Firaxis pulling a CYA with GOTY?

I don't find it hard to believe that others like it. There are parts of it that are decent, even approaching "pretty good."

What I have a hard time believing is the objectivity of an award from a portal with direct ties to the publisher, and that it genuinely thinks it's better than any other PC game out there from 2010. There is a big difference between "I like this game" and "This is the best thing that came out for PC all year!"

I think it's pretty clear that the "award" was given to be a face saving "buffer" (something they can point to later as 'proof' that it wasn't THAT bad an idea) for what I'm guessing is disappointing numbers. Of course I can't prove it, but given the facts it certainly seems possible.

It was pretty well a joke award that Firaxis and 2K Games can now use in their advertising.

You are also correct in that Gamespy is not exactly objective.

So can anyone actually find sales figures for Civilization 5? Retail and/or Steam?

That would be a good indicator of how likely an expansion pack is going to be, or in fact Civilization VI, or perhaps the primary indicator. We can badmouth ciV all we want, but if the sales end up being good, there's still going to be a 6.

So can anyone actually find sales figures for Civilization 5? Retail and/or Steam?

That would be a good indicator of how likely an expansion pack is going to be, or in fact Civilization VI, or perhaps the primary indicator. We can badmouth ciV all we want, but if the sales end up being good, there's still going to be a 6.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/43507/sid-meiers-civilization-v/

This is the only thing I can find, but I have no way of knowing if it is accurate. I also don't know if it includes Steam sales or not, hence why many will guess that it's "got to be" over a million sales if you include Steam.

The fact is, I'm not sure anyone really knows. It may be academic anyway. PC game sales in general are utterly dwarfed in comparison to console games. It's easier to optimize for consoles too, because they aren't as diverse spec wise as PC's. If Civ hasn't dug its own grave as a serious PC game with this iteration, consoles are just as likely to do the job.

Vgchartz doesn't includes Steam sales. And their sales are estimates, but it's the closest you can get to a number. I reckon Civ will somehow reach 1,5 mil- 2mil sales, but it won't have legs, simply because of lack of word of mouth. This is less than Civ IV, if I'm not mistaken.
I know I won't recomend it to anyone I know.

Vgchartz doesn't includes Steam sales. And their sales are estimates, but it's the closest you can get to a number. I reckon Civ will somehow reach 1,5 mil- 2mil sales, but it won't have legs, simply because of lack of word of mouth. This is less than Civ IV, if I'm not mistaken.
I know I won't recomend it to anyone I know.

Indeed. It was quick out of the gate largely due to riding on the coat tails of cIV.

I don't think it will fare as well in the next few years.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/43507/sid-meiers-civilization-v/

This is the only thing I can find, but I have no way of knowing if it is accurate. I also don't know if it includes Steam sales or not, hence why many will guess that it's "got to be" over a million sales if you include Steam.

The fact is, I'm not sure anyone really knows. It may be academic anyway. PC game sales in general are utterly dwarfed in comparison to console games. It's easier to optimize for consoles too, because they aren't as diverse spec wise as PC's. If Civ hasn't dug its own grave as a serious PC game with this iteration, consoles are just as likely to do the job.

Thanks for the info!

I didn't think so many people played/bought Civ. Why doesn't this forum have more members? :p

Thanks for the info!

I didn't think so many people played/bought Civ. Why doesn't this forum have more members? :p

They bought it and then quit shortly thereafter? A cynical but logical guess... :p To be more fair, the population of a forum is always extremely small relative to a game. And this is just one forum (albeit the best) for Civ, and not even the "official" one. :)

Well, look at the "achievements".
10% of people haven't even discovered a ruin, which basically means they must have quit before the tenth turn.

I hadn't realized the explicit link between Gamespy and Civ 5. That's very damning - especially when I couldn't find any other site (of the numerous ones with game awards) where Civ 5 was awarded anything.

It's also quite relevant, when talking about Civ 5 having 80+% scores, to note that genuine disasters like Master of Orion 3 also got positive reviews (in that case, an average of 64%). Think about that....a game universally acknoweldged to be a disaster which still got 8 strongly positive reviews and only 4 negative ones (and a dozen mixed.) Civ Rev got 80%.

