becomes a puppet state or vassal of Germany.

This does not, however, correspond with a lot of the other areas of the war where the Axis powers conquered territory and established puppet governments in the territories they conquered. My Conqueror's Delight modcomp added the ability for players, upon conquering an enemy city, to carve out a new vassal government with all the same civics (if available) as the conqueror in that city. All subsequent cities captured could then be added to that vassal government.

So I would say that neither side would accept peace without a drastic restructuring of the other's government.

Excellent observation JEELEN. The scenario/WBS file can restrict who cannot go to war with each other. Its fairly realistic to see Canada/UK/USA/France/Poland as having mutual "AlwaysPeace" between them.

How to do this? I didn't used this option before. :blush:

It's a shameless plug, I know, but my Mod Helper modcomp expands upon the Events w/ Images to let modders have an unlimited number of random images AND sounds appear for different events. I think the original Events w/ Images only allows one image.

Yeah it works with just one image. I would need definitly try Mod Helper. Tough I'm right now fighting with compilling RevolutionDCM - it didn't compile both on VS 2003 and Code Blocks - so it seems it's very buggy or I'm dummier in programming than i think I am :). I think I'll try this 'makefile'.

Cool ideas for events DonPedro - it's how the game should work - all those restrictions start war when..... and assign peace when certains objectives are finished. But I don't know Python (and English - well it could be a lot better too :) ). So only your help dear modders could bring cool events to this mod.

Cool ideas - i really would like to see them in scenarios. :)

OK thx. I would use this option right now, before more complex historical events will be added in Python

I'm currently working on some python code that should restrict the wardecs and remove all the bizarre little wars that seem to be spreading all over the place on account of Aggressive AI.

Here's the breakdown (remember this only applies to AI players):

USA, Canada, France and Britain can't declare on each other. USA and Canada can't declare on anybody that Britain isn't at war with (unless Britain's been destroyed). Britain can't declare on anybody with the Western Allies religion.

Germany and Italy can't declare war on each other. Spain can't declare on Germany and Italy, but either can declare on Spain.

Italy can only declare war on people Germany is at war with except for West Balkans, East Balkans and Turkey which they can declare war on at any time.

The Soviet Union can declare war on anybody as long as its not at war with Germany at the time. It can declare on Finland at any time.

West Scandinavia, the Low Countries, and Sweden can't declare on anybody, but almost anybody can declare on them.

Finland can only declare on the USSR.

Turkey, West Balkans and East Balkans are free agents and can declare war on anybody except the North American and Scandinavian/Baltic civs because they're just too far away to be relevant.

Some of these choices were for historical accuracy. Others were just to keep the AI from doing something suicidal or completely pointless.

Cool Dom Pedro. You're changes will be part of next update!

"The Soviet Union can declare war on anybody as long as its not at war with Germany at the time. It can declare on Finland at any time."
Poland was at war with Germany at was attacked by Soviet Union

Do you think you could make it with percent of probability (or it'll be to much work)
For example Soviet Union would every turn check the probability of attack. In first place they'll check if war is possible (they have resources, army, etc... - everything that stops AI from starting war with more powerfull enemy or when already loosing war with someone else)
If yes - the next thing would be randomly triggering the war probability:
For:
Poland - 75%:*
Finland - 25% *
Rest countries as you mentioned - not at war with Germany - 2%
Sweden, Spain - 0,5%
So they'll start war more likely with enemy that was more historicly correct.

*What do you think about adding additional restriction that Soviet Union won't trigger the war with Poland and Finland in theire first turn - the first turn they might trigger the war will be October 1939 (since the weeks will be changed to months).

Spain also should be free agent and can declare war on anybody except the North American and Scandinavian/Baltic and of course Italy and Germany civs

Those changes Dom Pedro is coding will be a good thing. My hope is to see the 1933 scenario again, and as of 1933 there was the possibility of Germany and Italy fighting over the Austria/Czechoslovakia question. And of course Italy changes sides in the real events.

I am impressed by all the feedback and care you all are putting in tweaking this mod. The changes will be nice. I do worry it gets too big, but I will certainly download and play the mod as it evolves.

