Favourite darwin award?

farting bob

ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.
Just looking through the darwin awards, And i just lvoe this honourable mention.
Serbian Tsunami [size=-1]
2004 Honorable Mention
Unconfirmed by Darwin [/size]

26 December 2004, Nis, Serbia Danilo Petrovic, 36, is the only known Serbian victim of the giant tsunami that devastated countries around the Indian Ocean. And he was at home in Serbia at the time. He blames television for the tragedy.

He was so shocked when he saw the tsunami footage on TV that he jumped out his apartment window. As he fell from the second floor, it occurred to him that the tsunami was not actually a threat to South Serbia, which is separated by an entire continent from the Indian Ocean. But it was too late to avoid impact: he suffered two broken legs and a damaged spine.

Recovering later from his tsunami injuries, he threatened to sue the local television station, TV 5, for saying that “the tsunami is coming our way,” and that people should “immediately evacuate.” A spokesman for TV 5 said Danilo must have misunderstood the reporter's words.
i knew the Tsunami was devestating, but to very nearly kill a man from this distance is impressive.
However, the mans ability to spread the knowledge of his idiotness by suing the TV company is also something to be highlighted.
Also note that Nis, where the man was at the time, is not only nowhere near the disaster area, it is not even on the coast.

So, what other darwin awards (for those that have visited the site) do people like?

"the tsunami is coming our way" :lol: He doesn't even live near the sea :lol:

I haven't visited the site, but from the occasional emails that blast around, one is my favorite: the one where the Chevy owner in Nevada, determined to make his old car go as fast as possible, acquires and welds to the car four JATO (Jet-Assisted TakeOff) units which are essentially rocket modules ordinarily used to make military cargo aircraft able to take off from shorter runways. Forensic investigators determined that the car was actually going very fast on the ground for the first half-mile or so (brake skids visible through most of that) before leaving the ground and plowing into a hill a couple miles further along in the direction indicated by the skid marks.

On the plus side, he did accomplish what he set out to do, but the lesson here would be "be careful what you ask for, as you may get it." :lol:

That JATO story is named as an urban legend in one of the Darwin Awards books.

i dont know, ive met a few ppl when I lived in Texas that wouold try it.

here is my favourite so far:

Lawn Chair Larry

(1982, California) Larry Walters of Los Angeles is one of the few to contend for the Darwin Awards and live to tell the tale. "I have fulfilled my 20-year dream," said Walters, a former truck driver for a company that makes TV commercials. "I'm staying on the ground. I've proved the thing works."

Larry's boyhood dream was to fly. But fates conspired to keep him from his dream. He joined the Air Force, but his poor eyesight disqualified him from the job of pilot. After he was discharged from the military, he sat in his backyard watching jets fly overhead.

He hatched his weather balloon scheme while sitting outside in his "extremely comfortable" Sears lawnchair. He purchased 45 weather balloons from an Army-Navy surplus store, tied them to his tethered lawnchair dubbed the Inspiration I, and filled the 4' diameter balloons with helium. Then he strapped himself into his lawnchair with some sandwiches, Miller Lite, and a pellet gun. He figured he would pop a few of the many balloons when it was time to descend.

Larry's plan was to sever the anchor and lazily float up to a height of about 30 feet above his back yard, where he would enjoy a few hours of flight before coming back down. But things didn't work out quite as Larry planned.

When his friends cut the cord anchoring the lawnchair to his Jeep, he did not float lazily up to 30 feet. Instead, he streaked into the LA sky as if shot from a cannon, pulled by the lift of 42 helium balloons holding 33 cubic feet of helium each. He didn't level off at 100 feet, nor did he level off at 1000 feet. After climbing and climbing, he leveled off at 16,000 feet.

At that height he felt he couldn't risk shooting any of the balloons, lest he unbalance the load and really find himself in trouble. So he stayed there, drifting cold and frightened with his beer and sandwiches, for more than 14 hours. He crossed the primary approach corridor of LAX, where Trans World Airlines and Delta Airlines pilots radioed in reports of the strange sight.

Eventually he gathered the nerve to shoot a few balloons, and slowly descended. The hanging tethers tangled and caught in a power line, blacking out a Long Beach neighborhood for 20 minutes. Larry climbed to safety, where he was arrested by waiting members of the LAPD. As he was led away in handcuffs, a reporter dispatched to cover the daring rescue asked him why he had done it. Larry replied nonchalantly, "A man can't just sit around."

The Federal Aviation Administration was not amused. Safety Inspector Neal Savoy said, "We know he broke some part of the Federal Aviation Act, and as soon as we decide which part it is, a charge will be filed."

The quote from the FAA in the last paragraph is priceless... :lol:

Regards :).

Attachments

• glurp.jpg
    glurp.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 228
:lol: @ Lawn Chair Larry

Seriously though, I think it's kind of f-ed up to laugh at the deaths of others, however stupid they might be.

