Final Frontier Plus

Version 1.83 is released! It's a full download containing patches 1.81 and 1.82 (1.82 actually works this time, as well). Otherwise there are only a few minor bugs fixed.

The installer should work for Steam and Complete versions of Civ 4 now. Support for additional weird registry configurations can be added as well.

-Incremented in-game version to v1.83
-Fixed in-game tooltip about iron being used for melee units
-Fixed worldbuilder bug when adding resources to plots
-Updated installer to support all possible Civ 4 installations
-Rereleased v1.83 as a full download (no patches required, just install v1.83 and go)

:goodjob:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icheben
Are there serious plans to add TC01's cloaking device mod? I desperately want to see it Btw i like TC01's idea to install a cloaking device via promotion an then simply switch it on and off better than deanej's version (no offense deanej - you have an awesome mod!).
With defender withdrawal already merged its the perfect base for my own star trek mod. I plan to have all ships with cloaking devices installed to autocloak when withdrawal is triggered and geatly raise withdrawal chance with cloaking device installed.
Originally Posted by TC01

I had fairly loose plans to incorporate cloaking devices at some point in the mod's future, yes... I don't know whether or not that will actually happen now.

The only reason I haven't gone ahead and just done it was because I didn't know where to put them in the tech tree and what ships they should be on. I was considering building an alien civilization around them, but I suspect that probably won't happen now.

I could provide you with the xml-stuff:

-tech -> i suggest implementation as a expensive mid-game side tech after some sensor-techs (can do that in techinfos)
-units -> i would limit that to light and medium cruisers maybe with pre-promotions like a leader reqired and credits cost to install (can do that in promotioninfos), stealth ships get this for free (can do that in unitinfos, other stealth tags removed there)
-visibility -> there should also be a promotion to make those ships visible. This promo should be as hard to reach (in terms of pre-promotion req.) as the cloaking device (can do that in promotioninfos)

btw - can your units attack while cloaked or do they have to decloak first?

Can i anyhow convince you to do this? :groucho:

Does anyone know if the prewarp alien offishal civalizations for the inhabitants mod was ever finished? can I play a custom game and select the alien civs at start to play against? how exactly do I activate a alien civ? will the alien civs always be at prewarp alien civalizations or do they advance in technology that is of course if there is offishal alien civs and not just alien civ barbarians.Of course I could play the MOO Mod but witch ever mod requires less memory I will use, hoepfully I can play against aliens in this mod and they don't remain at prewarp.

Does anyone know if the prewarp alien offishal civalizations for the inhabitants mod was ever finished? can I play a custom game and select the alien civs at start to play against? how exactly do I activate a alien civ? will the alien civs always be at prewarp alien civalizations or do they advance in technology that is of course if there is offishal alien civs and not just alien civ barbarians.Of course I could play the MOO Mod but witch ever mod requires less memory I will use, hoepfully I can play against aliens in this mod and they don't remain at prewarp.

There is no actual alien civ available for use in Final Frontier Plus. The only aliens are a type of "goody hut" that appears in some star systems (one of the things that can happen is that they join your civ, in which case you, technically, have a partially alien civilization - but it has no effect at all on the game). All the actual playable civilizations are human colonies, just like in the original Final Frontier.

Other space based mods with similar structure:
MOO2Civ (as you mentioned)
Babylon 5
Star Trek (an old version with several scenarios, and a new version, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Mod, that I think works a bit better and faster but does not have the scenarios).

B5 and both Star Trek mods used Final Frontier Plus as a base (due to moving a bunch of stuff from Python into the DLL, and various additional DLL improvements, it is much faster than regular Final Frontier when processing the AI turns and also has some AI improvements and other tweaks ), although the original ST mod uses a rather old version. MOO2Civ is derived directly from the original FF, so it will be somewhat slower at processing turns than the others.

@TC01

Have changed the techinfos and promotioninfos files. Can mail you the files if you need them.

TECH_CLOAKING added after shock and awe (prereqs TECH_MILITARY_4 and TECH_INDUSTRY_3). I think cloaking is the ultimate skock...

PROMOTION_CLOAKING added after advanced stealth (prereqs PROMOTION_STEALTH_III and PROMOTION_ENGINES_II). Why stealth as prereq is obvious good engines are needed to evade enemy fire and recloak. Limited this promo to scout and light ships.

Will add the text-tags next. For the unitinfos changes i need to know how this is finally implemented (if ts implemented - hopefully).

I doubt anyone will respond but there's no harm in trying..

I was hoping to alter the portraits and music of the civs in game to make them resemble those from EVE Online (Caldari, Gallente, Jove, etc..), and to my surprise I could not find the "diplomacy" folder in sounds.. From what I'm to understand most of those files are hardcoded?

