[BTS] Extreme slow down on latest Windows 10 update

The_K

Chieftain
I have been playing BTS on Windows 10 ever since I upgraded from Windows 7. Everything worked the same, I have the latest patch and no problems.

A few days ago Windows 10 made the Creators Update or whatever was that last big one. Since then BTS has become unplayable. Game starts fine but after a few turns it slows down horribly. Entering and exiting a city takes forever, everything is so slow and even wonder movies are choppy. It is far worse then when I played on an old machine on Windows XP when the game first came out! I can save, quit and run the game again and have a turn or two of normal gameplay before the slow down again. I need to point out this is a brand new game, so this has nothing to do with being a long way into the game or anything (I even intentionally made a small map).

Details:
  • I am playing on a laptop. It is powerful enough to run the game (has been doing it for years).
  • The game is using the dedicated graphics card, I checked
  • I can't update any drivers since they aren't supported on Windows 10 but, again, the game ran fine before this last update
  • I tried all combinations of compatibility options I could think of
  • I even tried game mode (disappointing, only option really is that this is a game)
Perhaps there is some way to turn off some resource hogging options of this latest update? Or the new Windows Defender? I am sure there are others still playing so please help me, this is basically the only game that I play.

I've been having the same problem with a slower game after an apparent windows update. How did you check that the game is using a dedicated graphics card? I'm currently looking at my processor [AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 8-Core 3.6 GHz Socket AM3+] and on my computer it's only showing it using 4 core and not the full 8, so I'm going to be looking into that myself. If I can figure that out, I'll be sure to reply to this post with the update.

I used GPU-Z (google it) and ran it in the background. It will show you graphics card usage so I can clearly see that once the game starts it starts using the dedicated card, but when I go to windows it switches to the integrated one. So, everything works in that department.

As for your processor, even 4 cores should be more than enough for full speed in the game so I doubt that's what it is.

I still believe it has something to do with the new defender/antivirus/scanner which came with the latest Windows update and I simply can't find a way to turn it off. I believe this because the game runs fine for a minute or so and then slows down...quiting and loading makes it again run fine for a minute...

Top Bottom