Might also have something to do with sea resources (ouch). The previous screenshot doesn't show it but I'm fairly sure there were one or two more at the bottom, just barely in reach from the southernmost tile.

On a completely unrelated sidenote, slavery on Ljosalfar is awesome. Sorry Arendel, raiding-based economy is just that much glorious.

E: Just noticed that fear effects (at least the Timor Mask) cause workers to split, capturing only one of them. Handy if you have Bounty Hunter and Commando I guess?

Also for some weird reason you can upgrade units to paladins while in a good-aligned ally's territory. At least in the case of Basium (good) / Khazad (neutral). Possibly applies to Druids and Eidolons respectively.

Last edited:
I'm interested in trying this mod.

I have been playing MNAI for ages and have wondered how much different this is.

It seems to be the most active with development, but it doesn't seem to be very prominent on searches. I only am aware of it because of this thread in MNAI.

Also, is the current OP version updated regularly and considered stable? or should I just look for the latest beta version in this thread?

Thanks.

Randomsheep: I did not get any major bug reports about 0.6.0-beta1; it is quite stable except for some minor issues so you shouldn't have any problems with it. Also, 0.6.0-beta1 is updated with the latest More Naval AI changes while 0.5.2 is based on an old MNAI version.

Can someone give me a hand installing this?

Really haven't played anything but Magister's mod in years, plus I never was really wonky with the technical details on this game.

Where in god's name are my mods? Where is the base mod? Loading and Unloading mods to base Civ 4 I have tons of mods listed that don't seem to have a file directory of that name on my hard drive.

Plus I don't see a version number on my base FFH2. (That hasn't been changed since 2010 or even before though right?)

If anyone can give me a clue, I'd appreciate it. This seems pretty darn obtuse.

The AI seems to greatly value sun/creation/water nodes regardless of civ. The latter two make sense (although getting even more water as Falamar w/ Necronomicon still feels bizarre) but I almost never see the AI scorching or blinding...?

E: Also, the statistics tab's "built" column seems to ignore warrens, you end up with 20 current/lost ogres and 10 ogres built. Not that it's a huge deal.

E2: Sometimes upgrading adventurers has a negative cost, actually earning you gold. Sticking a great general to a warrior and upgrading it to an axeman should do the trick.

Last edited:
Overall, thank you for the great mod! One issue: In one of my games, events haven't been happening in my last session, even though they always happened before on this computer. I've attached the save to this post. On the tile with the sign "No Shrooms" a mushrooms event happened and no mushrooms spawned. Earlier a "lost control of nature node" event happened and nothing happened. Everything else seems to be working fine. The computer is a Lenovo running Windows 7 with very little free space on its disk

Attachments

• No Shrooms.CivBeyondSwordSave
    516.8 KB · Views: 233
Update: Some events seem to be working fine. In the attached save the "youngsters complaining about elder council" event happened in Dunwich (I think, its one of the far eastern formerly Lanun cities and I'm pretty sure its Dunwich). I chose "there's a reason its called an elder council" and when I checked the city the 15-turn unhappiness was there.

Attachments

• Admin TURN-0396 (Angry Yungsters).CivBeyondSwordSave
    536.9 KB · Views: 244
One of the most consistently buggy "events" I've seen is the Lizardmen vs. Dwarves lair exploration result, if the lair is inside your borders it seems to almost never spawn either faction (thankfully it's always both or neither) and sometimes it doesn't happen even in wilderness. The mushrooms discovered one works usually but I also had it fizzle once, on a jungle/hills tile.

Also, the one time I'm playing the "no fun allowed" religion (and civ). Gah.

E: Automated workers can build workshops on ice tiles (as Illians), the option doesn't appear for me. There's just fort, farm and cottage. Is there any particular reason they're disabled? It's not like you want to improve ice tiles anyway if you can avoid it since it takes forever.

E2: This event doesn't seem quite right either. Pic 1 Pic 2.

E3: Moire fizzling mushrooms. Kind of weird how they decrease :hammers: on unimproved tiles.

Last edited:
Idea: if you have a unit on the same tile as an item, it should have the option to bury that treasure, so it becomes a hidden treasure chest and others cannot pick it up. Aside from the awesome pirate theme to that, it has clear practical value. I recently got two chests spawning near the same place, sent one unit to retrieve them, got an item from both, and could only take back one because units are limited to carrying one item. I had to just leave the other, while re-burrying it would be awesome!

You can have as many items as you want as long as there aren't any duplicates (basically healing salve and scorched staff), I had Rosier carry Amazing Horsemen's entire arsenal once. 25-ish base strength sadly wasn't enough to save him from armageddon proper once the AC hit 100. Once I saw two Orthus' axes, no slightest idea what was up with that.

