They ask for forts to be able to hurt opposing units.

Exactly. I know Forts provide a combat bonus depending on what type it is, however it there was a catapult effect as well I think it makes more sense. Already the AI isn't very smart about Fort efficiency, and it isn't hard enough IMO to overtake them. I think a Fort should have a turn limit before it turns neutral without any units occupying them.

I'm attaching two savegames. In the first one I just abandoned the fort after using it to heal my units. I did not keep any defenders. In the second one, four turns later, I'm already at the enemy capital and, with world builder, you can see two warriors moving to retake the fort. In the picture I attached, you can see those two warriors guarding the fort in a later turn. To load them you will need ExtraModMod v0.2.1.

Don't worry about the questions, I'm glad to be of help. I did not notice any other issues with forts.

Thanks those saves helped. I took a look last night and I think I figured out a problem (and it isn't my fault). Read about it in the spoiler if you want.

Spoiler :
Due to a bug, AI_guardFortMinDefender() can sometimes tell a high number of units to move to a fort and guard it. However, units in the fort think there should be 2 defenders max, so if there are more than 2 in the fort the extras will move out. Once the units are out of the fort a cycle starts because the AI again thinks it needs to send more defenders to the fort, but the units in the fort will continue thinking 2 should be the max. My original intent with AI_guardFortMinDefender() was to put just one defender in each fort because there is also an AI_guardFort() function to put more defenders in if needed. Someone else *cough*Tho*cough*lal changed it. I'll fix it and move some of it to AI_guardFort().

Sorry I have no plans to add a bombardment/catapult effect. It is beyond the scope of what I want to do in Super Forts.

Due to a bug, AI_guardFortMinDefender() can sometimes tell a high number of units to move to a fort and guard it. However, units in the fort think there should be 2 defenders max, so if there are more than 2 in the fort the extras will move out. Once the units are out of the fort a cycle starts because the AI again thinks it needs to send more defenders to the fort, but the units in the fort will continue thinking 2 should be the max. My original intent with AI_guardFortMinDefender() was to put just one defender in each fort because there is also an AI_guardFort() function to put more defenders in if needed. Someone else *cough*Tho*cough*lal changed it. I'll fix it and move some of it to AI_guardFort().

Thanks for tracking down this issue. Didn't realize that I was mis-using AI_guardFortMinDefender() :blush: I guess the name should have warned me! Look forward to seeing your fix!

Thanks for tracking down this issue. Didn't realize that I was mis-using AI_guardFortMinDefender() :blush: I guess the name should have warned me! Look forward to seeing your fix!

No problem. ;) I think what you did in the code was good - using more defenders if there is danger. The main problem is the iNeededDefense variable that determines the # of defenders is never reset in the loop that uses it, so it keeps incrementing for each fort that is in danger. If the AI has a lot of forts in danger then they will be sending a lot of defenders to whichever forts they loop through last. I'll move it over to AI_guardFort(), and fix the bug.

This is a very nice mod. Good AI combined with stability and balancing in MP.
The only thing I miss is Erebus Continent map type.

This is a very nice mod. Good AI combined with stability and balancing in MP.
The only thing I miss is Erebus Continent map type.

Thank you for the kind words :)

I have made a note to check that mapscript for inclusion in the next version. I don't have much time lately for developing, though.

I'm in the middle of an update to More Naval AI 2.5 and Events Enhanced 1.6, and I am getting the message shown in the screenshot after creating the first game since launching ExtraModMod. Since that file has not been modified, I have no clue of what can be causing the error. Anyone has any idea about what might be causing it?

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 206
Great that development is going on again :)
Events Enhanced 1.6 adds a BUG python mod; so it's possible that it causes the error (BUG does some odd exception catches that really mess up error messages). Does the message show up without it? Or maybe you forget to merge it's config file, or messed up Config/init.xml?
PythonDbg.log should contain more precise error messages, IIRC.

Great that development is going on again :)
Events Enhanced 1.6 adds a BUG python mod; so it's possible that it causes the error (BUG does some odd exception catches that really mess up error messages). Does the message show up without it? Or maybe you forget to merge it's config file, or messed up Config/init.xml?
PythonDbg.log should contain more precise error messages, IIRC.

I'm afraid that it is going to be just an update to take advantage of your work and Tholal's work; I don't have much time lately.

This is the relevant part of pythondbg.log:

Code:
23:27:51 TRACE: BugConfig - failure parsing C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\Config\EventSigns.xml at line 21
23:27:51 TRACE: invalid syntax (CvRandomEventInterface, line 3609)
23:27:51 DEBUG: BugUtil - looking up EventSigns.EventSignsEventHandler
23:27:51 TRACE: BugConfig - failure parsing C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\Config\EventSigns.xml at line 26
23:27:51 TRACE: Module 'EventSigns' must define function or class 'EventSignsEventHandler'
23:27:51 TRACE: BugConfig - failure parsing C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\Config\EventSigns.xml at line 28
23:27:51 TRACE: Module 'EventSigns' must define function or class 'applyLandmarkFromEvent'
23:27:51 TRACE: BugConfig - failure parsing C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2\Assets\Config\EventSigns.xml at line 29
23:27:51 TRACE: Module 'EventSigns' must define function or class 'applySaltpeter'

It seems that my error was a messed up merge in one of the event conditions in CvRandomEventInterface, and it is now fixed. I don't understand why it caused a BUG warning in a completely unrelated file, though.

Thank you for your help :)

[to_xp]Gekko;12562316 said:
I've tried adding the python for linear planar gate spawn chance to 2.5, and somehow the game doesn't start anymore :confused:

That is very strange. In my experience python errors only make the GUI dissapear or things like that, but never somethig that drastic. Is the python log giving any clues?

where's the python log stored?

edit: well, I've tried it again and it works now. must have been just an indentation mistake on my part :D

Hey Terkhen, I love your modmod. Any idea when the next version (with 2.5 integration) will be out?

Thank you for your kind words :) 0.3.0 has been in the works for a while already, but I lacked the time for actually making a proper release.

0.3.0 is now available. It is a new release based on More Naval AI 2.5. It includes all changes in MNAI 2.5 and in lfgr's Events Enhanced 1.6 along with Seven05's Erebus Continent mapscript. Enjoy, and please report any issues :)

Hmm, thought I forgot my PW to this account ages ago..
Anyway, longtime lurker back again just wanting to express my tys for u guys to keep this mod alive & I esp. waited for Events Enhanced to be updated, adds so much more immersion !
Keep up the good work !

Top Bottom