Experimental NES - A 14 Day Narrative Experiment - Retired Players and IOTers Welcome

" Sir Klaus Van ! " Shouted a soldier after entering the make - shift tent. " I must report for duty. General Christian Huge has sent a message to three people of military power, one of them being you. "

" Bring it to me " replied Klaus Van calmly, as to not give away his anger about the whole situation. He had heard rumours about an enemy invasion by the Tiverians, ancient enemies of the people of Fausten, but he could not be sure if this was one of Huge's tricks or a real invasion. Once he read his letter, he could not believe his eyes. The rumours were true. The Imperial Sovereignity had indeed declared war against the Republic.

" This has become way more chaotic than it needed " he thought to himself. On one hand, Christian Huge could not be trusted as he always was a master of intrigue. After all, he managed to exterminate the Monarch of a nation. On the other hand, whether the invasion was real or not, his refusal to join in Fausten's defence would lead in him and his movement being vilified. But because of his republican ideals, he could do nothing without the consent of the majority. So he gathered his soldiers in a public place, and the first ever Assembly of the Soldiers, as it would later be called, had begun.

" People of Fausten, I have received grim news from General Huge today. The Tiverian Imperium has declared war against Fausten with the intention of total conquest. " he said, as he began addressing to the crowd. The soldiers and the by - standers were shocked as much as he was when he received the news. Would the other states of the world try and not protect Fausten? Why did their lives all of sudden had to be ravaged upon by civil and external war, among other things? " Shall we let them do that however?" shouted Klaus Van. It was one of these amazing moments again, where even when there was no hope, Klaus Van had somehow managed to find a way to inspire his troops. " No! " they all shouted in unison. " Shall we let them slaughter our people and pillage our homes? " he shouted angrily again. " No! " the crowd, now composed by common folk too, shouted again. If the whole situation was taken from a complete outsider's point of view, it would seem that the people were propering for full scale rebellion again. But this time, it was different. The people were preparing for total war. " Then let us march against them! " Klaus Van shouted for his last sentence before finishing his speech.

Seeing that he had the support of the majority, if not of everyone, Van dismissed the crowd, and began writing a letter to General Huge.

Spoiler :

To General Christian Huge,
To whom other it may concern,
I accept your offer, but I will let you know of this: This war will only delay the inevitable for so long. Expect my soldiers and whoever else I may mobilise to against the Tiverians gather around the place of our common campaign.
Klaus Van

It was time to destroy Tiveria once and for all, so that they might not threaten Fausten again.

To: Klaus Van

You are hereby given the title of "Commander of National Defense" and the Republic shall fund your campaign against the Tiverians.

Christian Huge send this message to Klaus Van and returned back to posturing for the painter. He had commissioned a portrait of his to be made. The painter was painting very, very slowly but also precisely. He had wanted the painting to be as similar to the President as humanly possible. So, he took great care in his painting.

A few minutes later, the painter said: "It's finished. What do you think, your Excellency?"

"It looks great.", Christian Huge replied. Indeed, this painting looked exactly like him:

A Dead Man said:
To the Gentlemen Captain Voss, General Klaus Van and Captain Albert Hauge,

Our nation is under attack from the Imperial Sovereignty of Tiveria. Our enemies want to enslave our people, steal our wealth and subjugate our nation! I thus plead you to let go of our differences and to rally around the Republic to battle against the foreign enemy. Are you going to let enemy conquer the nation so you can gain power? Are you really that power hungry? I do not believe so. I believe that you must be good patriots. So, join me and battle against our enemies.

Christian Huge, President of the Republic

Hauge deliberately, methodically, ripped the message into shreds, glaring daggers at the Republican messenger who stood before him. His hands shook with rage, and he was not the only one. News of the Crown Prince's death, the King's death, had arrived an hour before, and the preparations for the march on the palace had disintegrated in the face of the Totenkopfen's grief.

"I should have you shot," Hauge muttered. The gendarme captain before him, unlucky or foolish enough to have delivered the letter, stood unfazed. He had a look in his eye that a more perceptive man would have been curious about, but Hauge was not in the mood for perception. He was in the mood for wrath.

"You would, in many ways, have some justification for that, given that the laws of war hardly apply here," it was a smug comment, and the captain's bearded chin belied the high-pitch of his voice. He was confident in something, and that only fuelled Hauge's anger. He needed to break something, soon.

"Return to your taskmaster, and let him know that there can be no peace between wolves and men."

"I don't intend to return," the captain began, "as delivering that message was the last command I was given. Indeed, it was merely a convenient way to present this!" And with that, the captain swept off his message satchel from around his shoulder and deposited on the war-room table. It landed with a heavy thud, very unlike paper. Wulff stepped forward and opened it up to look inside, and froze.

