Favorite book?

Originally posted by MrPresident

Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov

Best sci-fic books ever written. Should be made into a movie but it would probably turn out really rubbish. [/B]

It BEAT LOTR as BEST SERIES EVER for the Hugo Award

Chalk up another 1984 vote. I love that book. I honestly find it realy intersting and a good glimpse into human nature. Also its not that hard of a read, well maybe cuz i like history and i just had a 20th century history class end when i started it :)

Will always love:

The Discworld series

LOTR

Favourites right now:

Eureka Street - Robert McLiam Wilson

The Godfather - Mario Puzo

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Used to love them, haven't read for ages:

The Sherlock Holmes books

1001 Nights (or Arabian Nights or wathever you call it)

Most hated of all time (the one I'm reading right now, not by choice):

Engelsk universitets grammatik (English grammar, university level)

The entire Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. I'm sure at lest some of the people here have heard of these.

Another book that I recently reread, having read it first in middle school, is Watership Down. Anybody read this one? It's about rabbits that form their own society and battle dogs, cats, foxes, and other rabbits. Really funny and interesting!

allthough 1984 is a close second,
my vote has to go to

L.F. CELINE - Journey to the end of night!!

worst:

KAFKA -
(damn*d, can't remember the title :D )

others

huxley, elton, sharpe, grisham, the Red Dwarf series, .........
many, many others!!!

A few of my favourites:

Saigon - Anthoney Grey
Sphere - Micheal Crichton
Jurassic Park - Micheal Crichton
Visitors - Caroline MacDonald
Elephant Rock - Caroline MacDonald
Strangers - Dean R. Koontz
It - Steven King
Over the Mountain - Maurice Gee

Last Night
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Darkness At Noon
The Gladiators by Arhtur Koestler

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

The Wars by Timothy Findley

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

I'd like to buy a vowel by John Welter

Plus I like books by Frederick Forsythe (sp?), books about Jean- Paul Sartre and read almost every Hardy Boys book when I was a kid.

My favourites are:

- La chute (The Fall), by Albert Camus
- Ficciones (Fictions), by Jorge Luis Borges
- Objecto Quase (Quasi Objects), by José Saramago
- and everything I have ever read and will read of Fernando Pessoa

If I had to recommend one single book that would interest, titilate and enlighten the reader for quite a while, I would toss a coin between The Liar and The Stars' Tennis Balls, but probably recommend the latter to a mainstream audience, as it has an ideal mix of intelligence, revenge, suspense, humour, detail and fascinating style, without the basic, shocking to some, auto-biographical candour of the former, particular features of which are not in the pale for many.

Originally posted by Whiskey Priest
Last Night
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

great books indeed!

btw, doesn't kurt quote celine in slaugterhouse 5 at the beginning of the book? Been awile since i laid down this one:)

The Dune books by Frank Herbert are probably my favorite science fiction--particularly Dune and Children of Dune, but Dune Messiah was also very good and God Emperor of Dune was interesting philosophically. Herbert weaves a good story, but he also has (well had--he's no longer with us :( ) what I think is incredible insight into human nature. The Dosadi Experiment and the Pandora trilogy (The Jesus Incident, The Lazarus Effect, and The Ascension Factor )--all unrelated to the Dune series, were also good reads.

Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land was also one of my favorite classics.

As for non sci-fi, some good ones include:

Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead --Ayn Rand
Brave New World and The Island --Aldous Huxley
1984 --George Orwell
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance --Robert Pirsig
One Flew Over the ****oo's Nest --Ken Kesey
Novels by James Clavell and James Michener are also good reads

Originally posted by Lord_Vetinari
Favourites right now:

The Godfather - Mario Puzo

American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Puzo is great. Try to read The Sicilian as well if you haven't.

American Psycho was a fascinating read, much better than the movie. Aside from the murdering aspect, it's scary how relevant the book is to today's investment banking culture in NY....

I've just completed The Non-Alignment Movement is a Mighty Anti-Imperialist Revolutionary Force of Our Times by Kim Il Sung.

Very good book about the Social state of North Korea, and the plans and goals of that time. Very interesting to hear the "other" side of the Cold War.

Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Those are easily at the top of the list, but 1984 and the LOTR and Dune series-es ( plural anyone:confused: ) are all excellent as well.

There are just too many great books out there to list though...

I forgot to mention that 10-book sci-fi series (yes TEN books!), mainly because i forgot each books name, they were written by L. Ron Hubbard, with a couple of titles coming up from memory:

Invasion Earth

okay, one title... has anyone else read these books? I thought they were awesome.

well let me see...

1984 - george orwell
brave new world - aldous huxley
farenheit 451 - richard bradbury
LOTR & the hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien
Most Books by Ken Follet
the dune series - frank herbert
Im Westen nichts neues - Something Lemaire

oh and i almous forgot: the grapes of wrath - John Steinbeck

that's about it

Hmmm... I usually don't have the patience to go through entire novels, but I love short stories. My favorite authors are Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft.

But as for novels, here are some that I enjoyed (and actually got ALL the way through!)

The Xanth Series by Piers Anthony
The Great Gatsby
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Redwall Series by Brian Jacques

Top Bottom