FIBA World Championship

Sisonpyh said:
Duncan is probably the best power forward in the world. And he fouled out because international ball is less physical and is called completely differently than in the NBA. Which was one of the main reasons he didn't want to compete.

Actually, International Basketball is crazy physical in the post. Seriously, it is violent.... to the point where you can foul and get away with it. Duncan was angry because he felt that the refs were biased and letting the competition get away with stuff he couldn't. Anyway, here nor there :p USA lost and should use this as fuel to prepare for the Olympics.

jonatas said:
Actually, International Basketball is crazy physical in the post. Seriously, it is violent.... to the point where you can foul and get away with it. Duncan was angry because he felt that the refs were biased and letting the competition get away with stuff he couldn't. Anyway, here nor there :p USA lost and should use this as fuel to prepare for the Olympics.

Uh, international ball isn't near as physical as the NBA, but thats another issue altogether.

But yeah, it was funny hearing Duncan whine about it, but watching those games, he did have legitimate a gripe. Guy couldn't even move in the block without a foul being call.

Sisonpyh said:
Uh, international ball isn't near as physical as the NBA, but thats another issue altogether.

If by physical you mean greater athleticism, size and more post play on account of a different shaped key and longer 3, that's fine. Otherwise you should watch what FIBA lets players get away with in the post. Seriously, it's a well known fact that FIBA is weird for that ;) Why do you think Duncan got p*ssed off? And I saw it this championship with my own eyes (For example, on a typical play in the round robin I saw Melo get hammered really good under the rim and he couldn't believe he didn't get the call... I mean it was a hard foul), but if you don't want to take me word for it, look at this article by Chris Sheridan from ESPN NBA Insider on the lead up to the championship:

Top ten reasons US could lose... Reason #5

5. The physicality factor. FIBA referees will call hand-checking fouls like they're going out of style, but they'll let players get away with armed combat underneath the basket without calling a foul. That doesn't bode well for skinny Chris Bosh, and it'll be an eye-opener for young Dwight Howard.

Well it is not as if the greek team is crap; it is, afterall, the european champion ;)
I do not remember if it had played Spain in the last euro championship, but the previous years it has always beaten it in regular games, so this time it was rather strange, although iirc Spain had got to world finals before, whereas Greece had not, and also since it was seen as the favourite it was more anxious. Obviously it did not play well at all in the final, but still it has a 9-1 record in this world cup.

Also it is not a good idea to mention the original dream team, since those players in all probablity were better than the current ones (?). At least they are legendary. All teams have had some players in the past who were exceptional though.

I don't think I'm confusing anything. To me, a better indicator than a one game international championship is the NBA itself, where there are a lot of Europeans (the best ones) playing anyway. That is the highest level of basketball. The best american players don't go to Europe, they stay in the NBA. And to be honest, the US team has a lot of "franchise players". Spain has one too, Gasol. So does Germany. You could build an NBA team around Nowitski and Gasol, but there's not too many other teams that had that level of player in the tournament. But US has like 8 or 9 exceptional players on their team. To me that means the US really does have the best talent pool, even though they lost yet another international tournament . Yes I know you can go ahead and laugh at my argument, but I'm not American either I do try to be objective about it, I think they're very good and the NBA is the best basketball in the world.
So? Once again you are confusing money with talent. Best players go where money is that has nothing to do with naional teams. England and Spain have the best football leagues in the world with the best players. Does that means that his national selections are head and shoulders above the others?, please...

Thorgalaeg said:
So? Once again you are confusing money with talent. Best players go where money is that has nothing to do with naional teams. England and Spain have the best football leagues in the world with the best players. Does that means that his national selections are head and shoulders above the others?, please...

No confusion. I was saying the best talent goes where the money is, and that the best Americans and Europeans play in the NBA. Again the same point: the US had about 8 franchise players (players who was good enough they could be the center piece of a NBA franchise)- Lebron, Wade, Melo, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Bosh, Brand, they cut Arenas... there's another one I can't remember atm. Spain had 1- Gasol. Germany had 1- Nowitzki. China had 1-Yao. Most teams didn't have any. Spain had other good players, but not tremendous.. ie. Calderon, who I watched every game in the NBA so far, is a back-up point guard. The US had Chris Paul and Hinrich at PG... really no comparison. Navarro, your shooting guard, who is also a good player, can't compare to Wade or Joe Johnson etc... Your powerforward: Garbajosa- the US had Bosh, Brand and Howard. We could do this for the whole list. US had talent head and shoulders over the others, it's not like Football. US didn't win, but I don't think anyone can objectively look at their team and say they didn't have the best talent by far. If you look at statistical production from all NBA players, American and International in the tournament, and considering the best Europeans are in the NBA, it cannot be argued.