"What is it?" the gendarme simply smiled, and Wulff was paralyzed for another few agonizing seconds before he withdrew the shining object in his hand.

The Royal Crown of Fausten.

"Huge ordered that the crown jewels be melted down for coin, so that he could pay his men. But there are some things that all the gold in the world cannot pay for."

Hauge took the Crown from Wulff and held it aloft, examining every detail. He had trouble believing, had trouble imagining, that he held the Crown, and with it the power to make a King, in his hands.

"Long Live the King," he muttered.

"I have one more surprise for you. There are many of Huge's orders my fellow gendarmes could not carry out, and we have preserved more than just the royal regalia," the gendarme continued, saluting his new commander-in-chief. "When he ordered the execution of His Majesty, absent dignity or trial, my brethren spirited him once again to safety."

"Then the King lives? Long Live the King!"

Hey,

Sometimes You Wait.

The Republic messengers sat outside the shattered storefront a couple of streets off the docks. Now its backroom was the frontline headquarters of the dock defenses. They watched all matters of people come and go. From a group of small dirty, starved children to Palace guards, nobles and citizen. They had been spit on and what they hoped was mud. They would no have stood for such actions, except for the strangely dressed cavalry that patroled the streets and alleys.

"That bastard has made us sit here for hours." Complained the taller of the two. "Who does he think he is."

Just then a horse ass knocked him off his chair. "He thinks he is Captain Voss and you will wait until called for."

The smaller Republician jumped out of the way and helped his friend up. "Stop being a fool." He turned to look up at the strange tanned face of the rider. "This is a serious matter cavarlry man. Please could you contact Captain Voss. This is truely urgent."

Blaze Injun

Hauge deliberately, methodically, ripped the message into shreds, glaring daggers at the Republican messenger who stood before him. His hands shook with rage, and he was not the only one. News of the Crown Prince's death, the King's death, had arrived an hour before, and the preparations for the march on the palace had disintegrated in the face of the Totenkopfen's grief.

"I should have you shot," Hauge muttered. The gendarme captain before him, unlucky or foolish enough to have delivered the letter, stood unfazed. He had a look in his eye that a more perceptive man would have been curious about, but Hauge was not in the mood for perception. He was in the mood for wrath.

"You would, in many ways, have some justification for that, given that the laws of war hardly apply here," it was a smug comment, and the captain's bearded chin belied the high-pitch of his voice. He was confident in something, and that only fuelled Hauge's anger. He needed to break something, soon.

"Return to your taskmaster, and let him know that there can be no peace between wolves and men."

"I don't intend to return," the captain began, "as delivering that message was the last command I was given. Indeed, it was merely a convenient way to present this!" And with that, the captain swept off his message satchel from around his shoulder and deposited on the war-room table. It landed with a heavy thud, very unlike paper. Wulff stepped forward and opened it up to look inside, and froze.

"What is it?" the gendarme simply smiled, and Wulff was paralyzed for another few agonizing seconds before he withdrew the shining object in his hand.

The Royal Crown of Fausten.

"Huge ordered that the crown jewels be melted down for coin, so that he could pay his men. But there are some things that all the gold in the world cannot pay for."

Hauge took the Crown from Wulff and held it aloft, examining every detail. He had trouble believing, had trouble imagining, that he held the Crown, and with it the power to make a King, in his hands.

"Long Live the King," he muttered.

"I have one more surprise for you. There are many of Huge's orders my fellow gendarmes could not carry out, and we have preserved more than just the royal regalia," the gendarme continued, saluting his new commander-in-chief. "When he ordered the execution of His Majesty, absent dignity or trial, my brethren spirited him once again to safety."

"Then the King lives? Long Live the King!"

OOC: Could you please change the last one about Julian being alive? He was hanged in the Palace. If Thlayli says that my orders were not executed, then I am ok. But since he has not said such a thing, please change your last part. Thanks.

OOC: Could you please change the last one about Julian being alive? He was hanged in the Palace. If Thlayli says that my orders were not executed, then I am ok. But since he has not said such a thing, please change your last part. Thanks.

Very well, if you want to kill a twelve year old kid and major character in a throwaway line, so be it.

OOC: Ok. You can use him.

I'll specifically say that Julian was publicly hanged, but that the Crown Prince also seems to have survived according to some.

Whether or not the boy who survived is the real Julian or an impostor is a matter of opinion, isn't it? At least for the time being.

