Flavoured City Names

Refar

Deity
Flavoured city lists would be really cool.
This is a non-priority feature right now, but it requires lot's of ideas/input, so i think we might start collecting some names, so we might have enought in time for 1.0 :D

I think it clearly takes some atmosphere out, when i recognize my opponentes to be Germans, Chinese, Ethiopians ... I think in the postapocalyptic theme there should be are no "Nations" left - just different groups of survivors - which strive to develop into new nations.

Not saying we need to replace every single town name - some might have actually be resettled in old locations, or reused names people remembered. Here some general ideas:
* I think from all original lists, greater, famous cities, i.e. Capitals should go first - they were probably to take most of the Nukes, making bigger groups of survivors unlikely. It is unlikely that Moskow, Washington, New York, London, ... would survive a all out nuclear disaster.
* Maybe some of the old names could be slightly misspelled (Whoever remembered it might have remembered wrong. Or maybe someone found a old town name sign, where a few letters burned/rusted away).
* Neo-Mystical names referring to some Survivor Legends or Events of the past war could work as well.
* In the very end, when all the better ideas are used up, some cities could get prefixes - Neo Rome or something.
* And of course we could collect a lot from related games, movies or just someones cool ideas...

Overall from my test games, we might need less names, than the original lists have - the game is quite fast paced, not too many cites can be maintained due to restraiden economy. So a dozen per civ might be enought already. Still 18 times a dozen cool names is a lot.

So let start collecting ;)

Here are some locations i remembered/found from the orginal fallout games. Not all of them are really cool, but just collecting for now, we can mix the lists for the civs in game later, when there is some material....
Spoiler :
Fallout 1
Shady Sands
Junktown
The Hub
Necropolis
Boneyard (past day Los Angeles)
The Glow

Fallout 2
Arroyo
Klamath
The Den
Modoc
Vault City
Vault 15
Gecko
Broken Hills
Redding
New Reno
Golgotha
Navarro
San Francisco
The Enclave

Fallout BoS
Brahmin Woods
Freeport
Macomb
Quincy
Mardin
Preoria
Rocky Falls
St.Louis
Jefferson
Kansas City
Osceolla
Junction City
Coldwater
Great Bend
Newton
Canyon City
Buena Vista
Scott City
Chayenne Mountain
Springfield

Since Mad Max takes place in the scenic wastelands of New South Wales, perhaps some Australian country towns might work as names (we don't actually have a Bartertown yet, though :p). Here's a few from NSW that kinda fit the post-apocalyptic theme:

Tumut
Narromine
Cobar
Nyngan
Deniliquin
Naranderra
Walgett
Lake Cargelligo
Merriwa
Cootamundra
Temora
Bombala
Mungindi
Gunnadah
Coonamble
Jerilderie
Mildura
Queanbeyan
Thirroul
Echuca
Coraki
Bangalow
Iluka

This seems like a pretty cool idea. I agree it is easy to spot which is the civ based on China, etc, using the city names. I looked through the data in the game. For each civ, they give at least 30 names, up to 60 names for some civs.

What happens if the game runs out of names? I hope it does not generate some kind of error.

I suppose there are some play styles, even for this mod, which could result in a lot of cities. Playing on a large map, with few opponents. Or razing the cities you capture, and building your own. It seems 30 cities per civ is safe, 20 might be ok.

For 18 civs and 30 names, that is 540 names. It may be possible to repeat a little bit, for example name #1 in civ #1 could also be name #30 in civ #2.

I can easily make up random names. I have some programs around which generate names based on certain themes, basically letter patterns. For some of the civs, especially the ancient ones, I am sure most players have not heard of the cities anyway -- Shaduppum? Bithia? I can make up names like that.

But, at least the top 5 cities of each civ should be recognizable and some kind of theme. So maybe there are three classes of names: 5 themed names for each LH; 10 other names drawn from Fallout, real Australian names, etc; and 15 names I could randomly generate. That's about 100 themed, 200 real, and 250 random.

What happens if the game runs out of names? I hope it does not generate some kind of error.
IIRC it will just start again from the front of the list. I managed to get there a couple of times a looong time ago playing vanilla on huge maps...

I can easily make up random names. I have some programs around which generate names based on certain themes, basically letter patterns. For some of the civs, especially the ancient ones, I am sure most players have not heard of the cities anyway -- Shaduppum? Bithia? I can make up names like that.
:wallbash: How could i not think of it. I have a good Name generator as well, that i use for Pen&Paper RPG.

