FIBA World Championship

jonatas

tropicalista
I didn't see a thread yet for this, so let's get it started.

Did anyone see the U.S. - Brazil warm up?

A couple comments:

1) International Rules suck. Did you see all those technical free throws at the end of the game? Two at a time? Give me a break...

2) U.S. stole one with the help of the Refs. They were down for the whole final portion and got 10 free throws at the end.

I guess this means the hunt is on to beat the U.S. again ;) Which is pretty amazing, since this U.S. team looks good actually.

jonatas said:
I didn't see a thread yet for this, so let's get it started.

Did anyone see the U.S. - Brazil warm up?

A couple comments:

1) International Rules suck. Did you see all those technical free throws at the end of the game? Two at a time? Give me a break...

2) U.S. stole one with the help of the Refs. They were down for the whole final portion and got 10 free throws at the end.

I guess this means the hunt is on to beat the U.S. again ;) Which is pretty amazing, since this U.S. team looks good actually.

I agree. Refs. were clueless. I did not understand what happened when they stopped the game and concersed. Then nothing happened they just carried on.

Anyway Turkey and Brazil are in the same group. I do not think we can beat Brazil if Brazil plays like they did in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Anderson Varejao is definetely the key man in the team.

Your right about Varejão. I'll tell you more: he was the player of the match for both sides. He had no problem throwing around elite American bigs, like Bosh, Miller, Brand and Battier. And he did it against Detroit in the playoffs too. He is extremely underrated because he doesn't have a flashy skill set. But for what he does, namely bang under the boards and throw other big men around, you can't beat him. He's big, strong, active and will mix it up with absolutely anyone. Really a very good player that is currently underrated.

Fallen Angel Lord said:
I still don't see how the US can even come close to losing with the team we've got. They must suck with the international rules or something.

Well international rules suck, but they beat Brazil because of them :lol: Seriously, they got like 10 freethrows at the very end of game, and half of them were technicals. It was ridiculous. And Leandro Barbosa didn't even play in the 4th. It was weird.

I would agree with you though, I think the caliber of players on the U.S. is awesome. But really they dodged a bullet with Brazil. Part of it was Varejao's funny ability to just throw around better skilled big men (remember Cleveland all of a sudden started busting Detroit wide open in the post during the playoffs- everyone was surprised).

I think if you play physical with the U.S., you may have a chance of throwing them off their game. Plus Basketball at the end of the day is still a team sport. So even if you have a much less talented team, you can play a smart strategy and still be competitive. U.S. can't take anything for granted, even with such good players.

It's the World Championship of Basketball (equivalent to the World Cup tournament, but without its prestige). Basically a competition for national basketball teams.

Dang, Gilbert Arenas will miss the Worlds with a strained groin. He was my favorite player too.

Hopefully, he'll be ready by the time the Wizards start up again.

Story

classical_hero said:
Australia are doing very well so far. :D BUt lost when we shouldn't have. :sad: We are still a young team and each experience is good for the team.

CH, you guys just beat Brazil. I can't tell if you know that or not from your post. Brazil is a very good team, with players like Varejao, Barbosa and Splitter, and they really outplayed the US in warm ups but lost to poor refereeing. They're definitely the 3rd best team in the Americas, and you just beat them.

Edit: In another news, Angola is steamrolling their way to the sweet 16 :D, the US is putting the beat down on lesser opponents, Argentina and Spain are cruising, and Turkey beat Lithuania. Oh and Nigeria scored quite an upset against Serbia-Montenegro (traditionally one of the very best but recently racked by internal dissension). There are other results too, but these are the ones which come to my mind at the moment.

Turkey beat Slovenia 90-84. That is a surprise for me. Next opponent is Argentina. Very tough match. I think we will lose.

Greece beats USA in the semi-finals!!! :D
101 - 95!!! :dance:

We dominated the last 3 quarters and we are in the final!

That was interesting. The best previous position for Greece was 4rth, two world championships ago, and then sixth, so this is an improvement.

On the downside this will probably create the same false-feeling of well-being that the european basketball and football championship wins had.

varwnos said:
That was interesting. The best previous position for Greece was 4rth, two world championships ago, and then sixth, so this is an improvement.

On the downside this will probably create the same false-feeling of well-being that the european basketball and football championship wins had.

There is no comparison between our two teams. In basketball we have a great team (unlike football) and that's no false-feeling. We deserved that win. We outplayed them in every way and that was not luck, it was skill.

I agree; what i meant was that the basketball win might create an overall feeling of well-being of the country, which would be an illusion.
It would be better to focus on infrastructure and not athletic events :)

By which i do not mean that the win was bad, just that it will not solve other problems.

varwnos said:
I agree; what i meant was that the basketball win might create an overall feeling of well-being of the country, which would be an illusion.
It would be better to focus on infrastructure and not athletic events :)

By which i do not mean that the win was bad, just that it will not solve other problems.

Well, we are talking about sports here, so let's put all the rest aside....;)

BlizzardGR said:
it was skill.

Not quite. But Greece did deserve the win. Typical case of the lesser talented team, pulling off the win by playing well-coached, unselfish team basketball.

In any event, Magic, Jordan and Bird are rolling in their graves.

I kind of feel bad for USA because they really tried to put together a good team this time, but at the same time I do hate Coach K's blue devil candy a$$ :lol: Pretty amazing upset. USA was loaded with young stars. I hear there is already a Greek player going to Houston.

Top Bottom