"The Soviet Union can declare war on anybody as long as its not at war with Germany at the time. It can declare on Finland at any time."
Poland was at war with Germany at was attacked by Soviet Union.
No, I mean that the Soviet Union cannot declare on anybody if the Soviet Union is at war with Germany. This is just to prevent the USSR from adding more wars than it can handle. The AI sometimes will do suicidal things like that.

Do you think you could make it with percent of probability (or it'll be to much work)
For example Soviet Union would every turn check the probability of attack. In first place they'll check if war is possible (they have resources, army, etc... - everything that stops AI from starting war with more powerfull enemy or when already loosing war with someone else)
If yes - the next thing would be randomly triggering the war probability:
For:
Poland - 75%:*
Finland - 25% *
Rest countries as you mentioned - not at war with Germany - 2%
Sweden, Spain - 0,5%
So they'll start war more likely with enemy that was more historicly correct.
Well, these changes only determine if the civilization CAN or CANNOT declare war. Not if it WILL or WILL NOT declare war. I would have to write some AI behavior scripts to control if a civilization will actually declare war. That will be the next step...

*What do you think about adding additional restriction that Soviet Union won't trigger the war with Poland and Finland in theire first turn - the first turn they might trigger the war will be October 1939 (since the weeks will be changed to months).
Sounds good, although you do know you have the Soviet Union starting out at war with Poland, right? ;)

Spain also should be free agent and can declare war on anybody except the North American and Scandinavian/Baltic and of course Italy and Germany civs

Yes, Spain is another free agent. I've actually made some additional changes because I do want to leave the possibility open that, if they see the writing on the wall, Spain might declare war on Germany and/or Italy. So I coded it that it can't declare war if the Spanish are running the Axis ideology. If they convert, they will be able to declare war.

Those changes Dom Pedro is coding will be a good thing. My hope is to see the 1933 scenario again, and as of 1933 there was the possibility of Germany and Italy fighting over the Austria/Czechoslovakia question. And of course Italy changes sides in the real events.

I am impressed by all the feedback and care you all are putting in tweaking this mod. The changes will be nice. I do worry it gets too big, but I will certainly download and play the mod as it evolves.

Yeah, I might have to make an SDK change because currently there's no way to read in python the game type. This will probably be important since if you take my modified python file and drop it in the python folder, it will apply not only for the current scenario but for all WWII - 1939 mod games.

So I need to limit these DoW restrictions to the 1939 scenario. I might be able to just do this by checking the game's start year. And certainly, it will be necessary to differentiate between a 1933 scenario and a 1939 scenario.

Also, I noticed that you said RevolutionDCM is going to be included... will we be able to turn off the different parts of DCM? Because, IMO, opportunity fire and stack combat renders the game unplayable.

I see both options (especially stack combat) unplayable too - It'll be by default turned off. But if i remeber well it can be turned on/off by putting checking mark in the Bug mod's options tab.

Awsome work Dom Pedro II with those settings! The settings of course might be different for different scenario (for example in World scenario the Soviet Union will DoW Japan, when it is still at war with Germany)- so they should be limited to scenarios. And Python is easy to change / add (no recompilling) so I think that even noob like me could expand it to other scenarios if needed.

Could you make not starting date as a Python events trigger. There will be two scenarios starting in 1933 - one in Europe made by wotan and one on world map made by JungleIII. Do you think it might be recognized by scenario name, or by adding aditional line in Worldbuilder scenario header (below for example Mod's Path=), specifing the Diplomacy used - SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_DEFAULT, SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_EUROPE_1939,SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_EUROPE_1933. etc.

EDIT

No, I mean that the Soviet Union cannot declare on anybody if the Soviet Union is at war with Germany. This is just to prevent the USSR from adding more wars than it can handle. The AI sometimes will do suicidal things like that.

Cool :)

Well, these changes only determine if the civilization CAN or CANNOT declare war. Not if it WILL or WILL NOT declare war. I would have to write some AI behavior scripts to control if a civilization will actually declare war. That will be the next step...

Awsome :) - Would you make it that in the begining of scenario the player could choose if he want to play without historical events (standard changes - AI civilization CAN or CANNOT declare war) or with historical events (scripts to control if a civilization will actually declare war in the corect place in timeline, but also when certain 'ifs' are fullfilled, plus other historical events, added of course in next steps).

Sounds good, although you do know you have the Soviet Union starting out at war with Poland, right? ;)
Yeah, but they started war 17th September - I just moved in scenarios Soviet offensive armies to the east and they start with war already.

