Thanks for your thoughts

"heh. Based on this I just discovered the optimal solution to the Plague Armageddon event: Immediately switch to slavery. Your cities won't starve while your in anarchy, and then after you exit anarchy, since those people are going to starve anyway, why not whip them into something useful?"

Yep that's what I always do.

"anyway the reason why cities can't starve while rioting is because if they could then they would almost always starve to one or two pop, because they cannot work tiles while rioting."

which is why I suggested this: "enabling the city radius, food production, and starvation" but disabling everything else. I know this issue is present in base Civ, but I've never understood why.

"Sheaim people are people who either agree with the Sheaim worldview, hope to benefit from the Sheaim, are slaves, or are undead or extraplanar outsiders. Of these, the slaves would great the liberators, but the others wouldn't, and from the liberator's POV, there would be a lot of purging of evil magic and such to do, which could also be represented by the riot period."

In the lore people are horrified by the sounds of torture in Os Gabella's palace and pray for her victim. How loyal could people really be to a worldview that wants to end the world? Most likely the ordinary people are held in bondage to a tyranny whose objectives they don't really understand. Even their second leader was forced into the position under threat of eternal torture. Very interesting counter concerning the purging though.

" Oh also, Sheaim aren't always "evil" as far as the game alignment system goes. I'm currently fighting "Good" aligned Sheaim who founded Order and instantly converted to it. Their still the same pyre-zombieing, AC-raising Sheaim we all know and "love" but according to the game their "Good" aligned because their an Order civ."

Interesting. Good aligned isn't possible is it? Do you mean neutral? Maybe people would only celebrate liberation if they played as evil and revealed their true character?

"regarding the Calabim, a lot of fictional vampires have supernatural means to control their slaves. I've always assumed that's part of why their populance is loyal."

In the lore people attempted a revolution and of course they can still riot.

"If we do this, Octopus Overlords and the Sheaim would need serious buffs."

Which is why I'm suggesting it in conjunction with this: "Reduced WW or none at all for defeated summons and undead." It'd mean substituting civ wide WW for localised unhappiness. I think it'd be an interesting variation and more logical lore-wise.

"Interesting. Good aligned isn't possible is it? Do you mean neutral? Maybe people would only celebrate liberation if they played as evil and revealed their true character?"

nope, according to the game they were "Good" aligned. Try playing Sheaim and founding order and you'll see

Some summons like Magic Missile already don't cause war weariness when killed. Not sure why that doesn't extend to all of them, but your right it should. This shouldn't be too hard of a fix to implement?

I have a game that's all but won with Altar victory soon. Suddenly, after pressing skip turn in the attached save file, I'm getting a bunch of free techs with no explanation "You discovered <blah>" x 6, and a few more couple of turns after that.

The techs seem to be things the Amurites know, but my civ doesn't.

Eyes and Ears network is not built in this game.

The free techs doesn't happen if I declare war on Amurites.

Amurites are the only other member of the overcouncil other than my civ, but only resolution passed so far is stop trading with the Clan of Embers.

Relation with amurites are "pleased" with Open Borders, embassy, and trading a resource.

I don't think it's the Tech Propagation because I looked it up in this thread and giving free tech isn't how it works, and it never happened in the 4 or so games I've played with EMM.

Is this an event that happened to Amurites or something?

Attachments

• malakim free techs for some reason if war not declared against amurites.CivBeyondSwordSave
    285.7 KB · Views: 92
Sorry for the late answer. Thanks for your suggestions and reports! I focused on those I felt capable to judge adequately.

If you disagree strongly on a specific point, you can always ask for help changing things yourself. For some things that might by possible even without programming knowledge (for example the hill giants' names).

You might be right, but then the game should stop telling me they're ready to capitulate.
Agreed. I will look into that. Do you have a savegame for testing that situation?

Puppet states. I haven't seen the latter in the game and don't know what it is.
Couldn't reproduce that. Do you have a savegame?

No harm in asking :p
Of course not. :)

Another suggestion. Sanctifying hell terrain in a large empire is very time consuming and boring. Can you make it so hell can't return to a square for a minimum of 15 turns after sanctification?
Sounds reasonable, but no idea how hard that would be to implement.

Sheut stone wiki needs an update to explain its bonus to units.
Agreed.

