Female Ranger

Well there are only two issues I see with using these...

1) They are basically un-shader-able at this point, I'm sure this can be fixed, but as of now there is no potential for shaders on them. To me that means any part used would look out of place.

- and; this one not so much an issue as it is a question -

2) Are we allowed to use this with Civ IV? Legally? And along those same lines, if we are, couldn't somebody just upload all of the parts to the DB?

1) You are right, that's a problem with the skins. But it can be corrected to a certain extend by de-contrasting the artwork. Parts that work with transparency are another problem of course.

2) Frankly, I have no idea. Naturally, the Terms of Agreement from AO do state the following:
Spoiler :

15. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

Including but not limited to, all communication features of NDOORS contains copyrighted material, trademarks and other proprietary information including, but not limited to, any titles, text, software, photographs, video, graphics, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, character inventories, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, storylines, character likenesses, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, and "applets" incorporated into the Game and the entire contents of NDOORS and each area contained therein are copyrighted as a collective work and exclusively owned and licensed by NDOORS and protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international copyright treaties and conventions, and other laws. All rights are reserved.

NDOORS owns copyrights in the selection, coordination, arrangement and enhancement of such contents. User may not in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game, modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works, or in any way exploit, any of the content contained on NDOORS (including, without limitation, content that the Website enables you to download) without the express written permission of NDOORS and the copyright owner. In the event of any permitted copying, redistribution or publication of copyrighted material, no changes in or deletion of author attribution, trademark, and legend or copyright notice shall be made. The downloading of copyrighted material from NDOORS is allowed by the user expressly for the user's own personal use.

User acknowledges that NDOORS and/or third-party content providers remain the owners of all materials posted on NDOORS, and that the user does not acquire any of those ownership rights by downloading copyrighted materials.

Failure to comply with the restrictions and limitations shall result in immediate, automatic termination of the Account granted hereunder and may subject you to civil and/or criminal liability. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may make one (1) copy of the Game Client and the Manuals for archival purposes only.

Following this, we aren't allowed to use their stuff. But on the other hand we aren't making any bucks out of it. In fact it rather benefits NDOORS that we are using parts of their work because it advertises their game while not harming them at all. We don't take away any customers from them and we don't make any profit with their work. I'm not a lawyer and can't say how this particular cooperation can and will act. But seeing that there is a Star Trek mod, a Star Wars mod, a Dune mod, a Fallout mod and so on as well as lots of units from (for example) Babylon 5 and Battletech without any problems that I heard of I hope that NDOORS won't have anything against this either (Btw, tom2050 is also making some Civ3 units out of the AO models for quit some time now). But I certainly can't give any guarantees. I just would advise anybody who uses stuff from them to make absolutely clear that the rights of that stuff lies within NDOORS.

Yeah, I would assume they probably wouldn't care. We aren't making a profit off of them, they distribute the files for free anyways, and we aren't claiming that they're ours.

There have been plenty of people who converted files from other games too.

I've now added a mostly shadered version of the Female Ranger leaderhead to the download file. The only parts I couldn't shader are her hair and the feathers, because those work too much with transparency. She looks like this now:
Spoiler :

Top Bottom