Fighting myself?

scottjb

Chieftain
I started a game as Ethiopia today, and found myself playing against another Ethiopia. I thought it was a fluke, so I restarted the game. Nope, second time still had another Ethiopia. And the AI version got Addis Ababa It did make us different colors, but we were both "Ethiopia" on the screen. Made for confusing World Congress votes.

Does this happen with anyone else? I've tried searching the forums, but didn't find anything.

Attachments

• 2013-10-28_00001 (2).jpg
    2013-10-28_00001 (2).jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 287
Go back to the main menu and set up a new game. Pick Ethiopia as your civ, whatever map type and size, speed, etc. you want, and then select Advanced Options at the bottom of the screen. On the left-hand side you can select your opponent AI civs.

I'm guessing you will see Ethiopia as a designated opponent, carried over from some game you played a while back.

This happened to me a while ago, every game I got Rome as a neighbour. So I picked Rome and got Rome as a neighbour. Looked at advanced settings and Rome was selected as Civ for the AI.

Advanced settings don't change from game to game

Random setup gets any civilization to the ai. Choosing civilizations for the ai can prevent the random from choosing an unwanted civilization.

Actually this sounds like a fun game to try where an AI has your same CIV. I didn't realize a game could be setup this way. Nice! I'm going to try it.

For fun, set up a game playing Sweden and pack the map with 7 other Swedens. Get enough DOFs and your Great Person generation rate will skyrocket.

Random setup gets any civilization to the ai. Choosing civilizations for the ai can prevent the random from choosing an unwanted civilization.

Not true. It never chooses two of the same civ.

What happened, at least from when it happened to me, is that OP has picked fixed civs on Advanced Setup on a previous game and forgot to set them back to random when starting a new game. If you just go set up game and don't change a thing, the game will keep your previous choices, including the same civ you've picked now, creating a "clone".

I like the fact that he's "guarded".

There should be a major positive diplomatic benefit to being the same person as another leader.

I once had 8 Assyrias in the game, me included. It was hella confusing who's who in Diplomatic agreements though, but sure was fun.

I like the fact that he's "guarded".

There should be a major positive diplomatic benefit to being the same person as another leader.

Why? In those cases, maybe one duplicate leader is the other's "evil twin" -- separated at birth, with serious emotional issues, and determined to exterminate the other.

I got Dido, Theodora and Darius every game for like half a year, because I never noticed they were still selected. D:

We all got lazy back when Advanced Options was broken and didn't save settings from game to game. Then they fixed it and now we all forget to check our settings. :)

Huh, never knew you could do something like that.
Off-topic, what would an all hun game look like?

Top Bottom