Farewell Poopsmith

Not going to answer my question then? That's not a 'non-question'.

Not really, come on tell us Dommy.

I'm quite serious. What, at the risk of sounding ridiculous, makes god so special?
Tough one. I'm going to go with being able to commit genocide, kill billions of innocents, and then get people to call you the good guy. God must have a killer PR team.

Its a non-question.
So you can't answer it?

Gotta admit , unless I'm really missing some nuance in regards to what prompted the question , it seems obvious that if God exists and functions as he is traditionally credited , then he's pretty special???
Then it should not be at all difficult for GhostWriter to explain to me precisely why his creations are uniquely deserving of veneration, because I am afraid that it is not particularly obvious to me.

So you can't answer it?

Then it should not be at all difficult for GhostWriter to explain to me precisely why his creations are uniquely deserving of veneration, because I am afraid that it is not particularly obvious to me.

I don't buy it . If the basic premise is that traditional Christian God exists and thus created heaven and earth , animals , people etc , sent son to die for sins , cares about every individual , offers chance for eternal life at his side etc that you see no deservedness of veneration ?

That's a very big 'if', RLF, especially as many people seem to be under the impression that God abjectly does not care about every individual.

I don't buy it . If the basic premise is that traditional Christian God exists and thus created heaven and earth , animals , people etc , sent son to die for sins , cares about every individual , offers chance for eternal life at his side etc that you see no deservedness of veneration ?
When looking at the sum of his creations, sure, but not in any given instance of creation. Why is it immoral to use your genitals other than their creator intended, but not to use, I don't know, Coca Cola to clean old coins?

That's a very big 'if', RLF, especially as many people seem to be under the impression that God abjectly does not care about every individual.

Fair enough . I'll rephrase to if God exists in the most idealized form that chrsitians choose to believe . I'm just saying that I've seen some mangled semantics and hypotheticals here , but this one just seems , well , awkwardly obvious .

Let's just say I think you'd have a much harder time arguing that CG exists , functions as hoped for and is still run of the mill .

EDIT.....@TF......I knew there was some nuance in the motivation for the question that I must have missed . And since I can't answer the misuse of genitals/coca cola coin cleaning connundrum , I'm out.

Given how poorly designed the creation is, I don't think a creator would deserve that much credit. I don't see why any deity would want or need veneration anyway. Wouldn't a proper god (read: father) actually prefer if its creations stopped caring about what it thought of them and learned to be entirely self-sufficient?

Given how poorly designed the creation is, I don't think a creator would deserve that much credit. I don't see why any deity would want or need veneration anyway. Wouldn't a proper god (read: father) actually prefer if its creations stopped caring about what it thought of them and learned to be entirely self-sufficient?

No, not at all really. A father might desire self-sufficiency in his children, but I doubt many would actual prefer that his children stopped caring about him. Given that Christianity offers no worldly promises of wealth or security other than happiness and love from being good for goodness sake, one could rather easily argue that God is indeed allowing for self determination and sufficiency.

I'm sorry you find existence to be "poorly designed." I am certain you could do a much better job, or that the world would be a much better place were you a dictator or god or whatever the hell you want to be! The sheer arrogance of it man! :lol:

No, not at all really. A father might desire self-sufficiency in his children, but I doubt many would actual prefer that his children stopped caring about him. Given that Christianity offers no worldly promises of wealth or security other than happiness and love from being good for goodness sake, one could rather easily argue that God is indeed allowing for self determination and sufficiency.

I'm sorry you find existence to be "poorly designed." I am certain you could do a much better job, or that the world would be a much better place were you a dictator or god or whatever the hell you want to be! The sheer arrogance of it man!

No, I'm saying that there's no excuse for an omnipotent god doing such a crappy job. If the imperfection was the intention, then god is cruel and capricious. If not, then merely incompetent. Take your pick.

I'm sorry you find existence to be "poorly designed." I am certain you could do a much better job, or that the world would be a much better place were you a dictator or god or whatever the hell you want to be! The sheer arrogance of it man! :lol:
If I had been omni-everything, I would have done a way better job.

I am pleased we have such experts in our midst. :)

If the imperfection was the intention, then god is cruel and capricious. If not, then merely incompetent. Take your pick.

I'm also amused by the false dichotomy. It's fun to see at what points people start to resemble that which they rail against.

The posture of dismissive aloofness is cute and all, but the very fact that you're bothering makes it kinda obvious how thin-skinned you actually are on the topic. If you really didn't care, you'd just roll your eyes and move on, and if you were really able to refute them, you actually, y'know, refute them.

Eh. Rolling eyes for 9 pages wasn't enough? Dommy's points have gaping holes in them which there is no shortage of people pointing out. There's crap on both sides though and those taking aim at our resident biblical literal-ist seem to have little interest in calling each other out on them.

Ok, so the world is crap. I'm sorry some people feel that way. What parts of it specifically? Do people hate sedimentary rocks, the wind, the fact that we are mortal? I'm not trying to be aloof I'm actually rather at a loss at where to start picking. "Your faith is crap because my existence doesn't live up to my expectations" sounds about on par with "Tide comes in and out, you can't explain that!"

"Your faith is crap because my existence doesn't live up to my expectations" sounds about on par with "Tide comes in and out, you can't explain that!"

is not at all the same as

If the imperfection was the intention, then god is cruel and capricious. If not, then merely incompetent. Take your pick.

Why?

Because we CAN explain the tides. Those of us who find the existence of gods to be highly dubious are waiting for someone who does believe in them to explain why there's no evidence of them, other than this far-from perfect / capricious universe we find ourselves in.

I am aware we can explain the tides. That's rather the point of the comparison - just like you know the tides can be explained you also already know that it is entirely futile to wait for somebody of faith to provide you with evidence you would deem acceptable.

Cruel, capricious, and incompetent are all value judgments.

Top Bottom