First or second in the turn order you prefer in pitboss?

First or second in the turn order you prefer in pitboss?

• I prefer to move first

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I prefer to move second

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

2metraninja

Defender of Nabaxica
So, playing a lot of pitbosses lately, and preferring to drive the events instead to be driven after them, I find myself too often in a situation where I am about to declare war at someone and I am to choose to move after or before the other (poor) guy or gal.

I generally choose to move second, as I think it gives me slight advantage, but the people generally do whatever it takes to be first. From the chess, there is a simple explanation - the one who moves first is one move ahead, but I think this is not exactly the case in Civ4 pitbosses.

So, what are your preferences? Do you prefer to play first or second in the turn order? And why?

There are a few specific reasons to move first. Surprise, preventing enemy promotions, etc.

But 2nd becomes increasingly important as the game progresses. Once the resource war starts with spies and bombers, you always want to be last (or have a special rule allowing EoT worker moves)

I generally pick 2nd.

Declaring war when you're second denies them one turn of military production if they aren't already building troops, or one turn of draft/whip. Unless you're a gentleman.

Then again, being second lets you leave a side city undefended if you will produce a longbow next turn, so you can send whatever you have there to the frontline NOW, not next turn. Sure it's a rare situation when you can defend a city with one unit, but it happens (stray pillagers or surprise amphibious attacks or w/e).

This is a hard question, one I've given up trying to answer.

In simple RL terms, moving first is just more convenient, as you dont have to wait for the other person to move, but other than that, I think the fact that its such a close call between the two shows that it really does not matter all that much. The better player always wins, regardless of whther he moves first or second.

Top Bottom