First Thoughts

Stardog13

Chieftain
I guess I can write up a quick bit while my other computer is rebooting after crashing :(

A couple things I've noticed so far:
1. Forests actually grow.:goodjob:
2. Barbarians actaully take over a city instead of just pillaging it.:eek:

Not sure if those were covered anywhere previously.

The game is awesome though, love the new tech tree; just built the oracle when it crashed :(

Oh well, back to the game, hope it doesn't crash again.

What nation does barbarians represent when they take over a city? Barbarania?

The crash thing creeps me, I REALLY hope they didnt ship the game too early

I actually have it on my laptop right now, it's a pretty decent laptop and it runs good on the highest settings. And yes forest spread to adjacent tiles. Just saw the Oracle wonder video and it's neat, shows it being built; just like the pyramids in the preview movie.

Keep in mind, before you freak out, we have no idea the state Stardog's PC is in. For all we know he's running it on a TNT, or has 128 megs of ram, or is loaded with spyware. I am not saying that is the case, but wait for wider-spread reports of crashing before panic.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind :) My apologies to Stardog, I wish I had a nice laptop like that :(

Stardog13 said:
I actually have it on my laptop right now, it's a pretty decent laptop and it runs good on the highest settings. And yes forest spread to adjacent tiles. Just saw the Oracle wonder video and it's neat, shows it being built; just like the pyramids in the preview movie.

could you specify what kind of laptop you have?
processor
graphics card
ram?

pleeaase...:)

Great! They even made the Oracle movie crash like in the Civ2 days!

If we consider Stardog's crash to be an omen - and why shouldn't we, given that it was triggered by the Oracle? - it means that the game will be as buggy and as brilliant as Civ2. That games' Oracle movie also caused crashes for quite a number of people at the time. On the other hand, understanding oracles is tricky business ...

Laptop specs:
Compaq nx9500
3.2 ghz p4
512 mb ram
geforce fx go5700

It crashed after about 45 mins - 1 hr; haven't had any problems since then.
Oh and it was a full crash, blue screen and all; not just crash to the desktop.

Regarding the forests I guess there's a random chance that a tile next to a forest will grow a forest, I've only seen it once in 2 hours though.

Also it appears that barbarians may be settling towns, maybe the camps become towns after awhile. They could have taken it over from the russians though, not sure if kissite is a russian name though. Anyways, back to the game.

A couple other quick notes, again not sure if these are already known:
- The minimap starts off zoomed in on your starting location so you don't know where you are relative to the world, ie how close you are to the north or south pole. There's a tech that centers the map along with stonehenge.
- The music is great, really adds to the atmosphere of the game.
- I like the promotions, and the combat system seems to work really well.
- Also, there is tons of information anywhere you look from combat statistics to why a civ likes/dislikes you.

Let me also add a few thoughts:

I started playing as the Indians on Noble (no advantage for comp or me) and the computer is playing very intelligently. I'm behind both of the civs on my continent (Mongolia and Germany) and I'm having trouble taking over a barbarian city (Illinois). Also, religion is an awesome addition to the game, I started Hinduism and it's already spread to 4 non-Indian cities. With the shrine I just built with my Great Prophet I'm getting 4 gold/turn from those cities. This is so much fun, but I have to learn all the new stuff.

Oh, something I forgot. When you're attacking another unit, the game tells you the odds of you winning. It'll say something like: you - 5.0 enemy - 3.4 and it details why it's like that below with the percentages of terrain bonus, and promotion bonus.

Top Bottom