Does the hell pillar resource do anything? If so it too needs a wiki update.
Nothing special AFAIK.

Is there a reason why pyre zombies can't upgrade to Eidolons when Sheaim warriors can? Other undead like drowned can too.
I think only religious units can change race when upgrading. Not sure about warriors.

Is there a reason only melees can have guardsman promo? I can upgrade a guardsman warrior into a guardsman archer, but I can't train an archer and make him a guardsman. For sheaim this is particularly annoying, I only have zombies to block marksmen.
Sheaim have Succubi, Minotaurs and Chaos Marauders which should be able to get guardsman.

Marksmen getting to choose the unit they attack from the whole stack, not just choosing between the strongest and weakest.
Too complicated in my opinion.

A new unhappiness factor when an undead unit like a zombie or drown is produced, as it means somebody's son has been murdered, eg 0.25 unhappiness for 10 turns in the city where the unit was made. Would necessitate spreading production between different cities and diversifying armies.
Zombies are usually reanimated dead (no need for murder). And I believe the drown are simply especially devout followers of the OO.

I find drowns and stygians very ugly, and not at all resembling ex-humans. I think a model closer to the pyre zombie and eidolon is better.
Do you have one? :)
We never had a real graphics designer working on EMM.

Allowing ships at least some defensive strength when caught in cities. The crews of ships were tough guys and used to terrorise land lubbers all the time.
Tough to implement and not really adding anything IMO. Still, there is the issue with HN ships being destroyed directly after building...

I have a game that's all but won with Altar victory soon. Suddenly, after pressing skip turn in the attached save file, I'm getting a bunch of free techs with no explanation "You discovered <blah>" x 6, and a few more couple of turns after that.

The techs seem to be things the Amurites know, but my civ doesn't.

Eyes and Ears network is not built in this game.

The free techs doesn't happen if I declare war on Amurites.

Amurites are the only other member of the overcouncil other than my civ, but only resolution passed so far is stop trading with the Clan of Embers.

Relation with amurites are "pleased" with Open Borders, embassy, and trading a resource.

I don't think it's the Tech Propagation because I looked it up in this thread and giving free tech is how it works, and it never happened in the 4 or so games I've played with EMM.

Is this an event that happened to Amurites or something?

The log says it's tech diffusion, i.e. the mechanic from BUG. Not sure why that's activated. I filed a bug report.

Hello everyone! I am very, very sorry about the months of silence and inactivity. I had some problems to solve before I could come back to development for real. Nothing bad, just a lot of changes in my life and my job and some issues outside of my contorl that I had to take care of. Now all the issues that made me stay inactive are finally solved for good and I can come back to development! It will take me a few days to get my development environment up and running again and to read about everything that has been going on in the community during this time, but since now I am going to have a lot more free time than before you can expect a new release very soon.

0.5.1 was almost ready before my period of inactivity began, but a lot of things have happened since then. So what do you prefer; a quick 0.5.1 release with just bugfixes, or should I start working directly towards a 0.6.0 beta version that includes the great stuff in the More Naval AI 2.7 beta, the changes from EitB v12 and maybe some other additions?

Now, I have a lot of comments to answer :)

If EMM isn't intended to work with blue marble, media files etc. from FFH2, maybe there should be a warning about that in the first post (since those features are included in FFH2 installer).

You are right, I will add a note about this to the readme.

Hello.

I have been playing with ExtraModmod for two weeks now, and overall I enjoy the changes. However, something really excessive just happened to me, and I don't know if it's a bug or a feature. Here it is:
I had already completed the fourth level Altar of Luonnotar, and just generated a prophet. I was also researching Divine essence, so victory seemed close... Then I suddenly realized that my prophet couldn't create the fith Altar, because... all the former altars were gone from the city I had built them in!
It took me a while to understand what happened, but I eventually realized they had been destroyed by the Worldbreak spell. Now, if it was just a regular building, I wouldn't mind rebuilding it. But since each altar replaces the former, I didn't only lose the fourth one, but also the first three! So, now, I need to generate four additional prophets... Isn't it a bit excessive?

I hope you continue enjoying it! :)

I don't think that Worldbreak should be able to break altar pieces, or any wonders for that matter. I will create a task about this and I will solve it for the next version.

worldbreak also destroys palaces....

