Featurette 1 Analysis and Discussion thread.

I found a still for the yield of Trading Posts. It would seem that Trading Posts now give +3 gold and -1 food when built, since the tile is yielding 3 gold, 1 food, 1 production. (at least on Plains tiles, since it's basic yield is 2 food and 1 production).

Nice spot! Plains give 1 food/1 production normally, so there's no food penalty. There is one trade route going through it and it's next to a river - perhaps it's one base gold with each of these adding +1 gold?

Nice spot! Plains give 1 food/1 production normally, so there's no food penalty. There is one trade route going through it and it's next to a river - perhaps it's one base gold with each of these adding +1 gold?

But, if you look a few frames later, a regular plains river tile has 2 food and this trading post is on a river also. So, since it's on a river the yield is up one. I agree that a regular plains non-river has a 1 food yield...so that may mean you forfeit food on a plains non-river tile by building a trading post.

And the trading post along the trade routes is most likely the case which is pretty dang cool! So, we will have to be very strategic on where we place trading posts to maximize gold yields!! Imagine finding a spot where like 10 routes intersect that go through your territory.

But, if you look a few frames later, a regular plains river tile has 2 food and this trading post is on a river also. So, since it's on a river the yield is up one. I agree that a regular plains non-river has a 1 food yield...so that may mean you forfeit food on a plains non-river tile by building a trading post.

And the trading post along the trade routes is most likely the case which is pretty dang cool! So, we will have to be very strategic on where we place trading posts to maximize gold yields!! Imagine finding a spot where like 10 routes intersect that go through your territory.

I was just looking at that frame myself!:lol: The second one is on a grassland tile (which is base 2 food/0 production) with a yeild of 2 food/3 gold, so there's nothing going on with food here, it's all totally normal. The grassland TP has two trade routes and is riverside also, so that debunks my theory. I wouldn't be surprised if TPs are linked to trade routes in some way though.

As far as the gold yield goes, we don't what if any policies and techs may be in place in the game the screenshot is in - could have finished commerce and probably has economics which would mean the yield is unchanged - so I don't think we can really draw any conclusions about the yield.

Not to deter speculation, just putting that out there.

I was just looking at that frame myself!:lol: The second one is on a grassland tile (which is base 2 food/0 production) with a yeild of 2 food/3 gold, so there's nothing going on with food here, it's all totally normal. The grassland TP has two trade routes and is riverside also, so that debunks my theory. I wouldn't be surprised if TPs are linked to trade routes in some way though.

Just noticed, need to change my post to grassland and not plains for the trading post.

There is a Wonder in the Tourism screen that appears to be Rock n' Roll or something of the sort. Or maybe it is Broadway. It unlocks with Radio and has 3 Great Work of Music slots. Filled, the tooltip in the video reads "Showplace for Information Era Portuguese Music."

I think that it means that it's just a "showplace" for music and the wonder is Broadway. Like, when it highlights the Sistine Chapel, it just says "chapel of modern Portuguese Art"

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).jpg
    Screenshot (10).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 210
In the video theres a placeholder image at radio that says "Broadway" so I think its safe to assume that the wonder is in fact Broadway.

I want to say tobacco, but that would surely be a luxury, and it wouldn't fit with the Zulu as the new super special resource civ (I forget if Zulus second thing has been revealed yet).

They NEVER said the new resource can only be made/harvested by one civ, only that it would hint to the identity of a new civ. E.g. tobacco would be a strong hint that a new Native American civ is in.

Well, we don't have to forget that those featurettes are principally for the people who know about the expansion but who don't follow every interview/video talking about it. If you look at the FB comments, they are pretty positive.

About the content, I think that the Great Work of Music for Gustav Holst is "The Planets", his most well-known masterpiece. Also, I liked to see the detailed choice-box about the archeological artifacts being discovered.

Well, planets are, strictly speaking, a collection of works - one symphony per planet.

Well, a collection of works can itself be a Great Work. They could make the Great Work "The Planets" and then have the soundbite be a snippet from one of the individual symphonies. For a modern example and therefore something I actually know about, The Who's Quadrophenia is an existential masterpiece and it would only make sense to include the album as a whole if you were to pick something but for the soundbite you'd just take from one song (Love Reign O'er Me, perhaps?).

Well, a collection of works can itself be a Great Work. They could make the Great Work "The Planets" and then have the soundbite be a snippet from one of the individual symphonies. For a modern example and therefore something I actually know about, The Who's Quadrophenia is an existential masterpiece and it would only make sense to include the album as a whole if you were to pick something but for the soundbite you'd just take from one song (Love Reign O'er Me, perhaps?).

What I meant is that they will probably choose one of the better known of the Planets symphonies, e.g. Jupiter or Mars. :)

Well, planets are, strictly speaking, a collection of works - one symphony per planet.

Just to correct you, The Planets is a suite under a single opus number (containing 7 movements, one for each planet), so regarding it as a single work is quite correct.

What I don't get about tourism is how you use it. Let's say I want to 'culturally attack' Portugal. How do I do that? Trade routes are one way, but there must be others. The screen in the video reads 'tourism output 66', but below I see a different value for each civ. I presume we have to alter the percentages, but how will we do that?

(Thinking of it, what if I'm at war with Portugal? Since we all agree tourism covers more than just people visiting your cities, this should mean tourism keeps on growing)

One thing that we saw in the recent trailer was a Great Musician doing a tour in a foreign city and getting a big tourism boost similar to expending a Great Merchant in a city-state. Great Works stored in your capital generate tourism as well, I suspect that it may work similarly to religious pressure though we don't have any concrete information on it.

What I don't get about tourism is how you use it. Let's say I want to 'culturally attack' Portugal. How do I do that? Trade routes are one way, but there must be others. The screen in the video reads 'tourism output 66', but below I see a different value for each civ. I presume we have to alter the percentages, but how will we do that?

(Thinking of it, what if I'm at war with Portugal? Since we all agree tourism covers more than just people visiting your cities, this should mean tourism keeps on growing)

Other than tourism-bomb abilities (such as the Great Musician's for example) I believe the tourism spread is passive - i.e. it spreads to all civs at the same time and you cannot actively "adjust sliders" or something like that.

Your tourism's dominance in other civs is, however, different because of other factors that affect tourism spread, including Open Borders and how strong their culture is. But the starting tourism pressure of your civ is the same for all other civs.

Does anybody know who's borders are @ 1:06 with the Portuguese archaeologist in/near it?

Maybe I just forgot what Mayan borders look like?
Germany. The territory and the background grey are to the left of the black line, what looks like tan is just a normally colored tile.

Top Bottom