But, at least the top 5 cities of each civ should be recognizable and some kind of theme. So maybe there are three classes of names: 5 themed names for each LH; 10 other names drawn from Fallout, real Australian names, etc; and 15 names I could randomly generate. That's about 100 themed, 200 real, and 250 random.
Sounds good. I wouldn't fix the numbers just yet tho - lets see how many Themed/Original/NonRandom manes we can get, then fill the rest with name generators.

Here, some flavor. ;)

NuSuatel (New Seattle)
Denvar Hi (Denver High)
Manhuttile (Manhattan Isle)
Los Diego (combination of LA and San Diego)
Vancoovar (Vancouver)
Minnopols (Minneaopolis)
Cleeflan (Cleveland)
Cinnati (Cincinnati)

Here are some themed random. The name generator I have takes a language wordlist, so Shiro's list should sound "vaguely Japanese", etc. I am not sure how well they mix with other name types however.

Aelwyn: Avethan Brigas Cormaith Doolin Dungal Ethach Flaithba Gwencass Irchad Mealan Murthain Rigan Ryol Suliesin Wella

Ares: Apraque Cadunt Decabam Fusaque Inque Lexisse Omitris Ossitis Perta Quona Rivum Seram Uriam Vertum Vivum

Debbie: Barby Chall Claymond Earing Hoyt Ker Madison McVey Murry Pitt Polk Reid Shorne Walsh Wilson

Max: Aervir Astlimi Braki Fjorgar Garvi Grotti Harvi Hifnir Hollvar Huld Otrek Salfding Svelmar Thorri Volgeiti

Shiro: Asoza Binji Dashi Fusube Jimmei Koku Mohei Onyou Puri Suziko Sya Tehon Uromu Yahama Zato

Viktor: Bolsk Chesk Glebok Kamski Kanev Kozary Liutsk Obryn Pesk Rodok Tersk Turovets Velikov Volgov Voroslav

General Use: New Hope, San Anglo, Rockville

For science-loving cultures: Origin, Constant, Parabola, Hypotemuse, Gradient, Tangent, Isoceles, Scalene, Pi.

For superstitious (Mankind is fallen): Hell, Hades, Sheol, Abyss, Ragnarok, Styx....

For superstitous (The survivors are the 144,000): New Eden, Paradise, Nirvana, Elysium, Heaven, Ascension, Redemption....

For "might makes right" cultures: Stronghold, Fortress, The Wall, Motte, Bailey, Gatehouse, Murder Hole....

I often find myself getting lost trying to find my own cities when playing races like the Zulu because the spellings are so foreign to me they seem more like jumbles of letters than actual names. In those situations I've taken to renaming my first city Alphaville, and then moving down the police/military alphabet for the rest of my cities (Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, etc). It might be a suitable naming convention for a very militaristic leader.

I was randomly thinking of a leader named El Vez (think Mexican Elvis). Could use city names like Tijuana, Mazatlan, Veracruz, !Fort Taco!, etc. Special UU could be called The Matador or The Mariachi. Do we have a Mexi-Cali leader out there? I haven't run into them all yet.

In the Hopeville hippie/new age them we could have city names like Haight, Ashbury, Saffron, Starbright, Chakra, Isis, Phoenix, etc. I haven't run into her much yet either, but those kind of names would definitely go with her unicorn rainbow shirt. :)

In a similar vein of randomness, I was listening to some "Penn Says" video ?blogs? (that's Penn of Penn & Teller) and he mentioned Vlad the Impala in one of them. Wouldn't that be a great UU or a name for the leader of a UTE punk gang?

I think the city list just starts over, but instead it adds "New" to the start of each city name.

I like Polycrates names, and some themed mad max post apocalyptic names would be cool for each civ as well. :goodjob: Were there any cities/towns in mad max?

Seemed to be some interest in Australian names, so here's a list of Western Australian town names to pillage, some more appropriate than others. Yep, there really is a town called Useless Loop.

Spoiler :

* Abbotts
* Agnew
* Ajana
* Albany
* Aldersyde
* Allanson
* Amery
* Ardath
* Arrino
* Augusta
* Auski
* Austin - Abandoned
* Australind

