• marathon

Votes: 72 30.5%
  • I dont have civ4 :(

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Swiss Bezerker

Emperor
whats your favorite game speed?
I like marathon. Nice and relaxing and focuses allot more on movement , which balences the game.
poll coming

edit: the poll is for single player, but feel free to post what u like in multiplayer

Swiss Bezerker said:
whats your favorite game speed?
I like marathon. Nice and relaxing and focuses allot more on movement , which balences the game.
poll coming

Only on my first marathon game... I had to get used to the pace in the beginning, but now I kind of like it :)

You definitely don't get the feeling that the tech tree is just flying by - quite the opposite, actually, which is great!

I like Quick. Normal can be okay, if you planing to win in the early ages. But I simly dont got patiens for Epic, havent even finished one game on Epic this far alway getting bored before I reach the industial age. Havent even tryed marathon if its slower than epic i wont ever reach the medival age

Normal-the most balanced one.

Marathon for single player games. Takes longer to play out but feels much more realistic. Quick for multiplay so we can bring the matter to a timely conclusion. Though with quick it feels rushed and many of the units you don't take full advantage of them. Most multiplay games are clobberfests anyway.

What does gamespeed affect? I played a quick game on prince, and I had aquired war elephants with 50 turns left, which was ridiculous

Abdomination said:
What does gamespeed affect? I played a quick game on prince, and I had aquired war elephants with 50 turns left, which was ridiculous

does that meen u got construction with 50 turns left or u got ivory with 50 turns left?
If the earlier, perhaps u are expanding to fast and forced into low science funding dew to maintenance

With marathon, do you get to use older units longer or does it just draw out the game? I mean, it takes forever to build the stuff, so you are increasing the time of everything no? What I want is normal build times and slower tech. I don't even get to use musketmen and riflemen are gone in a few turns for infantry...

Lasitus said:
With marathon, do you get to use older units longer or does it just draw out the game? I mean, it takes forever to build the stuff, so you are increasing the time of everything no? What I want is normal build times and slower tech. I don't even get to use musketmen and riflemen are gone in a few turns for infantry...

No, you really don't get longer. I'm wrapping up my first marathon game, after playing every other game on normal. Sure, you get more turns with units, but it also takes far longer to build units. The only way you actually get more time is if you have the gold on hand to immediately upgrade to the latest and greatest type. Other than that, marathon is just a way of making the game last longer.

Normal. Seems the most optimized and balanced. Probably because the game was designed around it. Epic and marathon speeds need slow techs but quick building.

I prefer 'Quick', my past couple of games averaged about 6 hours each. This way I don't blow my whole weekend, which I inevitably do on 'Normal' since I am incapable of walking away from a game in progress.

well the problem with the other speeds (by default) is they adjust everything... so yes we can make the games longer but you end up doing the same stuff as in a normal game it just takes longer.

They slow down techs, unit construction, maintainence, everything at the same rate.

Thats why i modifyed epic in my game.

anything longer than quick is just a waste of time... everything is adjusted so the game plays fine - normal or longer just means more hours and less games.

Top Bottom