A Notice

To All Men of Patriotism and Faith

Do Not Despair

His Royal Majesty, King Julian, BTGOG Regnant Over Fausten, Is Alive And Well In the Care of Defenders of the Crown

By Royal Decree, Christian Huge and All His Ministers Are Found GUILTY of the Crimes of TREASON and REGICIDE

They Have Set Upon the People of Faustenberg with Musket and Shot, MURDERING Their Fellows In The Street

They Have CONSPIRED With Our Enemies, Tiveria, To Render You Widows and Orphans In Return for Recognition Of Their Vile Regime

They Have HOARDED FOOD and Wealth in the Palace, Ignoring the Sufferings of Their Citizens

For This, The Punishment Can Only be Death

Let No Patriot of Fausten Give Succor Or Aid to the Republican Regime

Let No Patriot of Fausten Impede the Executioners of the Royal Decree

Let All Patriots of Fausten Rally To the Flag of Albert Hauge, Lord Regent of Fausten

Long Live the King!

In a small dockside house, Aeneas sat observing his fingernails.
He hadn't received an audience with Cuthbert, which could very well have been due to the fact that Cuthbert was having a hard time staying alive. He still needed to find a way to cement his power block.
What to do with this "King Julian III"? If he could perhaps game the situation, he could get out of this with a bit of profit.
He sat there, lit a candle, and wondered how events were going to pan out. Perhaps he could fund multiple sides in the conflict?

Pending further edits

The Commander-in-Chief Van Klong Junker and his 600 men reached a village in the South. A scout reported to him that 100 Tiverians were seen.They were a group of soldiers who had broken away from the main army in order to loot. He ordered the cannons to surround the village and fire at will. The cannons indeed fired, bringing fire and death to the village. More than 400 villages and 50 enemy soldiers were killed. Then, Van Klong Junker ordered the cavalry to charge. The Tiverians were massacred.

Once the battle was finished, a soldier came to report.

"Commander, all of the prisoners who we have captured informed us that the Tiverian army numbers 75,000 men and that even more soldiers are on the way."

"What?!", Van Klong Junker shouted. "How am I supposed to stop 75,000 men with 600 soldiers?! Who am I, Leonidas? And there is not even a Thermopylae for me to hold my ground."

"Actually, there is one sir."

"Which?"

"The Wilhem Pass."

Indeed, the Wilhem Pass was a narrow pass surrounded by mountains from both sides. So, there was no way one could outflank the defenders there or use his entire army.

Wilhem Pass was the only path leading to the capital from the South, the direction from which the Tiverians invaded.

"Indeed! This will be my Thermopylae! Men, we are going to hold our ground for the nation! Even if we all die, we will have gained everlasting glory and all future generations for thousands of years will say how 600 brave men stopped a army of 75,000 soldiers at Wilhem Pass. Are you with me?!"

All soldiers were inspired and motivated by the idea of gaining everlasting glory and so they cheered and started their march towards Wilhem Pass. A few hours later, they reached the Pass and they started fortifying. They were going to fight a battle against all odds.

Van Klong Junker also send a letter to Klaus Van:

Brother Klaus Van,

I hope that your soldiers can come to my aid in the Wilhem Pass. Here is where we can stop the invaders. If you do not come, I will not blame you. But keep in your mind that me and my 600 men are going to fight to the last man against the 75,000 Tiverians bastards!

With gratitude,

Commander in Chief of the Army of the Republic, Van Klong Junker

Commander Van Klong Junker
I accept your offer to defend Wilhem Pass with much gratitude. The Fausten people are ready to defend their lands from the Tiverian menace.
With respect,
Klaus Van

"Ironic isn't it?" Cuthbert said across a checkered regicide board from the Bishop of Willum Mosse. "The whole city seems to be playing regicide and here's me and you sitting down for a friendly game."

Cuthbert was wrapped in many bandages and a weariness hung about him as though he had just woken from a deathly sleep. The Bishop maintained a warm attitude, he and Cuthbert had been friends for a very long time. They had met first when he had been head of the Seminary that Cuthbert was studying at. "I've heard you're playing a bit of regicide yourself Cuthbert Wells." He responded, at the same time moving his priest to a black square near the centre of the board.

"I play my part in the plan that is laid out for us Bishop." He responded "Though still I fear what I'm doing here. I hold together the Unions and workers with a vision of faith and a better life to come. I never wanted to be their leader but that it what I have become. People seek to negotiate with me now, other seek me to dispense justice. Responsibilities have been thrust upon me." He moved up his ship to threaten the Bishop's hussar.

"Indeed," responded the Bishop "I had heard you have relatives of the king in your custody."

"And I wish I did not. They are men who were part of they system that made so many of my people starve, caused the deaths of so many." Cuthbert sighed and tilted his head slightly, a wave of pain coursed through him and he gave out a little moan.

