Experiences with Google Sketchup?

W.i.n.t.e.r

Frozen!
Hi everybody,

I have only recently gone through the google sketchup library and spotted some vehicle/ship/naval models that would be very interesting to make, especialy since they are freely accessible and are such models that have been missing this far. Now, I have gotten me hands on the last version of sketchup7 and would like to know whether anyone has had any experiences with converting these files and working with them.

Perhaps one could help me with my current queries, as I am rather unsure of this whole venture... Many thanks in advance =)

1-What to observe?
2-How to convert?
3-Good Beginners' 3ds-Programes to fit/animate?
4-Way to best export 3ds files to civ format. (but this one later)

I had to download ColladaMax to be able to import the DAE format into 3ds correctly. Converting SKP files is a problem unless you buy Sketchup Pro or special converters AFAIK. (might be ways, haven't really checked lately)

Google Sketchup has alot of DAE format files available as well as Sketchup, so it's usually not an issue.

Blender is free open-source 3d program.

What I have done is setup a generic file that has lighting, shadows, ground setup. That way I import the model and everything else is good to go, and only usually needs adjustments. I had to create a script to auto-rotate the model, etc since I couldn't find a way to automatically render all 8 directions.

I think Takhisis knows about Blender, perhaps he can give some info. It may take a while to get used to everything 3d. I still feel like a noob, took me a (2 years now?) to get to where I'm at.

I created all my early models (mostly artillery pieces) using Google Sketchup and then imported them into Vue 6 Infinite and then exported them as OBJ or 3DS files to use in Bryce.

I had to download ColladaMax to be able to import the DAE format into 3ds correctly. Converting SKP files is a problem unless you buy Sketchup Pro or special converters AFAIK. (might be ways, haven't really checked lately)

Google Sketchup has alot of DAE format files available as well as Sketchup, so it's usually not an issue.

Blender is free open-source 3d program.

What I have done is setup a generic file that has lighting, shadows, ground setup. That way I import the model and everything else is good to go, and only usually needs adjustments. I had to create a script to auto-rotate the model, etc since I couldn't find a way to automatically render all 8 directions.

I think Takhisis knows about Blender, perhaps he can give some info. It may take a while to get used to everything 3d. I still feel like a noob, took me a (2 years now?) to get to where I'm at.

You can also use Bryce 7, which you can get for free in a Personal Learning Edition (i.e. non-commercial, if I remember right). A free download of an unrestricted Bryce 5.5 was also available once, although I do not know if it still is. I think Kryiakos also posted a few tips on using Bryce for CivIII a few months ago, too.

As for the models, I've never had any problems converting them to a usable format, either through Blender or a free program I found for .DAE conversions from a web search (unfortunately, the name escapes me right now).

Blender is open-source and can be used as an import/convert/export tool even if you prefer another for the actual animations. The caution about Blender is that it's optimized for use (single keystroke to re-normalize a whole model, for example) rahter than making it easy for beginners. There's a lot of flexibility but the interface can be tricky at first.

You can also use the open-source MeshLab to Convert the Files and it's Free.
you can find information about this using Google :)
Thanks for the pointer! It's hard to find tools like this for OsX.

Top Bottom