Firaxis attributes itself fans and modders work!!!

darko82

Emperor
Regardless of the quality of BTS, I hate how Firaxis tries to promote the expansion. They are constantly emphasizing that it is "THE BIGGEST EXPANSION EVER" That statement almost equals "THE PREVIOUS EXPANSIONS WERE CRAPISH" To my mind, every expansion should be like this because this is what makes them worth buying. Anything that is not like this expansion is like pulling wool over fans eyes to make a fast buck.

Why is this expansion so big? Only thanks to fans and modders who often devote themselves to create something new. I hate the fact that Firaxis puts and uses modders' content to promote the game in such a way. I just see this statement everywhere around. It is really good to put into practice fans' ideas, but they should not promote it in such a way because without modders and fans they could not really do so.

Also, BtS costs almost as much as vanilla Civ 4, so it better be BIG if it gonna be worth the price!

It was their policy to involve the community as much as possible by giving the source code. Making a game easy to mod does not mean they can make use of someone's effort to promote the game in such a silly way.

Maybe the modders fell priviledged that there using there own work?

I know i'd love to have my work in the game!

Also, BtS costs almost as much as vanilla Civ 4, so it better be BIG if it gonna be worth the price!

I don't know about you but I paid 50 for civ 4 and 30 for bts.

Hype is all just a part of the game making biz. Without it, they would sell fewer copies of the expansion.

Aye, and so they'd have less money/time/freedom to make civ games in the future.

There are many fair complaints made about civ on this site (almost all relating to the game itself - esp. bugs), and it seems Firaxis takes note of many of the most frequent and significant criticisms.

But there are also a lot of complaints which are just pointless whinging. This thread is a prime example.

Message to the Pointless Whingers: If you really can't stand what Firaxis are doing, you can vote with your wallet!!!

I'm curious what the fanbase modders got for their work. Precise terms, not rumours. Anyone know for sure?

I don't really listen to any of the PR hype that gets tossed around by gaming companies. The fact that Firaxis does this is no different then every other company out there.

BTW, if you want to see a flaming bag of PR crap, just take a look at how Bethesda is trying to pitch Fallout 3. :gripe: :wallbash:

How exactly are they attributing other's works to themselves. BTS added a huge amount to the game whether you include the scenarios developed by modders or not.

They rebuilt the AI in several ways. They added a ton of new civs. They completely reworked the late game, fixed several bugs in the tech tree, added in multiple entire new systems, like blockadeable trade routes, the AP, and Espionage and many other things. The fact that they ALSO gave modders advanced copies to release scenarios does not invalidate the work they alreayd did.

no not really.

Oh yeah don't forget the corporation system that was added as well. as cool as I think the work the modders did for Civ is I hardly think you can compare their work to what Firaxis did for BTS let alone the origional game. There's a big difference between coding and designing a well balanced game and modifying xml/scripting

no not really.

Oh yeah don't forget the corporation system that was added as well. as cool as I think the work the modders did for Civ is I hardly think you can compare their work to what Firaxis did for BTS let alone the origional game. There's a big difference between coding and designing a well balanced game and modifying xml/scripting

Oh come on now! ;) Isn't it just so much more spiritually soothing to believe in the big evil shiftless corporation and the lone brilliant under appreciated modder?

Like said before, i think having his mod selled by firaxis is a good thing on a CV or it very rewarding ... after if they have got money .. what can i say .. good :p

But don't forget that without civ IV no mod.

If I'm not mistaken, the User Agreement in the back of the manual of BtS (I'm not sure about Vanilla and Warlords) clearly states that any and all material created through the use of the game is the sole property of Firaxis and TakeTwo Interactive..

So yeah, you can mod away and create all kinds of wonderful additions, but if Firaxis tells you you can't make that or that they would like to use your mod in their own product, they have every right to do so.. Just be glad they allow the modding community so much influence on the game and that they actually allowed popular fanmods into a new expansion pack..

Top Bottom