That is certainly a bug! I will check this as well.

[to_xp]Gekko;14243825 said:
any news about progress towards the next release Terkhen? I'm looking forward to Eitb v12 being incorporated, but maybe you want to wait till MNAI 2.7 is out of beta?

edit: just looked at the issues page and I see eitb merge is scheduled for 0.6, any chance that we can get the "favored promotion is kept upon upgrading to different unit lines" in 0.5.1 already? the malakim are kinda crappy without that feature :(

edit2: wiki should probably add the issue with fractional yields that makes 1 hammer cities with apprenticeship get 0 hammers when building units, it was mentioned a few pages ago. it seems like this is a MNAI change so you'll have to ask Tholal where that code is.

edit3: shouldn't puppet states be the same civ as their liberator? kinda weird to get weird offspring and we have plenty of leaders to choose from :D

edit4: autoplayed a game to the lategame and noticed a couple odd behaviours by the AI: the Illians didn't use Auric Ascended effectively at all, and they didn't seem to have an increase in power rating when he was summoned. they also did not disable their research after done with the tech tree, despite being unwilling to get pass through the ether and future tech

edit5: is the issue with scorpion clan goblins not defending their forts fixed already in newer MNAI versions?

If we aim directly for a 0.6.0-beta1 release instead of for 0.5.1, EitB v12 would be incorporated in the next release.

edit: I thought that the Malakim already worked like that! If we aim for a 0.5.1 release, "favored promotion is kept upon upgrading to different unit lines" will be added as a bugfix.

edit2: I would rather prefer to fix the issue. For a 0.6.0 beta release I actually plan to spend most of my time helping with More Naval AI bugs, so I will check that code among others.

edit3: I think that it makes more sense that puppet states should have the same civilization than the city that was conquered had. For me, the feature means "installing a local leader that is favorable to me, and keep everything running mostly as it was running before", so it should not change civilization type.

edit4: To my knowledge the AI has never used Auric Ascended effectively. This unit should have an specialized AI, like the one that More Naval AI introduced for Loki. I have made a note to look into this for the future, as I would certainly enjoy a scary game facing Auric Ascended :). Also, what do you mean with "being unwilling to get pass through the ether and future tech"?

edit5: I think so, I have made a note about this too.

Illians definitely need later one WW reduction buliding, after the draw ritual, WW kills my economy ( and therefore everything) more than any enemy could...

Maybe The Draw could also grant a 25% global reduction in war weariness. What do others think about this issue?

AI explores dungeons and werewolves kill civilizations, usually I have to take turn back, open WB and delete werewolves.

I have not seen this happening since BarbsPlus was merged. If I remember correctly, werewolves should not appear near capital cities at all.

That's a good solution but I think it's better to limit the amount of experience gainable from fighting spells and summons, similar to what happens with barbarians. Maybe 20xp from level 1spells, 30xp from 1 and 2 combined, and 50 from level 3 creatures (like wraiths) and 1 and 2 combined. At the moment my defenders are gaining 100+xp from puppets and ghouls. The AI should still attack but not make me stronger by doing so. Also sometimes they may benefit more from keeping their summons in defense rather than suiciding them, that's where your idea could come in very handy.

I think that this is intended, to make summoners take care of not giving their enemies too much XP. I agree that maybe there should be a limit to this. Thoughts?

Bannor are ready to capitulate but they can't negotiate because in crusade, and won't come out, so they're wiped out.

You might be right, but then the game should stop telling me they're ready to capitulate.

I have made a note to look into this issue.

Not a bad idea. But I was thinking of a trade option. I declare war in return for military right of passage (no passage for settlers and no trade). The right only lasts as long as we're both at war with the other party.

Isn't this the same as trading "Open Borders" in exchange to "Declare war to X"?

I can't buy cities from my vassals (they can still buy mine).

You are not given the option at all, or is the AI just refusing?

What about a spell to create hell? It can destroy enemy forests and create hell resources.

I don't think there is any magic sphere spell or religious spell that should be replaced for this one.

Sheut stone wiki needs an update to explain its bonus to units.

I made a note about adding this.

Does the hell pillar resource do anything? If so it too needs a wiki update.