So.. How can I go about altering those files..? :think:

I've recently been adding music to the latest B5 mod (currently unreleased) and I've set up a new folder within the B5 mod to contain the new files. The Mod music will be used in preference to the standard music so long as you have everything set correctly in the xml to play the music you want there should be no problem.

There is no actual alien civ available for use in Final Frontier Plus. The only aliens are a type of "goody hut" that appears in some star systems (one of the things that can happen is that they join your civ, in which case you, technically, have a partially alien civilization - but it has no effect at all on the game). All the actual playable civilizations are human colonies, just like in the original Final Frontier.

Yeah, I never got around to making this work- primarily for lack of inspiration in making up my own alien races more than anything else (it wouldn't be difficult from a technical standpoint- though, having said that, I could never get the Civilization Class thing to work...).

I believe my intention was that one of the consequences of meeting an alien goody hut could cause their civilization to spawn. In hindsight this isn't as dynamic and cool as I hoped it would be because the AI (and pirates) love to keep ships over solar systems that haven't been colonized as a way of claiming them. It also loves to send out a lot of destroyers and other such "scout ships" (at least, this has been my experience when running AI Auto Play tests) early on in the game, which means that most stars will have been visited by someone reasonably quickly. I think.

This could be solved with a new map type or game option akin to that in Planetfall, where all the civilizations start close together. I'd probably do something like that if I added non-prewarp alien civilizations, and have them spawn away from the grouping of human civs (if this game option was turned on).

...but I'm reluctant to do any work on this without some concrete ideas for alien civilizations, and I'm uncertain what aliens would or should exist in Final Frontier, especially since I didn't originally create the universe.

@TC01

Have changed the techinfos and promotioninfos files. Can mail you the files if you need them.

TECH_CLOAKING added after shock and awe (prereqs TECH_MILITARY_4 and TECH_INDUSTRY_3). I think cloaking is the ultimate skock...

PROMOTION_CLOAKING added after advanced stealth (prereqs PROMOTION_STEALTH_III and PROMOTION_ENGINES_II). Why stealth as prereq is obvious good engines are needed to evade enemy fire and recloak. Limited this promo to scout and light ships.

Will add the text-tags next. For the unitinfos changes i need to know how this is finally implemented (if ts implemented - hopefully).

Why don't you release this as a modmod- like my original Cloaking Devices, before it was merged- perhaps as a new thread over in the FF+ forums? Then I'll gladly merge it in.

Yes, cloaked units couldn't attack. There's an explanation of how I achieved that somewhere in the Cloaking Devices thread in the Star Trek subforum, I believe (because deanej wanted to know when he did it himself).

I doubt anyone will respond but there's no harm in trying..

I was hoping to alter the portraits and music of the civs in game to make them resemble those from EVE Online (Caldari, Gallente, Jove, etc..), and to my surprise I could not find the "diplomacy" folder in sounds.. From what I'm to understand most of those files are hardcoded?

So.. How can I go about altering those files..? :think:

As PsiCorps said, you can definitely add replacement files for things like this. The names, locations, and so on are all rather arbitrary: you just need to specify them in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml (for leaders) and maybe other XML files depending on what you want to do.

I seemed to have encountered yet another problem, I located the leaderhead art file with all the data, I proceeded with deleting and replacing only to find out that I can't delete it..? It prompts me for admin access and even does that little delete in progress loading bar, but it just refuses to terminate..

I went in in to Properties>Security>Change Permissions>The system could not find the file specified.. I'll admit I'm not THAT bright with computers but I'm no noob.. But this? I'm dumbfounded..

I seemed to have encountered yet another problem, I located the leaderhead art file with all the data, I proceeded with deleting and replacing only to find out that I can't delete it..? It prompts me for admin access and even does that little delete in progress loading bar, but it just refuses to terminate..

I went in in to Properties>Security>Change Permissions>The system could not find the file specified.. I'll admit I'm not THAT bright with computers but I'm no noob.. But this? I'm dumbfounded..

My first question would be which operating system you are using? However, please remember that you should initially make a copy of the FFP folder and amend the files/folder in there rather than the original files/folders.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, and the first thing I tried was making a backup of the select files, and of course it wouldn't let me do that either to which I went on with attempting to delete it entirely, but to no avail of course..

What happend to Great Generals in FF+? I played origanel and got GG's, but 999999999 to next GG! Where can I change it?

What happend to Great Generals in FF+? I played origanel and got GG's, but 999999999 to next GG! Where can I change it?

They decided to stay at home and leave it to the Great Admirals to manage the fleets of starships. Sadly, they failed to realize that there is no such thing as a Great Admiral.