[edit] B

* Baandee
* Babakin
* Badgebup
* Badgingarra
* Badjaling
* Bakers Hill
* Baladjie
* Balagundi
* Balbarrup
* Balgarri
* Balingup
* Balkuling
* Balla Balla
* Ballidu
* Bamboo
* Bardoc
* Beacon
* Bejoording
* Belka
* Belmunging
* Bencubbin
* Bendering
* Benjaberring
* Beria
* Beverley
* Big Bell - abandoned
* Bilbarin
* Bindi Bindi
* Bindoon
* Binningup
* Binnu
* Black Flag
* Bodallin
* Boddington
* Bolgart
* Bonnie Rock
* Bonnie Vale
* Boodarockin
* Boogardie
* Boolading
* Boorabin
* Boorara
* Borden
* Boscabel
* Boulder
* Bowelling
* Bowgada
* Boxwood Hill
* Boyanup
* Boyerine
* Boyup Brook
* Bremer Bay
* Bridgetown
* Broad Arrow
* Brookton
* Broome
* Broomehill
* Brown Hill
* Bruce Rock
* Brunswick Junction
* Bullabulling
* Bullaring
* Bullfinch
* Bulong
* Bunbury
* Bungulla
* Buniche
* Bunjil
* Bunketch
* Buntine
* Burakin
* Burbanks
* Burekup
* Burracoppin
* Burran Rock
* Burtville
* Busselton
* Byford

[edit] C

* Cable Beach
* Cadoux
* Canna
* Capel
* Carnamah
* Carnarvon
* Caron
* Cervantes
* Chidlow
* Clackline
* Collie
* Congelin
* Coolgardie
* Coolup
* Coorow
* Coral Bay
* Corrigin
* Cossack
* Cowaramup
* Cranbrook
* Cue
* Cunderdin

[edit] D

* Dalwallinu
* Dampier
* Darkan
* Davyhurst
* Day Dawn - abandoned
* Deanmill
* Denham
* Denmark
* Derby
* Dongara
* Donnybrook
* Dowerin
* Duggan
* Dumbleyung
* Dunsborough
* Dwellingup

[edit] E

* Eneabba
* Esperance
* Eucla
* Exmouth

[edit] F

* Fitzroy Crossing
* Frankland
* Fremantle

[edit] G

* Gabbin
* Gascoyne Junction
* Geraldton
* Gibson
* Gingin
* Gnowangerup
* Goldsworthy
* Goomalling
* Grass Patch
* Grass Valley
* Greenbushes

[edit] H

* Halls Creek
* Harvey
* Highbury
* Hillman
* Hines Hill
* Hopetoun
* Hyden

[edit] I

* Illawong
* Irwin
* Isseka

[edit] J

* Jurien Bay

[edit] K

* Kalannie
* Kalbarri
* Kalgoorlie-Boulder
* Kambalda
* Karlgarin
* Karratha
* Karridale
* Katanning
* Kellerberrin
* Kendenup
* Kirup
* Kojonup
* Kondinin
* Kondut
* Koolyanobbing
* Koorda
* Kulin
* Kulja
* Kununurra
* Kwolyin
* Kwinana
* Kyrup

[edit] L

* Lake Grace
* Lake King
* Lancelin
* Latham
* Laverton
* Ledge Point
* Leeman
* Leinster
* Lennonville - abandoned
* Leonora
* Linden - abandoned
* Lowden

[edit] M

* Mandora
* Mandurah
* Manjimup
* Manmanning
* Marble Bar
* Mardie
* Margaret River
* Maya
* Meckering
* Meekatharra
* Menzies
* Merkanooka
* Merredin
* Miling
* Mingenew
* Mogumber
* Mooliabeenee
* Moora
* Morawa
* Mount Barker
* Mount Magnet
* Muchea
* Mukinbudin
* Mullalyup
* Mullewa
* Munglinup
* Myalup

[edit] N

* Nangeenan
* Nannine - abandoned
* Nannup
* Narembeen
* Narrikup
* Narrogin
* New Norcia
* Newdegate
* Newman
* Nornalup
* Norseman
* Northam
* Northampton
* Northcliffe
* Nukarni
* Nullagine
* Nungarin
* Nyabing

[edit] O

* Onslow
* Oombulgurri

[edit] P

* Pannawonica
* Pantapin
* Paraburdoo
* Parkerville
* Paynes Find
* Pemberton
* Perenjori
* Perth (Capital city of WA)
* Piawaning
* Pindar
* Pingaring
* Pingelly
* Pingrup
* Port Hedland

[edit] Q

* Quairading

[edit] R

* Ravensthorpe
* Rocky Gully
* Roebourne
* Roelands
* Rockingham

[edit] S

* Salmon Gums
* Sandstone
* Serpentine-Jarrahdale
* Shackleton
* Shay Gap
* South Hedland
* South Kumminin
* Southern Cross

[edit] T

* Tambellup
* Tammin
* Tardun
* Telfer
* Tenterden
* Three Springs
* Tom Price
* Toodyay
* Tuckenarra

[edit] U

* Useless Loop

[edit] V

* Varley
* Vasse

[edit] W

* Wagin
* Wagerup
* Walgoolan
* Walkaway
* Walpole
* Wandering
* Wannamal
* Waroona
* Waterloo
* Watheroo
* Wedgefield
* Westonia
* Wickepin
* Wickham
* Widgiemooltha
* Williams
* Wiluna
* Witchcliffe
* Wittenoom
* Wongan Hills
* Woodanilling
* Wooroloo
* Wubin
* Wundowie
* Wyalkatchem
* Wyndham

[edit] Y

* Yalgoo
* Yallingup
* Yarloop
* Yealering
* Yerecoin
* Yilliminning
* York
* Yornup

[edit] Z

* Zanthus

Goal: 20 cities each for 12 themes.

