• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Experienced Civ'er? Question for you...

Haavards

Chieftain
Do you automate your workers right from the start till the end?

I consider myself an experienced civ'er and on my first game I was going: "automate? no way, I've been playing this game for ages, no way a computer is gonna decide what to do"

But after a while I learned that automation works so good, and it actually ends up with doing more or less the same thing you would do.

Do you feel the same? Or am I doing a mistake automating?

99% of the time I will automate my workers. About the only time I'll control them is if I desperately need a resource outside of my borders, or if I need to build some sort of trade route ASAP. Other than that, I let them go on about their business. :salute:

Yeah, I mean. It's no longer to Mine or Irrigate no more. There's so many different wayd of improving the land. New options keeps poping up constantly when you discover new techs, so if you're gonna manually controll all the workers, your're talking micro-micro-micro management.

But it would've been nice if you could get the message "ok, I'm done making roads between the cities, find me a new job". Instead, suddenly all your workers are hiding within the city you built them in the first place.

I usually manually control my Workers at the start then automate them later. The reason being that I prefer to connect my cities with roads and trade routes first, then improve the land. Once the roads are made and the terrain improvement to access the resource is built, THEN I'll automate my Workers and let them improve the rest of my land as they see fit. Sure, I might be sacrificing control for time, but it lets me focus on the more fun parts of the game.

The only problem with automating workers is that when war starts they'll retreat to the cities, even if there aren't any enemy units nearby. I wish they would continue to work until an enemy unit is spotted and is in range to attack that turn -- THEN they can retreat to the city.

<---- Managerius micro :lol:

Just finished my first game and managed my workers from beginning to end. Late last night I just gave up and parked them all on one square for about 20-30 turns because I got tired of working them and didn't want them to mess up anything. VERY fun with all the options you get to work tiles - yeah, its micromanagement but its so sophisticated that its actually pretty fun.

Soryn Arkayn said:
The only problem with automating workers is that when war starts they'll retreat to the cities, even if there aren't any enemy units nearby. I wish they would continue to work until an enemy unit is spotted and is in range to attack that turn -- THEN they can retreat to the city.

Good point. I agree.

Top Bottom