• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Finland for Civ6

CyberSabotage

Chieftain
The Finno-Ugric Tribes were spread as far and wide from Central Europe to Northern Asia. They moved from the British Isles to Norway during the Ice-age. And to this day there are a few people at the Japanese sea that speak a Finno-Ugric language. There are multiple Tribes in Siberia still remaining. It is clear that these Tribes were massive in territory and some of the first Europeans. This is why I think/feel Finland should have a chance in Civ. Well at least this is my argument for them.

Finland was somewhat left alone during the Viking eras. This might be because the Vikings thought the Finns where Shamans and magicians, and gave them some respect (The western cost was still raided).
The Finish culture is probably the only reason it stands today, since it has been under the rule of Sweden and Russia and nether could assimilate them even though they tried.

So here's some random ideas.

Forest, lake, Swamp start bias.

Historical Agenda - Peace keepers. Hates wars and will economically support the country under threat, giving them luxuries and gold maybe units(if in good relations) as support but wont join the war.

Civilization Ability: If a technology has been researched by someone before them they get a discount on the technology. Also a defencive bonus in and close to there borders.

Possible leaders: Mannerheim, Kekkonen, Paasikivi.

Unique Units: Hakkapeliitta or Jääkäri

Unique Building: Papermill replaces Factory and gives production/gold from wood. This could be Kekkonen's Unique Building as it is in Hypereon's Civ5 Finland mod.

Unique Tile Improvement: Mökki/Sauna. Must be built next to forest and cant be built next to one another, bonus if built next to a lake. Gives culture and amenities.

Finland could be a culture Civ without the fear of falling too behind in tech and buy time till the late game when the forests would turn into economic power tiles.

I would really like it if they ever got into Civ. Do you think there is a chance? Let me know what you would change or just bounce some ideas for fun. Thanks! :)

Disclaimer: The first two paragraphs I have read on the Internet. I am not a scholar, anthropologist or historian. There seems to be scientific evidence to support them, but I know they are under debate!

Who'd you pick as our great people? Sibelius, sure (Finlandia hymn for those who are not familiar with him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DY5kUf-IE ). Risto Näätänen and A.I. Virtanen, no doubt. Maybe Linus Torvalds, Lars Ahlfors, Teuvo Kohonen and Leena Palotie, but after that, I can't really think of too many. Writers or artists wouldn't be too much of a problem, though.

I'd feel a bit awkward playing as Mannerheim, I mean, he was a friend of the one whose name shall not be mentioned (I vaguely remember some unknown historical guy saying something like "where one burns books (or bans words), everything will be just fine and dandy").

I would really like it if they ever got into Civ. Do you think there is a chance? Let me know what you would change or just bounce some ideas for fun. Thanks! :)

I'm still around so you can deduce the chance of Finland being included as a mod from that. ;)

I'd feel a bit awkward playing as Mannerheim, I mean, he was a friend of the one whose name shall not be mentioned (I vaguely remember some unknown historical guy saying something like "where one burns books (or bans words), everything will be just fine and dandy").

No comments other than being "friends" with leaders of the same bloc, even if only under duress (we were attacked by an Allies nation, anyway) was and is diplomatically common. Mannerheim was by no means nazi-minded, Finland switched sides during his presidency. Even as he was a White, a right-winger and a conservative, that hasn't anything to do with nazism. I might be biased, though, having a bust of Risto Ryti in my office room...

Wait I thought Finnish are mongols:
Spoiler :

Finnish civ could be cool if it gets something distinct and unique. Also should it be centered on early tribal era, modern independet nation or a mix of all that, like many civs are in Civilization games. I really like the Sauna unique improvement idea.

p.s. Even though Mannerheim personally despised Hitler, Finns went quite big on whole Barbarossa thing, letting Germany use Finnish airfields, sending army group farther than the original plans and using torpedoboats on siege of Leningrad etc.

My dad was named after Ryti as his parents thought Ryti was given unfair treatment after the war, its pretty common name on that age group I think.

I'd love to see Finland as a civilization in Civ VI.

Lots of possibility for a really fun and interesting Civ. :)

Are there any viable Finnish leaders from pre-19th century (such as tribal leaders, Viking chieftains)? As far as I am aware the only leader that would meet Civ game leader requirements is Mannerheim, and though there have been exceptions (Gandhi, Haille Sellasie), Civ games prefer to go for not too many recent leaders like him.

Are there any viable Finnish leaders from pre-19th century (such as tribal leaders, Viking chieftains)? As far as I am aware the only leader that would meet Civ game leader requirements is Mannerheim, and though there have been exceptions (Gandhi, Haille Sellasie), Civ games prefer to go for not too many recent leaders like him.

No, there is very little saved history since the Finno-Ugric tribes did not have writing. And there was never a united front, part from the raids to Novgorod. The Russians moving in seemed to anger the Tribes. And from 1150-1809 The modern Finnish territory and its tribes were united and ruled by Sweden, and from 1808-1917 was ruled by Russia. After that the Finns united and took independence.

Seeing how well the Finnish forces did against the vastly larger Soviet army in the winter war, how about giving them a combat bonus for each adjacent enemy military unit. Either as leader UA (Sisu) or special ability to the Jääkäri UU. This could lead to some interesting gameplay. (Or maybe it would make a besieged city too tough to capture...)

Top Bottom