"You are unwell Cuthbert, you should rest." The Bishop moved his Hussar to take Cuthbert's soldier and thus endanger his king.

"They ask me to dispense justice, they ask for me to decide that which is God's will to decide. They think I am blessed as I survived yesterday's attack." The pain was coming back, hard and fast. He was wrong to have told the Bishop he could still make the meeting. Right now he longed for nothing but Amy's tender nursing and company. "I am not ready to make such choices. The nobles will stay guarded in their hole and I'll decree their fate when I feel a bit better." Cuthbert moved his King back to what he thought was relative safety.

The Bishop moved his ship forwards and put Cuthbert's King in lock - winning the game. "You never were that good at Regicide Cuthbert. Don't get in over your head."

Day 4, 12:30 AM

Her icy smile penetrated his skin "I thought they would have killed you. Heaven knows you would deserve it"

Altraius bowed "I apologize Your Highness. It was a mistake that I have lived with for many years now."

"You shouldn't have lived with it for years. You should have lived with it for a few minutes before you were killed"

He shrugged "Indeed, maybe I should have. A traitor's reward. But perhaps now, an opportunity to redeem myself"

She laughed "A traitor to kill a traitor then? Rohan, you have not changed at all. Actions do not negate other actions. Let's put aside the fact that you have given orders that have now killed hundreds, or the fact that you agreed to betray your country to Tiveria." she shuddered "You were a Royal Guard. You were supposed to be the most loyal of all"

"Clearly the others did not. The Royal Guards are Huge's most loyal men at this point."

A deep, booming voice came from behind "Not all men take their oaths so lightly, Captain Altraius"

Altraius turned around and smiled "Lord Bruno Strowe. That answers the question of how Her Highness survived." Standing next to Eisel, a large domineering man with a thick curled moustache stood. Bruno Strowe. The legendary Iron Wall of Fausten, and the best duelist in the Kingdom

Strowe bowed "Indeed. A man of honor can accomplish any feat. However, at times like this, a dishonorable man is needed."

Altraius laughed "What, I help you and then you kill me?"

Stowe twirled his mustache in his finger "Unfortunately no. No matter how much it would give me pleasure, I will not kill you."

"I could" piped up Joanna. "It would give me great pleasure and I'd have no qualms about it."

"Your Highness" said Eisel, in a calm and steady voice. Apparently royalty was deserving of a small bit of decorum "While our dear Rowan is no doubt a scoundrel of the second lowest degree, he did at the very least remember his oath. He leaped at the chance to find you!"

Joanna rolled her eyes "Wow, for once." She turned to Stowe "Who is this man?"

Before Stowe could answer, Eisel bowed "A scoundrel of the first lowest degree, Your Highness"

Stowe cleared his throat "He is a man of a great many talents, Your Highness. A spy. However, while I share your pain for what Captain Altraius did to our country"

She snapped back "You do NOT understand. It wasn't just to the country. It was personal as well."

Stowe nodded "Please forgive me Your Highness. However, Captain Altraius is here. And he's the only one who can...."

Joanna nodded "Very well. But when this is over, he will not remain in this country. Send him to Tiveria since he likes it so much. Or better yet, send him across the ocean. I wouldn't want to delight him with his 'Imperial Mistress'."

Altraius spoke up "I am here because I do bare some part of my oath still. At the very least, I want Huge dead. I think you do too." Stowe nodded and Altraius continued "Her Highness will be needed to ensure that the monarchy continues so that another of Huge's generals doesn't continue this disgusting republic and to break the riots. That is the only reason I am here."

Stowe nodded "An alliance of mutual aims. That is all we ask."

"Agreed. Now what is it you want from me."

"Captain Albert Hague leads a force of Royal Guards. The Death's Head Crowns. They can storm the palace, kill Huge, and secure the nobility."

"He can't march through the Azure or the South Gate though. Huge would escape. It needs to be quick."

"Indeed. A surprise attack."

They spoke for some time. At last Altraius nodded. "I have your word then?"

Stowe nodded "The word of a man of honor."

"And Her Highness's?"

She sighed "Very well. You have my word."

Eisel clapped and Altraius nodded "Very well then Stowe. I leave her in your hands then. I think I'll be able to figure out the details when I'm there."

Stowe stood up and saluted "Go forth, Captain Altraius. Go forth and reclaim your tarnished honor!"