If these two examples don't indicate a broken system of game reviews, I don't know what would. Civ 5 is just another data point - and it's revealing that the user reviews of the game are far lower than the inflated professional reviews (also true for MOO3, by the way.)

The best game of the year is the game we just happen to have been associated with and where our logo appears on the load screen! Yaaaaay!

Usually shills aren't quite so obvious about it.

Based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_the_Year

it looks as if Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2 are the consensus winners for 2010. I'm not aware of anything but the silly Gamespy ploy for Civ 5: where they gave everyone a prize by awarding the AAA titles in the various genres and platforms. It's sort of like handing out self-esteem trophies at summer camp.

Indeed - the idea of Civ 5 competing with games like Red Dead Redemption, Starcraft II, or Mass Effect 2 for GOTY 2010 is just laughable. Even if you love Civ 5, you can't honestly claim that it was released in a condition even remotely resembling those three titles. (EDIT: See below. Turns out Civ 5 is not "overall" GOTY according to Gamespy, it's Strategy Game of the Year.)

The Gamespy "You're Special In Your Own Special Way!" award is just a joke. It's in Gamespy's own best interest to try and help Civ 5 sell. Again, even if you're a big fan of Civ 5, you can't pretend that Gamespy is the least bit objective on this.

Interesting tidbit, though - http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/projects/ lists Red Dead Redemption as a project that uses "Powered by Gamespy" technology.

But wait, there's more! Gamespy also named Red Dead Redemption as 2010 Game of the Year! :lol:

I know right?? How unexpected! :lol:

While I had those pages open, I should have run down the list of Gamespy's many "Game of the Year LOLOLOL" winners and cross-referenced it with the list of Gamespy's project partners. My super-sleuthing super-sense tells me there may be a teeny bit of overlap!! :think:

the only way civ 5 can be voted game of the year is for the site to be paid off, or the people voting on it are braindead.

10% of people haven't even discovered a ruin, which basically means they must have quit before the tenth turn.

Or they are hardcore anti-randomness types and always play with ruins turned off :p

Or they are hardcore anti-randomness types and always play with ruins turned off :p

People here overestimate how much time casual players spend on a game - when they did a review of how long an average guy played Napoleon Total War they found out that 80% of the playerbase spent less than 20 hours on the product and up to 10% bought the game but didn't play it more than one hour. (Not that Napoleon TW was a very bad Game or something like that, it's just that most player don't spend that much time playing). The same will be true with Civ 4 and Civ5; the average player will maybe complete 2-3 full games and then he'll loose interest and buy another game - that's just they way it is.

Which is why people here overestimate how bad or well Civ 5 will perform based upon finer game concepts (99% of the playerbase probably don't know the argument between global and local Happiness ;)); the average consumer does not really care, which is why Civ 5 got quite good reviews; if you only play for a very limited time you won't even notice most of the bugs (and Civ 5 has quite a few, even now) and Civ 5 will feel quite fresh.

or it means they play with ruins turned off.

I hadn't realized the explicit link between Gamespy and Civ 5. That's very damning - especially when I couldn't find any other site (of the numerous ones with game awards) where Civ 5 was awarded anything.

PC Gamer is a US-based magazine that is pretty credible. They gave an award to civ 5 in this past years Game Awards.

PC Gamer is a US-based magazine that is pretty credible. They gave an award to civ 5 in this past years Game Awards.

An award, yes. They gave it "PC Turn-Based Strategy Game of the Year" for 2010.

A category that includes what, two or three other competitors? I mean hey, Civ 5 beat Elemental... so it must be GOTY! FLAWLESS VICTORY! :lol:

I can see Civ5 winning strategy game of the year because it makes a great first impression. If you're not putting a hundred or more hours into it, you're probably not going to notice the things the marathon civ players do.

It makes particular contrast with the Paradox games, where the games are confusing at first, then become more rewarding the more you understand about them. Granted the Paradox games are patched up pretty nicely at this point. Remember, EU3 had a lot of the same complaints regarding the new styling and its perceived depth compared to EU2. I didn't play HoI3 but I heard that game was a wreck until it was patched up. The only one that might be comparable to Civ5 right now is Vicky 2, and Civ5 makes the better first impression.

So yeah, I can see a not-directly-influenced publication giving Strategy GotY honors to Civ5.

Top Bottom