Favorite book?

"no exit" by satre, "red storm rising" by tom clancy, and "chickenhawk" by robert mason

the master and margarita - bulgakov
to have and have not - hemingway
naked lunch - burroughs
youth - conrad (it´s just a short novel but i love it)
answered prayers - capote
de kroongetuige - hart (don´t know the english title)

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
My fav would be The Wheel of Time Saga.

Wow we play the same games and now we have read the same books...Do you know when the tenth book will be released?

My favorite book would have to be a series, not one book: The Childe Cycle by Gordon Dickson. (Including Dorsai!, Necromancer. Tactics of Mistake, Soldier, Ask Not, and several others.

A very close second is Lord of the Rings, by Tolkien.

But then there's also stuff by Heinlein, Asimov, McCaffrey, Conan Doyle, R.L. Stevenson, etc.

There's a lot of good stuff out there! Just READ! :D

George RR Martin's Fire and Ice series
James Clavell's Asian Saga
Tolkien's LOTR
anything by Hemingway
Conrad's Heart of Darkness

Originally posted by ainwood
Stephen Donaldson's Gap Series, and his Thomas Covenant series.

Wilbur Smith's River God (and sequels).

Heinlein's Starship Troopers (10000000000x better than the sucky movie) - re-reading it at the moment. :)

Should have called the movie Starcraft the movie. , but besides the bug war it had nothing to do with Starship Troopers. What peeves me is that if you say the book is good, you have to explain the damn movie.

Any one ever read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? My personal favorite. Dune and LOTR also are among my favorite.

Originally posted by Locke
Any one ever read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card? My personal favorite. Dune and LOTR also are among my favorite.

Is that the one where ENDER is a kid.
If it is it is excellent, i won't say anymore
i don't want to ruin it for anyone.

"The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea," by Yukio Mishima, is one of my current favourites.

I guess the novel I've read most times over is "Crime and Punishment"--but it has lost some of its pull for me since the end of my nihilistic high school days. :rolleyes: Besides, I always thought the ending was a bit of a cop out. :crazyeye:

The first two instalments of Orson Scott Card's Ender series are excellent. As is anything by John Fowles.

OK, I'll stop here before I get unstoppably ecclectic.

Originally posted by Ozz

What peeves me is that if you say the book is good, you have to explain the damn movie.

another great book along those lines is "the postman" - really an excellent book - when i heard the movie was coming out i couldn't wait - of course the movie was HORRIBLE - but the book really is quite good - i highly recomend it to everyone

Originally posted by andyo
another great book along those lines is "the postman" - really an excellent book - when i heard the movie was coming out i couldn't wait - of course the movie was HORRIBLE - but the book really is quite good - i highly recomend it to everyone
Really? I didn't even know there was a book; I just thought it was a crappy movie. Who wrote it? I may have to look into it.

Today, I just finished The Autobiography of Joseph Stalin. Very good. It's fascinating to read all of the paranoia he had over Leon Trotsky.

He was so afraid of assassination that he even had actors to double up as him in public, while he'd travel in bunkers and behind secret doors, etc.

Very interesting.

Isaac Asimov: All the Foundation book

Douglas Adams: Hitch Hiker'S guide to the galaxie ( they suppose to make a movie about that, i feel really sad that he died so young, he have wrote a lot of other good book)

Boris Vian : L'automne a Pékin

Tolkien: well the trilogy and hobbit tale.

Originally posted by santo67
Really? I didn't even know there was a book; I just thought it was a crappy movie. Who wrote it? I may have to look into it.

it is by david brin - i highly recomend it - check it out

Dubliners by James Joyce, and particularly the last story (essentially a novella) "the Dead" - it blows me away upon every re-reading. I am getting goose-bumps now just thinking about it.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
Today, I just finished The Autobiography of Joseph Stalin. Very good. It's fascinating to read all of the paranoia he had over Leon Trotsky.

He was so afraid of assassination that he even had actors to double up as him in public, while he'd travel in bunkers and behind secret doors, etc.

Very interesting.

Wasn't Trotsky killed by Stalin with an Ice Pick in Mexico City?

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading Band Of Brothers. Really hit on the human part of war. I am currently reading Twelfth Night in English. It's by Shakespeare. It really isn't that bad at all, quite funny actually. Behind Band of Brothers is To Kill A Mockingbird. I just loved that book for some reason or another. By the way, part of the quote in my signature is in the dedication / introduction to Band of Brothers.

Originally posted by baseballtwin86

Wasn't Trotsky killed by Stalin with an Ice Pick in Mexico City?

Not Stalin himself did it, of course. But yes, one of his agents in Mexico City killed him in 1940.

Top Bottom