You can look at my first post in the thread. I said Brazil should have beat them in the warm ups. Does that mean Brazil is on the same talent level? Not at all.

Yep, you said so, but Brazil didnt win. ;)
US had talent head and shoulders over the others, it's not like Football.
Why? I see it exacly like football. It is logical that in NBA there are more "central" players from US since it is an US league. Your argument is endogamic. You are saying that NBA player are superior becuase they play in NBA. It is circular logic. To be objective you must go out of such circle and look at the topic with some perspective, and the only places to do so are international tournaments.

jonatas said:
No confusion. I was saying the best talent goes where the money is, and that the best Americans and Europeans play in the NBA. Again the same point: the US had about 8 franchise players (players who was good enough they could be the center piece of a NBA franchise)- Lebron, Wade, Melo, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Bosh, Brand, they cut Arenas... there's another one I can't remember atm. Spain had 1- Gasol. Germany had 1- Nowitzki. China had 1-Yao. Most teams didn't have any. Spain had other good players, but not tremendous.. ie. Calderon, who I watched every game in the NBA so far, is a back-up point guard. The US had Chris Paul and Hinrich at PG... really no comparison. Navarro, your shooting guard, who is also a good player, can't compare to Wade or Joe Johnson etc... Your powerforward: Garbajosa- the US had Bosh, Brand and Howard. We could do this for the whole list. US had talent head and shoulders over the others, it's not like Football. US didn't win, but I don't think anyone can objectively look at their team and say they didn't have the best talent by far. If you look at statistical production from all NBA players, American and International in the tournament, and considering the best Europeans are in the NBA, it cannot be argued.

You can look at my first post in the thread. I said Brazil should have beat them in the warm ups. Does that mean Brazil is on the same talent level? Not at all.

Perhaps the USA had more individual talent (it surely had), at least in the sense that their players would win one on ones against most players from opponent teams, or that those same teams would be delighted at having the chance to include those players in their own squads. But that doesn't mean that they add up to form a talented team. Or that they are talented team players or at least talented team players when playing alongside the specific teammates they had for the tournament. Perhaps if they had the chance to train together for a reasonable amount of time, or have the chance to get called for regular training camps instead of being arbitrarily selected every two years to do a single event, and get more acquainted with the rules and tricks of FIBA basketball they'd be thrashing everyone after a while.
But as far as it goes now, they've been lost twice in a row now with rosters filled of NBA stars and accomplished players, so maybe there is some degree of talent they're missing. They've conceded what, 100 points to Greece, wasn't it? Maybe defense, in which american players were traditionally thought to have a large edge over european or south americans, isn't performing very well against certain strategies europeans adopt, less dependent on individual penetrations and athletic prowess. Call it lack of experience, lack of talent, lack of concentration, lack of form or lack of desire, but it certainly looks like lack of something...

Also, I agree that talent and technique is something very difficult to define. In a football analogy, in southern countries we generally praise our players' technique and ability, while dismissing northern european players as all force and no technique. Yet that hides the fact that we're only counting on feet ability, fancy moves and neat dribbles, not counting such fundamental actions as technique: reception, passing, shooting, heading, etc. which is ridiculous from my point of view.

For example, before Ginobili had been enrolled in the NBA, I doubt he'd be considered as a candidate to NBA Finals MVP. Nobody would look at him as having the athleticism to attack the basket and dunk in individual plays and lead last second plays against fierce defenses.
But while he doesn't have that so praised athleticism of typical NBA star guards, he has incredible agility, speed and ball control, and his qualities have suprised prety much the entire NBA community. In short, he has a different type of talent to what is the standard.

Sorry for the long delay. Now to get to the point...

Thorgalaeg said:
Why? I see it exacly like football. It is logical that in NBA there are more "central" players from US since it is an US league. Your argument is endogamic. You are saying that NBA player are superior becuase they play in NBA. It is circular logic. To be objective you must go out of such circle and look at the topic with some perspective, and the only places to do so are international tournaments.