Yes, I believe the same than lfgr; I think it does not do anything.

More intelligent behaviour from Orthus and the 4 horsemen, making them withdraw instead of suiciding, and come back again when stronger. Maybe even the ability to build a fort where other barbs can spawn to support them. The stronger the players become the more they can recruit.

I made a note about looking at the behavior of Orthus and the Horsemen. It would be very low priority, though.

The ability to turn hidden nationality and invisibility back on after they are removed. For HN the unit would need to be out of sight of other players to do this.

HN units made unable to stand in same square as your other units. When they're stacked together it's obvious they belong to you because most players can't stack with barbarians.

HN units made able to board your ships as enemy can't see what your ships are carrying anyway. If they unboard in sight of another player their nationality will be revealed.

These changes are quite complicated, and they would also require big changes to how the AI handles them. Maybe for the future :)

The names of the three hill giants made invisible to other players- so nobody knows if they are barbarian or player made. Also the game not announcing which player made the pact of the nilhorn. This way they're truly hidden nationality.

I agree about the game not announcing who made the pact of the Nilhorn and I have added a note about adding that. I think that they should stay with their name, though.

Reduced WW or none at all for defeated summons and undead.

There were arguments about undeads in the past, but I don't remember the outcome. I think that they should give at least some WW (losing battles still matters, even if you don't care about who is getting killed on them). With regards to summons, I think that's already the case.

I find drowns and stygians very ugly, and not at all resembling ex-humans. I think a model closer to the pyre zombie and eidolon is better.

Besides what lfgr said about us lacking models or knowledge to make them, if I remember correctly stygian guards are demons.

A new mechanic when Calabim or Sheaim cities are captured by good players. Wouldn't the people celebrate being liberated instead of rioting?

I am not so sure. What if the masters come back and decide to purge anyone who was too happy about their defeat?

Is there a reason why rioting cities can't starve? This makes them immune to blight among other things. How about stopping all hammers, commerce and pop or culture growth; but enabling the city radius, food production, and starvation?

This would be too game changing, sorry.

Allow hunter with water promo to defend stack of ships and capture sea animals.

I am not sure if this would be the best way to do it, but I would certainly like better ways to capture sea animals.

The log says it's tech diffusion, i.e. the mechanic from BUG. Not sure why that's activated. I filed a bug report.

Thank you very much! Both for the bug report and for checking this thread and taking the time to answer :)

There were arguments about undeads in the past, but I don't remember the outcome. I think that they should give at least some WW (losing battles still matters, even if you don't care about who is getting killed on them). With regards to summons, I think that's already the case.

For some like Magic Missile yes (its explicitly stated in the Civilopedia) but I'm not sure this applies to all of them

I am not sure if this would be the best way to do it, but I would certainly like better ways to capture sea animals.

how does one currently capture sea animals?

Also any re to my Hyboream related python exception?

Also for whatever reason AI Hybo often fails to use his starting settlers

Also from my above-mentioned Malakim game, resurrect and shrine of champions is not available when Teutorix is killed/disbanded. I'm guessing it's because of presence of Mercurian and/or Infernals in the game and their resurrect-on-death code interfering somehow? happens even when Teutorix has no religion affiliation and thus won't trigger the demon/angel spawning.

Resurrect/Shrine of champions seemed to work when i went back to a save before the civs came in the game, and created Teutorix using world editor and disbanded him.

edit3: I think that it makes more sense that puppet states should have the same civilization than the city that was conquered had. For me, the feature means "installing a local leader that is favorable to me, and keep everything running mostly as it was running before", so it should not change civilization type.

It's intended that you get the same civilization no matter what, even if that means duplicate leaders. As I coded the civ/leader choice, I'll look into it, but I wasn't yet able to reproduce that issue.

how does one currently capture sea animals?

With satyrs and their "mezmerize animal" spell.

Suggestion: Summons like skeletons should start with Guardsman.

From a fluff POV this represents their role as disposable troops who will mindlessly defend the ones who summoned them.

From a game mechanic perspective this would let them protect their casters from enemy assassins

Crossbow and UU should be able to use mirthil weapons, if for nothing more than consistence sake.

Arqebus currently is rather weak, 180h and needing blasting powder witch is as rare as mirthil. This unit should be cheaper (160h) and moved into gunpowder unit type, so there is no counter promotion against them. Maybe even bring back ignoring city def?

