First time for everything!

Kumquat

Not an Orange
The AI finally forced me to use nukes to win :nuke: In a monarch game nonetheless!

The Iroquois attacked me in the early middle ages so I responded by bribing there 2 neighbors to attack them. That is my general peaceful builder strategy bribe the AI into fighting constantly with each other. Almost always works and if it fails I can just smash the AI in battle. I failed to notice they had the Statue of Zeus on top of there UU golden age with Knights so they smashed Spain and China. I only had a tentative beach head on the north half of the Pangaea. It was late in the war with the only land route being up a long land bridge. I had no horses so I decided it was pointless as there were no easy horses to trade/take and sued for peace. I saved my precious beachhead at least!

Back to building! England DoWed on me for some AI reason I conquered them before I even had any war weariness. Alright now back to building :lol: Nope! My other neighbor Carthage attacks me twice in wars I am not interested over the span of 100~150ish or so turns until I get fed up and run them over with tanks. The Iroquois are still bigger then me and consolidated there empire while I built up mine. So now the Pangaea has 2 super powers me the Arabs in the south and the Iroquois in the north. Spain is the only other power of note holding most of the bridge between us.

Throughout the modern era we are in a cold war space/nuke race and I am surprised to find that I am losing! WHAT?! They were out researching and out producing me thanks to the 10% bonus. I am still confident that I can win until they beat me to the internet. I decided I would still win it is only Monarch after all! As it got closer and closer to the end I realized I am going to lose. That embarrassing feeling when your own arrogance toppled you :blush:

So I plan to attack them even though I know I will not make much progress. I should be able to throw them into anarchy then sneak by them to launch my spaceship. Then I notice they had switched to fascism after getting all the spaceship techs! I was down super conductors and working on satellites had no bombers, 12 radar artillery, 58 modern armors. China is useless still totally crippled from there war with the Iroquois but Spain has somehow remained right behind me and the Iroquois despite there small size. The Mongols never got anywhere and were conquered by Spain and the Iroquois at the start of the middle ages and the Inca are on an Island.

So Me vs the Iroquois. Only real ally is Spain who hold the land bridge and are my buffer from the Iroquois I get the Inca in on it to deny the Iroquois silks and prevent silly AI naval invasions from distracting me. I know the only thing I am going to accomplish this late in the game without mass bombers/artillery is to make the AI switch to mobilization. It worked, sort of :lol: They went from 10 parts in construction to 9. I took a few cities costing me around 40 of my 58 tanks. It quickly became a defensive war as I tried to hold onto my old beachhead colony.

I only lasted 6~8 turns before war weariness crippled me and I switched to communism. Thankfully the Arabs are religious but this still slowed me down a lot. With my beachhead perilously close to the Iroquois capital and my only real shot at destroying there spaceship anytime soon, I realize I need to nuke them. I cannot keep up to there 10~12 modern armors per turn and I am going to lose my only chance at a guaranteed victory.

So I gather what few modern armors I have left ferry over my tactical nukes. I only just got satellites so it was my 8 tactical nukes vs there 6 ICBMs and 3 or 4 tactical nukes. I leveled there core burning downing any cities on the way to there capital. While they retaliated nuking my aluminum cities delaying me. The damage was done though :nuke: I fought my way to there capital and burnt it to the ground, destroying there SS in the process. Victory secured :king: The last 8~10 turns while I finished my SS where mostly intermittent ICBM volleys and tank battles though nuclear wastelands.

I did not realize I rambled on for so long! Anyone else ever feel they had to use nukes? I have played a lot of games of Civ 3 and have never really felt pressured to use nukes before. Especially on monarch which I think of as a cake walk most of the time :p

I've used nukes before, but more to really cripple an AI - not really with a purpose of taking the Space Ship.
When you're on a conquest or domination victory mission like I am most of the time, the backlash of using nukes don't matter. I don't need allies by that time anymore.
It is really fun though and the things are amazingly effective.

It's nice you made your way to victory like that, I'm actually interested in a 4000bc savegame if you still have it? Or a 3000 or 2000 bc savegame?? That'd be awsome.

Oh and before I forget...
*their ;)

View attachment 364866

I still have the 4000bc auto save. I saw flood plains with some wheat and gold in the northern mountains :eek: Start looks great until your realize your situation, will not spoil anything. Had to abandon my culture plan early :lol: Tired to win diplomatically before I started the war with the Iroquois but it failed.

View attachment 364866

I still have the 4000bc auto save. I saw flood plains with some wheat and gold in the northern mountains :eek: Start looks great until your realize your situation, will not spoil anything. Had to abandon my culture plan early :lol: Tired to win diplomatically before I started the war with the Iroquois but it failed.

nah that's ok, hopefully I can find time somewhere.
Do you remember what kind of map it is and how many AIs?

I remember in one game I nuked the English in Australia to stop them from building their space ship. I nuked about 5 cities and captured 4 of them, crippling their empire - or so I thought.

They ended up nuking my capitol. Twice. But I won the game in the end through conquest.

I remember in one game I nuked the English in Australia to stop them from building their space ship. I nuked about 5 cities and captured 4 of them, crippling their empire - or so I thought.

They ended up nuking my capitol. Twice. But I won the game in the end through conquest.

They nuked my capital as well. I think it was mostly just to spite me :lol:

Theov I don't know the exact specifics other then raging barbs as I pick random for everything. It is a Pangaea though, well 90% sure. The Inca have there own island and there is another large empty island. Other then that just the Pangaea. It is a standard map default 8 civs.

Top Bottom