I mean, consider if it were your famiy member or yoursef you'd done a dumb thing and gotten killed. You wouldn't want the whole world laughing at you right?

I see the Darwin Awards as the highbrow version of Faces of Death.

Narz said:
:lol: @ Lawn Chair Larry

Seriously though, I think it's kind of f-ed up to laugh at the deaths of others, however stupid they might be.

I mean, consider if it were your famiy member or yoursef you'd done a dumb thing and gotten killed. You wouldn't want the whole world laughing at you right?

I see the Darwin Awards as the highbrow version of Faces of Death.
My serbian didnt die, just looked stupid.:goodjob:

Yes, to get a darwin award you have to either die stupidly or make yourself impotent to stop the stupid gene being passed on. But they have honourable mentions which are people not quite dying, but still being stupid.

pretty sick

I like the one about the lawyer that, after his office had moved to a new building, was demonstrating how strong the glass was by running and jumping into it. People were getting scared and asking him to stop.

Well, you can guess what happened. I actually can't speak as to the validity of the story...just an email I got some years ago.

Or the guys that were ice fishing and were going to create a hole by throwing a stick of dynamite...only problem was their dog liked to fetch. Don't think anyone died in this one, but....

Yes these are kind of sick awards but many of them are quite funny all the same. Some are less funny but still great examples of human stupidity.

Like I remember one from a year or so back. I don't remember which guy said what but it doesn't really matter. This story was told by the survivor when questioned by police.

A couple of thugs were smoking in an alley or whatever and one pulled out his gun. Genius that he was, he looked up saw the cigarettes they were smoking and said "I wonder what it would feel like to be shot with a cigarette butt?". He gave the other guy his gun and loaded it with a cigarette butt. Needless to say, it wouldn't fire. He got a brainstorm around then and said "perhaps we should put a bullet behind it to make sure it fires..."

Another classic. Again this is told from memory from a long time ago but you still get the idea.

An electrician was killed when a ladder he was on touched something it shouldn't have(don't remember what). An investigative team was sent in to see what went wrong. When moving the ladder close to whatever killed the electrician, a guy commented "shouldn't we turn off the power or wear some kind of safeguards against being electrocuted ourselves?". Answer was "No! It has to be exactly the same situation or the investigation won't be accurate".

It was exactly the same alright. Complete with another dead electrician.

I read quite a few (but not all) and I think the one Fred posted was the best.
VoodooAce said:
I like the one about the lawyer that, after his office had moved to a new building, was demonstrating how strong the glass was by running and jumping into it. People were getting scared and asking him to stop.

Well, you can guess what happened.
He forgot to shut it first? That's happened to me before, only the other way around.

I remeber this one. A guy was filling his lawnmower with gasoline. He wasn't sure if the tank was full or not (don't ask me for the details, I can't remember) so he lit a match and peered in. The end.

blindside said:
I remeber this one. A guy was filling his lawnmower with gasoline. He wasn't sure if the tank was full or not (don't ask me for the details, I can't remember) so he lit a match and peered in. The end.
That's a good one.

Incidentally, this thread got me posting on their forum again. It was almost a year since last time.

I believe Larry later killed himself.

One of my favourites is the builder who was working on a scaffold.
He didn't want to carry all his tools down one at a time,s o he rigged up a wooden barrel, on a pulley. He pinned to rope to the ground, and filled the barrel up with tools.
He then went down, and untied the rope.
He didn't realise the barrel was heavier than him.
The barrel started falling, at the same time pulling him up. He hit the barrel on the way up, fracturing some vertibrae. His fingers then got stuck in the pulley, lascerating them. At about the same time, the barrel struck the ground, knocking the floor out of it.
The barrel, now lighter than the builder, started to rise, and the man fell, struck the barrel on the way down, fractured his ankles, and landed back first on the tools at the bottom.
Lying in shock, he then let go of the rope, and the barrel fell again, landing on this fellow's head.

nonconformist said:
I believe Larry later killed himself.

One of my favourites is the builder who was working on a scaffold.
He didn't want to carry all his tools down one at a time,s o he rigged up a wooden barrel, on a pulley. He pinned to rope to the ground, and filled the barrel up with tools.
He then went down, and untied the rope.
He didn't realise the barrel was heavier than him.
The barrel started falling, at the same time pulling him up. He hit the barrel on the way up, fracturing some vertibrae. His fingers then got stuck in the pulley, lascerating them. At about the same time, the barrel struck the ground, knocking the floor out of it.
The barrel, now lighter than the builder, started to rise, and the man fell, struck the barrel on the way down, fractured his ankles, and landed back first on the tools at the bottom.
Lying in shock, he then let go of the rope, and the barrel fell again, landing on this fellow's head.

:rotfl:

Poor guy.

*sniggers*

nonconformist said:
One of my favourites is the builder who was working on a scaffold...
...Lying in shock, he then let go of the rope, and the barrel fell again, landing on this fellow's head.
:nospam:

:rotfl:

Priceless.
:goodjob:

Top Bottom