First impressions: Wonders still suck (big time).

Yeah, I got about 60 hours out of it, but I kinda get the feeling I'd have had more fun playing better games for that time, like Civ 5 and 4.

I kinda missed the Civ5 days when you build wonders to raise Great Persons for various purposes, such as inventing three super-expensive tech in a row to completely butcher the AIs with a next-gen army. Wonders in CivBE indeed are quite useless. I normally don't see anybody building more than 1 wonder.

No, PlayerPerks stay with the player who built the wonder. (and iirc conquering such a wonder does not award you the PlayerPerk)

Anyone know if player perks are removable in any way?

Wait they have to be. The national security projects are implemented as perks as well. It would be meaningless if you couldn't switch between them.

edit: Crap, National Security Projects are swapped through a function call to the player object called StartNationalSecurityProject()

No, PlayerPerks stay with the player who built the wonder. (and iirc conquering such a wonder does not award you the PlayerPerk)

Wow I never knew that, or even thought about it working that way.

So that would mean if an AI built a wonder such as the Memetwork and you took their city containing it, you wouldn't get the benefit its affinity requirement reduction, correct? And the same for things like the Master Control? Or are effects like that not a player perk thing. (Hadn't even heard of them before)

Anyone know if player perks are removable in any way?

Wait they have to be. The national security projects are implemented as perks as well. It would be meaningless if you couldn't switch between them.

edit: Crap, National Security Projects are swapped through a function call to the player object called StartNationalSecurityProject()

Adding/removing PlayerPerks is easy, the function for that is Player:AddPerk / Player:RemovePerk.
(That's not a "function" though, or is it? What's the right word for that?)

Wow I never knew that, or even thought about it working that way.

So that would mean if an AI built a wonder such as the Memetwork and you took their city containing it, you wouldn't get the benefit its affinity requirement reduction, correct?
Well, yes, I think that's how it works, but I'm not 100% sure about that. What I know for certain is that, by taking over the wonder, you do not remove the bonus from the AI.

I don't know anyone who would complain about the terminology unless it was being used in a technical context where a difference mattered. Because Lua uses the function keyword, I tend to call them functions, but they all invoke C++ methods in the game engine, so who knows.

I haven't been able to find any usage of Player:RemovePerk() in any of the game's included Lua file. If you know for sure that the function works, then that would be super awesome. Otherwise I can go test for myself and report back.

Yes, they do work, I tested both of them. :)

But yeah, they're not used in the lua files, the only reason I even know they exist is that they're used in Machiavelli's Policies grant perks & buildings utility pack, one of the resources I used to get a basic understanding of how to do stuff with lua:

Code:
function PolicyPerks_PolicyAdopted(playerID, policyID)
	local player = Players[playerID];

local condition = "PolicyType = '" .. GameInfo.Policies[policyID].Type .. "'";
	for row in GameInfo.Policy_PGP_FreePerk(condition) do
		[B]player:AddPerk(GameInfo.PlayerPerks[row.FreePlayerPerk].ID);[/B]
	end
end

(from Policies grant Perks.lua)

You know there's something I don't think I've really seen mentioned about post-patch wonders.

The AI seems to have really been toned down when it comes to building them, or is it just me? Before the patch I swear they'd often try to wonderwhore. I remember having my spies in multiple capitals and seeing so many wonders being built. Often multiple AIs would be racing each other for things like Memetwork, Promethian and Markov Eclipse.

However, since the new patch, they don't complete nearly as many as they used to in my games. In the latest game I finished the AIs built only like 3 wonders. (Memetwork, Quantum Computer, and Gene Vault if I remember correctly) That's 3 wonders taken by them in the WHOLE game.

Could the reason for this be the new strategic resource requirements for a lot of the wonders putting them off somehow, or did they dial back their enthusiasm about wonders along with the other AI tweaks they made?

Before if I didn't get stuff like the Ecto Pod ASAP It WAS going to be taken by somebody. Now the AI doesn't seem to bother. (not saying the new Ecto Pod is worthwhile anyway, but still) I'm certainly not complaining though, since I can be a bit of a wonderwhore myself and I appreciate not having such aggressive competition for ones I want. (Watching good wonders get snatched up like candy by Diety AIs in Civ V always made me shed a tear too) :lol:

Mhh. Thanks. :)

Top Bottom