Awsome work Dom Pedro II with those settings! The settings of course might be different for different scenario (for example in World scenario the Soviet Union will DoW Japan, when it is still at war with Germany)- so they should be limited to scenarios. And Python is easy to change / add (no recompilling) so I think that even noob like me could expand it to other scenarios if needed.

Could you make not starting date as a Python events trigger. There will be two scenarios starting in 1933 - one in Europe made by wotan and one on world map made by JungleIII. Do you think it might be recognized by scenario name, or by adding aditional line in Worldbuilder scenario header (below for example Mod's Path=), specifing the Diplomacy used - SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_DEFAULT, SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_EUROPE_1939,SCENARIO_DIPLOMACY_EUROPE_1933. etc.

Personally, I would prefer that it be done based on scenario name, but I'm not sure how to retrieve that information within python (or within the SDK for that matter). There's probably a good way to handle this, but it hasn't occurred to me yet.

Awsome :) - Would you make it that in the begining of scenario the player could choose if he want to play without historical events (standard changes - AI civilization CAN or CANNOT declare war) or with historical events (scripts to control if a civilization will actually declare war in the corect place in timeline, but also when certain 'ifs' are fullfilled, plus other historical events, added of course in next steps).
Yeah, right now, I've also been writing some AI behavior script so that the AI will be more likely to declare war near the real timeline. But it's not exact.

So for example, the Soviet Union might have a 5% chance to declare war on Finland between September 1939 and November 1939. Then it goes to 25% after November. So this way players don't have to have the exact historical events, but the AI will treat their neighbors more or less like they did in reality.

Awsome!!! :)

The non-historical events that can be used after small changes (requirements or short fixes in texts):

Spoiler Events 1-20 :

Code:
Event1
	Forest Fire
	Prereq: Forest in city fat cross
	Obsolete: None
	Active/Weight: 70/100
		Result:
1.you pay 10 gold
2.you pay 4 gold and lose 1 forest
3.you pay nothing, lose one forest and gain 1 angry face (lasts as long as whip anger)

Event4
	Motherload
	Prereq: Goldmine with either road OR railroad in your control AND either WRITING or MONOTHEISM or PRIESTHOOD or IRON_WORKING
	Active/Weight: 90/200
		Result:
1.you get 20 – 40 gold

Event5
	Washed out
	Prereq: road OR railroad in your control
	Active/Weight: 80/100
		Result:
1.you lose one road
2.you pay 20 gold

Event11:
	Famine
	Prereq: None
		Result:
1.Nothing
2.your city loses 50% of food storage AND you gain +1 Attitude with one AI
3.you pay 10 gold AND your city loses 100% of food storage AND you gain +3 Attitude with one AI

Event14:
	Airliner Crash
	Prereq: Share borders with other player AND other player has FLIGHT
	Active/Weight: 70/300
		Result:
1.+1 Attitude with other AI
2.+1000 Espionage points (with the other AI?)
3.+15-35% of research costs for FLIGHT AND -2 Attitude with other AI

Event18:
	Fugitive:
	Prereq: FEUDALISM
		Result:
1.+1 Attitude with AI1, chance for 3
2.+500 Espionage points AI1, chance for 4
3.-1 Attitude with  AI2
4.-1 Attitude with AI1

Event19:
	Pestilence1/Pestilence2
	Prereq: Tile with pasture/plantation
	Active/Weight: [55/100]/[100/100]
		Result:
1.Tile improvement is destroyed
Spoiler Events 21-40 :
Code:
Event21
	Faux Pas
		Result:
1.-1 Attitude with other AI

Event26
	Tornado
	Prereq: Plains tile with improvement under your control AND WRITING or MONOTHEISM or PRIESTHOOD or IRON_WORKING
	Active/Weight: 75/200
		Result:
1.Improvement is destroyed

Event27
	Baby Boom
	Prereq: You signed a Peace Treaty
	Active/Weight: 100/500
		Result:
1.All cities gain 10 food in storage

Event28
	Bard's Tale
	Prereq: MUSIC
		Result:
1.City gains 100 culture points
2.you pay 25 gold AND city gains 450 culture points
3.IF you have RADIO you pay 10*number of cities in gold and all cities gain 250 culture points