And so it begins

Day 4, 9:30 PM (Note: By Shadowbound)

The Totenkopfen moved in column through the streets of Faustenberg as the sun set, grim and silent. The blades of their bayonets had been blackened by ash, and their dark uniforms made them seem like a swarm of wraiths out of the netherworld, come to visit divine wrath on the enemies of the crown. Which, as far as the people were concerned, they might as well be. Neighborhood barricades were abandoned as they passed by, local ruffians knowing better than to challenge hundreds of trained killers.

Well, that, and jaegers moving before and alongside the columns helped clear the way. Light infantry, armed with hatchets and long rifles, scouted the streets, finding clear avenues of approach and scattering opposition that could not be circumvented. Outside of the Grand District organized resistance was negligible: trade unionists and Royalists, ideological differences aside, kept an uneasy truce in mutual recognition of their common enemy.

The true test would come as they approached the gates of the Grand District, guarded by Huge's paid-for gendarmes and royal guardsmen. Then they would need their light cannons, steady aim, and bloody bayonets to break through into the heart of Republican power.

Or would they?

Day 4, 10 PM (by <nuke>)

Atop the West Gate. Altraius shuddered. Where it had all begun. This was it. Lieutenant Waldstein was next to him holding the torch, nodding. The Crowned Heads were out there, but hidden by darkness. He supposed that was the point.

"Co Cooo! Cooo Coooo!"

The signal! Altraius nodded to the solder at the bottom of the steps. The West Gate slowly creaked open, and soon the march of boots began. One could not fault the Royal Guards for their efficiency.

He had his own business to take care of now. But it would hinge on the Crowned Heads. If they were successful the country would be saved. If not...best not to think about it if not. He had a food horse at least. And where Eisel was would be anyone's guess, and he did not care to think what that fool might be doing now...

"Godspeed Commander" said Altraius as the last Guardsmen filed through. "Godspeed...."

The Totenkopfen moved in column through the streets of Faustenberg as the sun set, grim and silent. The blades of their bayonets had been blackened by ash, and their dark uniforms made them seem like a swarm of wraiths out of the netherworld, come to visit divine wrath on the enemies of the crown. Which, as far as the people were concerned, they might as well be. Neighborhood barricades were abandoned as they passed by, local ruffians knowing better than to challenge hundreds of trained killers.

Well, that, and jaegers moving before and alongside the columns helped clear the way. Light infantry, armed with hatchets and long rifles, scouted the streets, finding clear avenues of approach and scattering opposition that could not be circumvented. Outside of the Grand District organized resistance was negligible: trade unionists and Royalists, ideological differences aside, kept an uneasy truce in mutual recognition of their common enemy.

The true test would come as they approached the gates of the Grand District, guarded by Huge's paid-for gendarmes and royal guardsmen. Then they would need their light cannons, steady aim, and bloody bayonets to break through into the heart of Republican power.

Or would they?

OOC: Pretend this story goes before Nuke's.

Day 4, 10:30 PM

Station #6 once more. 278 Gendarme in formation. Altraius was surprised; he had thought that they had been completely won over to Huge with his bribes. But the killing of Crown Prince Jullian. No.They had not sunk that low. There were even rumors that two Gendarme had spirited the child away, and had hung some peasant boy in his place. One could only hope. But if not, the great thing about Royal families is that there were plenty of them to go around. If not Joanna, then her cousins. If not them, then their cousins. One way or another, this republic would die with a proper monarch on the throne once more.

Aside from Holst and his 15 or so personal guards, and the 9 killed in the fighting earlier today, that left only about 18 Gendarme loyal to Huge somewhere in the palace. Very good then thought Altraius. Only one thing left to do then.

Altraius shouted "Gendarmerie! The terror and violence that has engulfed our fair country ends tonight! It is time to cleanse this country, and bring the criminals to justice!"

The men cheered and shouted with passion.

The cannons and gattling guns were loaded. The torches were ready.

The Gendarme marched through the town, past the Azure District and into the industrial heart of the city. The men at the barricades took a look at their jackets and the crimson uniforms and riased their guns, but not quickly enough, and fell to Gendarme bullets.

The windows were broken, and the men prepared. Cuthbert Cocktails as they were called by the rebels, they were actually rather effective. Live by the sword, die by the sword thought Altraius as the men tossed the burning bottles. The cannons fired, and the city went alive once more with screams of terror.

Tomorrow, Altraius might flee.

Tomorrow, Altraius might receive a medal.

Tomorrow, Altraius might be called the savior of the city.

Tomorrow, Altraius might be called a new name. "The Crimson Butcher" was catching on.

But that was tomorrow. What of tonight?

Tonight, the Red and Black would die.

Tonight, this disorder would end.

Tonight, peace would return.

Tonight, they burned the Jarrow.

Alright, I'm gonna start to end my short hiatus from S&T to play in this.

Top Bottom