Fixed Cultural Borders???

Well, second day of game past and quite interesting it is.

So far i have collected 5 cities without war. 3 by free offering from another civ and 2 by buying. Those offerings happened from diplomatic screen but they were exactly like a cultural conquest. They were cities that the offering civ leader had conquered himself. Don't know if that makes any difference but they were close to my civ and practically full of my people.

Then there are few ugly blotches of cities with their surrounding eternal areas. One of them i have over 90% of my people, it remains to be seen if these cities ever do anything, my area has engulfed them many many centuries ago. Their owner won't even list them on sales menu and they are cities that were founded by their original owner.

They just sit there. Most annoying and certainly 1.75 was better on this occasion. Good though that machine guns and aa are now separate and that mech inf upgrades to real useful unit.

Edit:right after the next turn, i was again offered a city for free. Again it was a city with much of my people and it was conquered by a 3rd party who then immediately offerered it to me. It really seems that this is the new "cultural conquest" as the conqueror broke the units and control holding the city within civ that built it. Not that bad system but it remains to be seen if cities will flip over without any "help" like in 1.75.

Perhaps it is more realistic that sheeple needs a good push to act, even if their numbers are overwhelming. :)

More investigation.

Cultural power still spreads and affects as before but due to much cheaper building upkeep costs and unit upkeep costs, rivals have much more money to use and they really tend to build a lot of units. Big numbers of units in cities makes cultural switches very slow just like in 1.75.

When excessive guard is removed, the city switches/is offered for free.

I have a problem with fixed borders, not personally, but a game play problem.

When you remove an AI's city, from an area, and push back its boundary by oh say 30 tiles at least. It can still retain cultural dominance on tiles that aren't claimed by your newly settled city.

I know they have been pumping culture into those tiles for 4K years, but without constant REINFORCEMENT of that culture, it should disappear and dominate, switch to neutral. With the residual culture, able to be implemented, if reinforced at a later date.

Spoiler :

Ignore the abandon city note, just note the Mini map, and realise there are NO Celtic Cities anywhere near the Abandoned city site. yet the Celtic Culture remains.

An Example;

English AI city of London, been lost by English, captured by Celts. Now I come in as Zulu's, screaming and beating sheilds, ZULLLUUUUU!!!! ZZUUUUULLLLLUUUUUU... :lol:

I take the city, Abandon the city, as it doesn't meet my dot map mania for settlement, and place another city there about's.

My Culture expands to 2nd ring say, but London had 6 rings, previously, so the outer 4 have Celtic culture interspersed about the gaps between my cities. I know have to move a unit onto that tile and claim it as Zulu territory. It flips to me but rightly says 99% Celtic,1% Zulu but remains my tile

My gripe is, if no Celtic city its within radius to continually pump in culture, that tile should revert to Neutral, but retain the Celtic Bias. So if I build a city there, I claim the tile as I'm pumping in Zulu Culture, but if the Celts, then landed a force and took my city, they would IMMEDIATELY claim back the tiles to the cities cultural limits as it currently does.

The situation now is, I have sporadic tiles of Celtic culture, with the nearest celtic city some 50 or more tiles away. They are located in Neutral lands between my dot mapped cites..
Spoiler :
ALL PRAISE THE DOT MAP FOR THE DOT MAP..... Err another game write up
The Celts should lose all ownership rights to those tiles, they should revert to neutral, just as when you raise or abandon a city, but retain the Celtic bias.

Iirc this was discussed with afforess long time ago. Basic answer was it's supposed tol eventually. But to do it quicker either Python or SDK would have to be written. If it's possible. He didn't seem to concerned over it.

For me this is one of many reasons I no longer use Fixed Borders.

JosEPh

Iirc this was discussed with afforess long time ago. Basic answer was it's supposed tol eventually. But to do it quicker either Python or SDK would have to be written. If it's possible. He didn't seem to concerned over it.

For me this is one of many reasons I no longer use Fixed Borders.

JosEPh

FYI on a longer term I'm considering reworking culture / fixed borders / city flipping by culture. If it's possible, my idea would be to make it an option. Just be warned it won't be any time soon. ;)

well, for when you do consider working on it.

The claiming of a foreign tile by my military units, who then abandon that tile, and have it switch to neutral, is half implemented. It doesn't switch back to the previous ownership, but does retain the bias.

Maybe be a simple switch, I'll have a look, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. So....we'll see.

Koshling for C2C did some work on FB back in versions 17-19, maybe in the merging process this tile bias problem will be addressed.

Personally I wish FB would be dropped ( so Culture and culture Flipping would be relevant again). But since Afforess made FB I can see were 45* would not want that.

JosEPh

Top Bottom