I don't remember if civics were fixed to something resembling balance, since I made some changes to them. Are agrarianism/aristocracy still rule the day?

archers usually take drill promos. Nobody in their sane mind uses "city defence" promotions.

I'd replace irrelevent city defence promo with "no withdrawal" and some healing.

1 lvl city defence: 50% chance no wihdrawal

2 lvl city def 100 % no withdrawal

3 lvl city def 10 % healing after combat.

Atleast makes archers better city defenders vs horse archer spamming. drill promos are useless against of HA withdrawal orgy - HA-s are immune to first srikes.

It's intended that you get the same civilization no matter what, even if that means duplicate leaders. As I coded the civ/leader choice, I'll look into it, but I wasn't yet able to reproduce that issue.

The problem only came up if all leaders of a certain civ already existed. I filed a fix for this in the MNAI repo.

This gave me an idea: duplicate leaders created by puppet states and revolutions could get a random name (something simple like random fantasy name by civ + title), to prevent confusion and preserve immersion. All leader stats would stay the same. What do you all think?
I was thinking of random images or personality too, but given the puppet state situation is actually quite unlikely, that would be much work for little gain. Maybe later, if we ever do a revolutions overhaul.

Okay people, I have decided to release a quick 0.5.1 before getting to work on 0.6. I will keep you posted.

For some like Magic Missile yes (its explicitly stated in the Civilopedia) but I'm not sure this applies to all of them

I will revisit this issue for 0.6, after checking how we are dealing with it and how it is handled in other modmods.

Also any re to my Hyboream related python exception?

I must have missed your post, I have added this to my notes which I will soon turn into proper issues in the tracker. I will need to check if it is going to be handled in 0.5.1 or in 0.6 though.

Also for whatever reason AI Hybo often fails to use his starting settlers

Can you give more details, or provide a savegame in which this happens?

Also from my above-mentioned Malakim game, resurrect and shrine of champions is not available when Teutorix is killed/disbanded. I'm guessing it's because of presence of Mercurian and/or Infernals in the game and their resurrect-on-death code interfering somehow? happens even when Teutorix has no religion affiliation and thus won't trigger the demon/angel spawning.

Resurrect/Shrine of champions seemed to work when i went back to a save before the civs came in the game, and created Teutorix using world editor and disbanded him.

I don't know much about how the resurrection mechanics work when the Mercurian and the Infernals are in the game, so I cannot tell what is going on. Can you provide savegames from before and after this happens?

Suggestion: Summons like skeletons should start with Guardsman.

From a fluff POV this represents their role as disposable troops who will mindlessly defend the ones who summoned them.

From a game mechanic perspective this would let them protect their casters from enemy assassins

Mindless troops should not be very good at stopping professional killers, in my opinion. From the game mechanics point of view, assassins already are one of the few counters to huge stacks of units defending a few, powerful spellcasters. And since even that counter is already stopped easily with a few Guardsman units, I don't really want to make this even easier than it already is.

Crossbow and UU should be able to use mirthil weapons, if for nothing more than consistence sake.

archers usually take drill promos. Nobody in their sane mind uses "city defence" promotions.

As I have mentioned before, I am still not planning to work on balance issues for the foreeseable future, except for changes to ExtraModMod specific features and merging Erebus in the Balance updates into ExtraModMod. I am not saying that the game is completely balanced (the opposite is true actually), but I just feel that trying to balance a moving target is complicated and that the balance discussions in this thread usually do not gather enough traction as we are currently not focused on them. I believe it is better to focus on the features that we are adding for now, and after that we can focus entirely on balance.

I don't remember if civics were fixed to something resembling balance, since I made some changes to them. Are agrarianism/aristocracy still rule the day?

You can check the emm_features.txt file included in all releases to get a list of everything that is changed in ExtraModMod. EMM includes Erebus in the Balance, and they have done a lot of work with regard to this.

The problem only came up if all leaders of a certain civ already existed. I filed a fix for this in the MNAI repo.