It's not 999999999, it's only 99999. (Not that it really makes much difference.)

If you really want to change this, it is set in Final Frontier Plus\Assets\XML\GlobalDefinesAlt.xml by the GREAT_GENERALS_THRESHOLD value. If you just delete the part of the file that defines it, it ought to fall back to using the regular BtS value. Just remove the lines in that file that look like this:
Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>GREAT_GENERALS_THRESHOLD</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>99999</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
Or change the 99999 to some smaller value, unmodded BtS uses 30.

Long time Civ'er, first time poster...

Great mod. I've played a few games to victory and enjoyed it very much.
I'd like to report a couple of bugs, and make one game play suggestion.

When I accept vassalage from another (computer) player, it deactivates all the space gained from space stations. Not the space stations themselves, just the border expansions they have created. This looses any resources I have gained from them.
The only time this hasn't happened is when I got a vassal before I built any space stations.

When I minimise the game to return to my desktop, it often crashes. Maybe 50-60% of the time.

My game play suggestion concerns the late game, when construction ships can build across nebulas etc. Other ships (except colonists) can only use these jump lanes with the appropriate sheild upgrade, which costs 3 precious promotions. I would suggest that any ship be allowed to pass through anything once a jump/warp lane has been built there.

Long time Civ'er, first time poster...

Great mod. I've played a few games to victory and enjoyed it very much.
I'd like to report a couple of bugs, and make one game play suggestion.

Thanks, and welcome to CFC! :assimilate:

When I accept vassalage from another (computer) player, it deactivates all the space gained from space stations. Not the space stations themselves, just the border expansions they have created. This looses any resources I have gained from them.
The only time this hasn't happened is when I got a vassal before I built any space stations.

Well, they come back when you end your turn so the loss is very temporary. Consider it the cost of taking a vassal. The worst effect is that you might need to adjust your population assignments across the planets in some (or potentially all) of your star systems if it pulled some off due to temporary unhappiness.

The underlying reason for this is that Civ only actually keeps plot ownerships for plots within the culture range of cities (in theory this could be changed in the DLL, since some mods do so, but it hasn't been done for FFP). The extra area around starbases is done in Python every turn. When you take a vassal it recomputes borders and the Python is not run so you lose that territory until the next time it does run, which is in some Python run once per turn.

When I minimise the game to return to my desktop, it often crashes. Maybe 50-60% of the time.

I'm not actually sure there is anything we can do about this. It may be specific to your graphics card and/or drivers. I have seen this occasionally, but usually only if I do it more than once without doing anything in the game between them, and I haven't seen it in quite a while.

My game play suggestion concerns the late game, when construction ships can build across nebulas etc. Other ships (except colonists) can only use these jump lanes with the appropriate sheild upgrade, which costs 3 precious promotions. I would suggest that any ship be allowed to pass through anything once a jump/warp lane has been built there.

That's a good suggestion. I had considered making it work that way but never got around to even looking into it. Without the promotion, you'd take damage if you ended a turn inside a nebula. That is not really a serious issue though since you could often be able to move completely to the other side without ending a turn inside the nebula (or radiation cloud, which you ought to be able to move into whether there is a route or not).

On the other hand, I wouldn't say it "costs 3 precious promotions" (which makes it sound like they are wasted) since the preqs do nice things for you. It is also often possible to build ships that start with that many promotions as you can get to 10, or more, prestige from multiple training compounds in a star system with 5 or more planets planets and there are other additional sources (buildings from the Power value also give 2 each and there is a national wonder that gives 4, and the Brotherhood's trait gives 4 and reduces the amount you need).

Thanks for explaining all that to me.

I mentioned the crashing issue because it doesn't happen with other Civ games, for instance LOR, which I've played a lot. (LOR is very slow. I certainly appreciate how fast FF runs).

Yes, it's easy enough to build a unit with 3 promotions, but what's precious about them is that I usually use them for other things, i.e. range and power. The requirements for leveling being exponential, I rarely have units promoted above 4/5th.

Anyway, thanks for all the work you've put into this mod.
It's like a whole new game!

I was wondering are going to update the mod platform anytime soon? I would like take a whack at modding, so if something actually comes out of it, I would like to think ahead a little and make sure there are little as possible engine update problems later on. Yes I'm think of a TC and not just adding or changing things here and there.

Well I don't want to say anything specific at the moment. Been on my mind for quite awhile, and every now and then I get the urge to "look into it". So I thought it would be best to start from "modern" civ platform with all the advantages made since its release. I know very little about modding and I know it would take along time for there to be anything playable, but still if anything should come out of it I would like to be "smart" and avoid any unnecessary hassle later on.

Top Bottom