It's not logical IMO that more franchise players are American because it's an American league. Franchise player is determined by exceptional talent, as in Dirk Nowitzki, Yao Ming, Pau Gasol, Steve Nash etc... The NBA has no problem with taking foreign players if they are good enough. Who was the number 1 pick last year? An Australian... This year? An Italian. Granted, neither is considered a true franchise player, but the point is NBA teams will take players from anywhere if they're good enough.

And I do look at the topic with some perspective. I watch a lot of basketball, to put it mildly. Here is the major difference in our thoughts I think: I do not view the international tournaments as the ultimate place to judge talent (or the highest level of basketball)- though obviously it is valuable. IMO the NBA is the highest level of basketball in the world, period. If you want to judge a country's true talent pool, I suggest looking at the best players it sends to the NBA and how dominant they are there, in the NBA. Viewed from this perspective, the country with the greatest talent is the US, and it's not even close. Now international basketball and players are extremely important, it's just that there's no single country that rivals the US, or even comes close to it, in overall talent.

MCdread said:
But that doesn't mean that they add up to form a talented team. Or that they are talented team players or at least talented team players when playing alongside the specific teammates they had for the tournament.

The issue of team play, tactics, strategy and knowledge is a key issue in the USA's embarassing and disgraceful losses in the International format, obviously, but it is actually separate from the question of a country's talent and ability to produce great players IMO.

Call it lack of experience, lack of talent, lack of concentration, lack of form or lack of desire, but it certainly looks like lack of something...

I definitely would not call it lack of talent. The talent is there. The US could have sent another equally talented team of completely different players. Lack of planning and strategy, lack of desire, lack of taking the international competitions seriously... but not lack of talent. The US is trying to change this, but obviously international teams are competent enough to beat the US in the international game.

Also, I agree that talent and technique is something very difficult to define. In a football analogy, in southern countries we generally praise our players' technique and ability, while dismissing northern european players as all force and no technique. Yet that hides the fact that we're only counting on feet ability, fancy moves and neat dribbles, not counting such fundamental actions as technique: reception, passing, shooting, heading, etc. which is ridiculous from my point of view.

The US has so many good players... the numbers are overwhelming. This is not to say that there aren't other good and talented basketball countries, but the US has enough talent in all facets of the game. They do not win in International competitions however.

For example, before Ginobili had been enrolled in the NBA, I doubt he'd be considered as a candidate to NBA Finals MVP. Nobody would look at him as having the athleticism to attack the basket and dunk in individual plays and lead last second plays against fierce defenses.
But while he doesn't have that so praised athleticism of typical NBA star guards, he has incredible agility, speed and ball control, and his qualities have suprised prety much the entire NBA community. In short, he has a different type of talent to what is the standard.

Well, Manu was never a true NBA finals MVP candidate. It was always known that Duncan would win. Manu is a very good player, though not a true franchise player. He also had a terrible past season and is probably surpassed by Andres Nocioni now IMO (I love Nocioni). I consider Ginobli to be quite a good athlete anyway. Yes he is different, because he brings some Argentinian drive and physicality to the game (so does Nocioni). But this is the point, the NBA takes the best European and International players now. This is what I have been saying from the beginning, if you want to judge talent pool, see what and how many franchise players a country is able to send to the NBA.

Well, there are 300 million people in the USA vs. 41 million in Spain (and traditionally we are not famous for being tall) so one franchise player out of 41 million people it is about the same as 8 franchise players out of 300 million.

Anyway, I don't want to hurt anybody with this question, I am just curious. Why Canada didn't qualify?

Urederra said:
Anyway, I don't want to hurt anybody with this question, I am just curious. Why Canada didn't qualify?

Two reasons:

1) Their best NBA players didn't play for the team. Steve Nash played for the national team in the past and Canada did well then, but he no longer plays because he has an injury history. Phoenix is very careful about overplaying him during the regular NBA season, to avoid injuring him, so they would never allow him to play for the National team anymore. Also, Canada's only other NBA player, Jamaal Magloire (not really that good), did not play, probably because there was little other talent.

2) Just overall lack of talent. Maybe in the future Canada will produce more, but at the moment they don't have much (outside of producing the current 2 time MVP Nash).

Top Bottom