Some more weird stuff:

- You can get the Steward of Esus lair exploration result any number of times on the same unit.
- "Unit encounters a flare of chaos mana" event can target a dead unit
- Avatar of Wrath's entrance can enrage workers. I'm not sure if this actually does anything.
- AC spawning hellfires doesn't pop up the corresponding text most of the time, I've hit the threshold at least half a dozen times but only seen the text once.
- Orphaned goblin event often targets nearby units instead of the one doing the fighting
- Oprhaned goblin can turn any unit orcish, including undead and golems.
- Orphaned goblin can spawn the weakened goblin in a nearby city if it's ungarrisoned, instantly capturing it.
- While we're at it, this event can get really annoying when the weakened goblin spawns another weakened goblin which spawns yet another weakened goblin...
- Fighting against Luchuirp sometimes yields dwarven mud golems. Capturing settlers seems to do the trick.

Last edited:
The issue I encountered that made me think of re-burying items was two Jade Torchs obtained from two treasure chests

Thought: treatop defense should be castable in jungles. Its a pretty weak spell as it is, and thematically it makes sense that it would work in a jungle

^ It's rather odd that you can cast it on a forest tile and still benefit from the +withdrawal chance% in the middle of a desert. Honestly the whole forest requirement thing feels like a relic from the past where it used to insta-fortify stacks in forest tiles.

Also is there any reason to not simply cancel gold for resources deals once the 10 turns are up? As far as I can tell there's no diplomatic penalty. If so, the game should probably remind you once the deal can be canceled (if not flat out do so automatically). Manually setting up reminders for every single deal is iffy.

It's also kind of annoying how most AI civs will happily establish an embassy or open borders if you throw in a negligible amount of gold (5 or so), but rarely for free. Essentially this delays said agreements until you discover currency in a lot of cases. I'm not sure if open borders / free trade agreements actually improve trade routes, it certainly isn't listed when you mouse over them in cities and I can't see a difference at a glance either.

E: Usually killing the last defender in a city with a HN unit just causes the unit to stop, you can then move it in and proceed to yoink/kidnap/whatever, but in this case the city was just automatically razed once the last defender died, accompanied by a rather bizarre message (it was a Sheaim city)

E2: Also, would it hurt to allow HN units to capture items instead of destroying them?

Last edited:
This dragon really likes boats. Maybe he plays with them in bath?

Attachments

• workboats.png
    workboats.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 351
I see that this mod has random civilization/leader option totally reimplemented in dll and I have a few questions about that. Unrestricted leaders (lead_any_civ) game option is kind of bugged in BTS, e.g. if you add any new game option before it, everything will be bugged because selection of random civilizations/leaders is done in innaccessible part of the exe which assumes its place in the list of game options. One way to fix this is to reimplement that code in CvGame::init like it is done here. What I want to know is how can the BTS "Random" be hidden from list of possible civilizations/leaders, I see that in your mod only dummy Random civilization/leader are available and the BTS "Random" does not appear in the dropdown menu.

EDIT: Nevermind, I now see that these options are not hidden, sorry for the unnecessary post.
EDIT2: This still helped me to fix the bug. By debugging I discovered that CvGame::init is run before random leaders/civs are assigned in exe and they are only randomly assigned if they are equal to NO_CIVILIZATION/NO_LEADER, so doing the assignment in CvGame::init (like it is done in ffh2/emm) fixes the bug with unrestricted leaders option.

Last edited:
Is wilderness determined by the initial spawning locations? I always play with raging barbarians on so it's not unusual to hear that "crunch crunch crunch" sound at the start of every turn past a point, but this time I moved a half dozen tiles from my starting spot and was instantly beset by legions of barbarians - something like half a dozen before I had my second warrior out. Skeletons in particular usually came in 2s or 3s and even the rest of the lot (excluding lizardmen) were usually bunched up when they usually pop up alone or at most in pairs. These were also the perfectly ordinary kind, not the hordes of mutants and spectres the exploration-obsessed AI has a bad habit of annihilating itself with. The nearest AI was at least 20 tiles away, so while my isolation might've caused the barbarians to converge on me it doesn't explain the sheer ludicrous numbers.

Perpentach's insanity conviently gave me slaver almost right off the bat so once I managed to survive the initial onslaught I was actually pretty well off, being able to fight back with a couple of decently experienced warriors and all but even after raiding any nearby lairs, all but one of them goblin forts naturally, and 250 turns later (on epic) the stream of to-be slaves hasn't abated in the slightest. Naturally Orthus and Mokka both went straight for me, although the former is arguably a boon unless accompanied by a huge warband.

Turn 1 save. I settled about a half dozen tiles west, just above the gold blob.

This dragon really likes boats. Maybe he plays with them in bath?

Looks like someone didn't bother proofreading that scroll of Disciples to Dragons.

E: Prophecy of Ragnarok states it grants Prophecy Mark to the first living unit built in its city each turn, but it works just fine for Infernals. Dunno about Mercurians or golems.

Last edited:
Just had a game where the Infernals were never summoned (I razed the Ashen Veil holy city shortly after AV was founded), and I (evil Octopus Overlords worshiping Doviello) built the Mercurian Gate some time later. There's something really funny and strange about my new teammate Basium telling me about how Hell's reach grows stronger by the minute while the armageddon counter is very low, the Infernals have never been a thing, and I am the evil empire in control of most of the world.

Got me thinking: Is there anything preventing even stranger outcomes, like an Ashen Veil worshiper bringing Basium into the world?

Top Bottom