Event29
	Looters
	Prereq: at least one angry  in neighboring player's city
		Result:
1.one tile improvement is pillaged
2.you pay 40 gold AND 2 to 4 tile improvements are pillaged
3.you lose 50 Espionage points (with that player) AND 3 to 5 tile improvements are pillaged AND 2 to all buildings in that city are destroyed AND chance of 4
4.-2 Attitude with neighboring AI

Event30
	Brothers in Need
	Prereq: You and other AI have same state religion AND can trade resources AND you have more then 1 of any of the listed resources AND the other AI lacks this resource: COPPER or IRON or HORSE or IVORY or OIL or URANIUM AND other AI is at war AND you are not at war
	Active/Weight: 100/1000
		Result:
1.Nothing
2.you gift Copper
3.you gift Iron
4.you gift Horse
5.you gift Ivory
6.you gift Oil
7.you gift Uranium

Event31:
	Hurricane
	Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is coastal AND population is more than 2
	Active/Weight: 75/100
		Result:
1.one cheap (cost less then 100 hammers) and one expensive building are destroyed
2.city loses 1 population point

Event32
	Cyclone
	Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is coastal
		Result:
1.one cheap (cost less then 100 hammers) and one expensive building are destroyed

Event33
	Tsunami
	Prereq: THEOLOGY or LITERATURE or CODE_OF_LAWS or MACHINERY AND City is coastal
	Active/Weight: 0/0
		Result:
1.if city has less then 6 population it is destroyed
2.else city loses a number of buildings AND loses 5 population

Event34
	Monsoon
	Prereq: WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING AND City is not coastal AND city has jungle nearby
	Active/Weight: 85/100
		Result:

Event35
	Blizzard
	Prereq: tundra tile with improvement and road or rail AND  WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING
		Result:
1.tile improvement and route are destroyed
2.you pay 5 gold

Event36
	Volcano
	Prereq: own a peak tile WRITING or MONOTHEISM or HORSEBACK_RIDING or IRON_WORKING
		Result:
1.cottages, hamlets, villages and towns around the peak are destroyed

Event37
	Dust Bowl
	Prereq: Own 4 farmed plains tiles AND CIVIL_SERVICE
		Result:
1.pay 40 gold lose 1 farm
2.lose 1 farm chance of looping
Spoiler Events 41-60 :
Code:
Event42
	Clunker Coal
	Prereq: own tile with mine AND coal AND road or railroad
	Active/Weight: 90/50
		Result:
1.tile loses 1 production
Event43
	Sour Crude
	Prereq: own tile with oil AND well or offshore platform
	Active/Weight: 90/50
		Result:
1.tile loses 1 production

Event50
	Mining Accident
	Prereq: own mine AND BRONZE_WORKING and THE_WHEEL and MYSTICISM and HUNTING
		Result:
1.pay 20 gold
2.pay 5 gold AND lose the mine
3.lose the mine AND gain +1 angry face (like whipping anger)

Event51
	Breakthrough
	Active/Weight: 80/50
		Result:
1.+10% remaining Tech cost towards current tech

Event52
	Setback
	Active/Weight: 65/30
		Result:
1.you lose 8 percent of research towards a tech

Event54
	Great Depression
	Prereq: at least 1 founded corporation somewhere
	Active/Weight: 40/100
		Result:
1.All players lose 25% of their gold

Event55
	Bermuda Triangle
	Prereq: 1 DESTROYER or BATTLESHIP or MISSILE_CRUISER or STEALTH_DESTROYER or SUBMARINE or ATTACK_SUBMARINE or CARRIER or TRANSPORT on Ocean plot AND FLIGHT
	Active/Weight: 50/100
		Result:
1.Unit is destroyed

Event58
	Rural Farmers
	Prereq: Grocer 
		Result:
1.+1 food for the city's Grocer
[/QUOTE]

The non-historical events - part 2

Spoiler Events 61-80 :
Code:
Event63
	Motor Oil
	Prereq: Oil with Well OR Offshore Platform under your control
		Result:
1.you get 50 gold
2.you pay 50 gold AND gain 15 free unit support

Event64
	Federal Reserve
	Prereq: Free Market Civic AND at least 1000 gold AND CORPORATION
		Result:
1.-10% Inflation
2.pay 200 gold AND -25% Inflation