This gave me an idea: duplicate leaders created by puppet states and revolutions could get a random name (something simple like random fantasy name by civ + title), to prevent confusion and preserve immersion. All leader stats would stay the same. What do you all think?
I was thinking of random images or personality too, but given the puppet state situation is actually quite unlikely, that would be much work for little gain. Maybe later, if we ever do a revolutions overhaul.

I have always toyed with the idea of having a new game option to start normal games in which it is possible to get entirely random enemy leaders. Each civilization would have a pool of portraits for their random leaders, along with a list of traits that can be randomly chosen for the first slot and a similar one for the second slot. I designed the leader category system with this future expansion in mind. I always considered this as something for the far future, when BarbsPlus is finally finished. If something like this was implemented, it could be used for the puppets as well.

Glad to see you back! Are issues currently listed on bitbucket representative of what we can expect in 0.5.1 and 0.6.0-beta?

Glad to see you back! Are issues currently listed on bitbucket representative of what we can expect in 0.5.1 and 0.6.0-beta?

Thank you!

Kind of. For 0.5.1 I need to create a bunch of issues that were reported while I was away (they are currently just on a txt on my desktop computer). Now that I have a working coding environment again, I was planning to try to reproduce them and create issues in the tracker accordingly.

For 0.6.0-beta I believe that the top priority we had was getting an almost complete set of animals already spawning depending on terrain types and so on. I also want to merge with MNAI 2.7 and with the most recent version of EitB, and I would like to get it out as soon as possible. Because of that, it is possible that some of the minifeatures that are currently planned for 0.6 will end up being moved to 0.7.

Also, I moved the pitboss crash issue to 0.6 because I did not have much success in debugging it. If I remember correctly, the stacktrace was showing that it crashed in code outside of the DLL and therefore it was impossible for me to know what was going on. I believe this crash is caused by some bugged code in the DLL itself that leaves the game in a state that will make pitboss crash, but it is quite difficult to find the cause.

ExtraModMod 0.5.1 has finally been released!.

0.5.1 is mostly a bugfix release, although it includes some cool features from lfgr's Events Enhanced. The Great People that appear in the game are now are chosen based on race, civilization, religion and already present leaders. Besides that, the triggering of some events have been improved. This will be the last version of the 0.5.x series, unless some big bug is discovered. There is much to do for 0.6.0 :)

As always, bug reports and feedback are welcome. The Testing Guide is meant to help in creating OOS bug reports and any others. The full changelog of this version can be checked below:

Spoiler :
ExtraModMod 0.5.1

More Naval AI version: 2.62 plus additional bugfixes.
MapScriptTools version: 1.04

Features

• Updated French translation.

Changes

• In the tables of the info screen, only units and buildings that have been used at least once are shown.
  • Savegames now use turn number instead of the date in AD format.

Fixes

• The Hall of Fame screen will no longer show an exception when opened.
  • The AIAutoPlay popup for switching civilizations will not appear when all civilizations are eliminated when playing with require complete kills.
  • The barbarian AI will no longer crash when playing with require complete kills while all civilizations are already eliminated.
  • Prevented a crash with the Loki AI when require complete kills is activated.
  • Technology diffusion is no longer enabled along with technology propagation.
  • The Spanish string for immune to disease was wrong.
  • The Favored promotion is now kept after upgrades.
  • Opening Rituals information will no longer show an exception.
  • Random units will no longer have the property of being able to spread religion without failure.
  • Nightwatches cannot start with missionary anymore.
  • Do not show hidden options in the PitBoss server wizard.
  • Initialize game options for PitBoss server wizard correctly.
  • Prevent python exceptions when an OOS is triggered for a PitBoss server.
  • Show correct turn in PBEM emails.
  • Show message turn in event log instead of a date.
  • Graph time indicators now use turns.
  • Top 5 cities screen will now display the turn in which each city was founded.
  • The turn in which the city was founded is now displayed correctly in the city screen.

Events Enhanced changes

• Unfortunate assassin continuation event only triggers after at least 10 turns.
  • Subsequent Gaelan events trigger after a few turns.
  • Non-quest events no longer expire automatically after 2 turns.
  • Great People translated names cause no issues anymore.
  • Great People now are chosen based on race, civilization, religion and already present leaders.
  • "Friendly locals" event only triggers if the unit can gain promotions.

In the first post of this thread you can find the links for downloads, wiki, features, future plans and other useful information.

Top Bottom