1. Fallout Tactics cities. Capitol Cheyenne Mountain. Brahmin Woods, Freeport, Macomb, Quincy, Mardin, Preoria, Rocky Falls, St.Louis, Jefferson, Kansas City, Osceolla, Junction City, Coldwater, Great Bend, Newton, Canyon City, Buena Vista, Scott City, Springfield.

2. Distorted US city names: capitol New Washington. Benningham, Frisko, Seacouver, Fennix, Denvar, Manhuttile, Los Diego, Cinnati, Bosnywash, Freemount, Salt Pond Town. Need a few more on this theme.

3. Australia towns. Capitol Cootamundra. Tumut, Narromine, Cobar, Nyngan, Deniliquin, Naranderra, Walgett, Lake Cargelligo, Merriwa, Temora, Bombala, Mungindi, Gunnadah, Coonamble, Jerilderie, Mildura, Queanbeyan, Thirroul, Echuca, Coraki, Bangalow, Iluka

4. Names for heaven in different cultures: New Eden, Paradise, Nirvana, Elysium, Heaven, Ascension, Redemption, Cloud Nine, Valhalla, Samsara, Tian, Swarga Loka, Firdaws, Jannah, Olam Haba, Shamayim, Araboth, Naherangi, Tuat

5. Hippie type names: Haight, Ashbury, Saffron, Starbright, Chakra, Isis, Phoenix. Need some more on this theme.

6. Japanese. Capitol Shintokyo. Then just use the less recognizable Japanese names: Satsuma, Kagoshima, Nara, Nagoya, Izumo, Hakodate, Fukushima, Echizen, Bizen, Echizen, Kozuke, Sado, Nagano, Takayama, Akita, Fukuoka, Kamakuro, Kochi, Naha

And another six themes to be named later.

So there are going to be different civs based on different cultures? Like an Australian civ, and a Japanese civ? One thing I'm wondering about, though, is how these civs are going to travel across oceans to meet. I mean they can't all be in Australia.

The other idea I had was to just have different Australian communities for civs. You could have the Asian community, the Greeks, and lots of white Australian groups.

You could ask that about vanilla civ too. My goal for the LH is to have 12 LH with different ethnic backgrounds and "some" personality, and have the city names fit in with each background. Shiro is a Japanese guy so his cities might have a Japanese theme name. Stevie is some kind of new-age "Age of Aquarius" person, etc. It's a chicken and egg problem, making themes for the city names first or making personalities for the LH first. If we get a bunch of good, but unrelated ideas, I can fit them together into nice packages.

I think overall the Civs are not distingueshed by nationality. But some might still have trace of it - imagine a big city like new york - it is possible that certain communities there will form "survivor groups" - some of those communities might have been of religious nature or origin in the socieety of the city, others might have origins with ethnic groups - say China Town...

So a mix as Davidlalen suggested seems to be a good idea.

Dont take the "how they come there" issue to literally. The movie played in Australia, true. But the game - like any civ game - is set on a fictive continent, where the cultures just happen to be - they obviuosly were there before the apocalypse already.

And as layd out above - even in Australia Certain strong non-native ethnic groops might emerge to aspiring survivor civs.

A theme not mentioned so far would be some kind of "Neo-Savage" culture. I think "naturalistic" names similar to what translated into english Native American names would sound like might go well here (Glowing Planes, Poverty Point, Scorpion Coast,... ).

I just rewatched I Am Legend this weekend... and some is applicable to this Mod. especially the Animated shorts that are on the DVD. (Just as events, for example, there's one in a "doctors without Borders" type hospital, where the government comes in and kills the doctors, for fear of infection)

edit: wonrg thread, sorry :blush:

I assume that nerds love scifi, famous scientists and mathematicians, history, and tech related things. With that in mind...

The technophilia civ city names:

Pythagorea
Euclidia
Enterprise
Mos Espa
Teslavia
Corcoronium
New Silicon Valley
Hawkington
Alpha Site
Kessel
Planckton