Event65
	Electric Company
	Prereq: Emancipation Civic AND no angry citizen any city AND ELECTRICITY
		Result:
1.+1 happy face in every city

Event67
	Comet Fragment
	Prereq: Forest Tundra tile with NO road NO railroad NO improvement under your control AND ROCKETRY
		Result:
1.+5% Spaceship production AND +2 Research for every laboratory AND the forest is removed

Event68
	Subway
	Prereq: 1 Public Transport AND minimum 25 population in city
	Active/Weight: 80/400 (* number of Public Transport buildings)
		Result:
1.city's Public Transportation gains +5 commerce

Event70
	Influenza
	Prereq: minimum 10 population in a city AND era modern or future AND NOT MEDICINE
	Active/Weight: 45/400
		Result:
1.pay 100 gold AND city loses 3 population
2.city loses 3 population AND a number of nearby cities lose 2 population

Event74
	Hi Yo Silver
	Prereq: MINING AND Hill with NO forest NO jungle NO road NO railroad AND NO improvement AND 4 or less happy resources AND tile can have silver resource
	Active/Weight: 35/200
		Result:
1.Tile gains silver resource
2.you pay 20 gold AND tile gains silver resource AND mine AND road

Event76
	Independent Films
	Prereq: MASS_MEDIA AND you do NOT control the Hollywood wonder
	Active/Weight: 35/100
		Result:
1.you get 1 Movie bonus

Event78
	Modern Olympics
	Prereq: SCIENTIFIC_METHOD AND Event77 option 2 has occurred
	Active/Weight: 100/500
		Result:
1.+1 Attitude with all AIs you have met

Event79
	Interstate
	Prereq: Universal Suffrage civic AND INDUSTRIALISM or RADIO AND Emancipation civic
	Active/Weight: 100/100
		Result:
1.all units travel faster on roads (I am not sure what “RouteChange = -5” does though)

Event87
	Rifled Cannon
	Prereq: RIFLING and STEEL
	Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT or ECOLOGY
		Result:
1.All Cannon units gain the Combat 1 promotion

Event88
	Metal Decks
	Prereq: FLIGHT and INDUSTRIALISM
	Obsolete: COMPOSITES
		Result:
1.All Carrier units gain the Drill 3 promotion

Event89
	Long Range Fighters
	Prereq: FLIGHT
	Obsolete: COMPOSITES
	Active/Weight: 20/200
		Result:
1.All Fighter units gain the Range 1 promotion

Event92
	Cigarette Smoker
	Prereq: DRAMA AND city with Theater
	Active/Weight: 80/200
		Result:
1.you lose 30 gold
2.you lose 10 gold AND the Theater is destroyed
3.the Theater is destroyed AND the city gains +1 angry face (like whipped)

Event93
	Heroic Gesture
	Prereq: You are at war and winning
	Active/Weight: 80/350
		Result:
1.Nothing
2.You make Peace AND gain +1 Attitude with the opponent

Event94
	Great Mediator
	Prereq: You are at war for 10 or more turns
	Active/Weight: 85/200
		Result:
1.Nothing
2.You make Peace AND gain +1 Attitude with the opponent

Event98
	Impact Crater
	Prereq: Tile with Jungle or Forest AND PHYSICS AND NO Uranium resource
	Active/Weight: 20/200
		Result:
1.Nothing
2.You pay 500 gold AND the tile gains Uranium AND road AND mine
Spoiler Events 101-120 :
Code:
Event106
	Literacy
	Prereq: NATIONALISM or PRINTING_PRESS or EDUCATION or GUNPOWDER or ASTRONOMY AND all cities have a library
	Active/Weight: 30/100
		Result:
1.1 city gains a free settled great scientist

Event114
	Hamburger Joint
	Prereq: RADIO AND tile with pastured Cows resource AND road or railroad
	Active/Weight: 90/100
		Result:
1.you gain 240 to 330 gold

Event116
	Fashion
	Prereq: RADIO AND City with Factory AND tile with silk AND plantation AND road OR railroad
		Result:
1.you gain 180 to 260 gold

Event118
	Girls Best Friend
	Prereq: City with Forge AND tile with gems resource AND mine AND road OR railroad
		Result:
1.you gain 120 to 180 gold

Top Bottom