Flying Dragon

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
A flying Dragon unit converted from Wildlife Park 2 with 5 different skins: Fire (Red), Green, Golden, Black and Blue.

Credit to Nomad or What for his effects tutorial which I followed to rig the breath effects, and for his Fire Lizard which I've also used for this.

Download Link

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Truly amazing!

Does it stays up in the air while idle? What about while fortified? Are there animations for ranged attacks?

There are ranged attacks set up. It's annoying that we can't tweak the visual effects scaling but the fire breath works OKish.

Currently the flying only happens when the dragon is moving between tiles and both the idle and fortify animations are standing on the ground.

There are a couple more flying animations in the source so it would be possible to do a flying idle/grounded fortify version.

Doing a 100% flying version would involve creating flying combat animations (fortify/attack/hurt/die) which would be more work as it would involve creating/editing animations but might be doable.

Not sure of the difference between a "dragon" and a "drake", but pretty sure this guy hovers while idle

That's a great unit to add now when I'm finally close to releasing my mod.

Any chance for a white reskin? I guess I can do it myself, but it's better if it's done by a professional :)

I notice the flame is offset to the right somewhat - maybe if you rigged it to lefteyelid01 bone rather than tongue2 it would look better?

Other than that, this is a really fantastic unit, Deliverator.

Thanks! It owes a lot to the original artists of course.

I'm tinkering with a new version of this that hovers for the idle animation, and while I'm at it I'm going to add a new breath FX bone for emitting the flame to see if that looks better. I'm also now able to rescale visual effects without rescaling the unit which will be handy.

Is it very hard to make a dragon rider? Like Orc or Human?

I'm going to at least make an elf riding this dragon, but the elf model will not be animated - I'll just rig it to the Dragon's spine or something. It'll have effects coming from it though (it's a mage).

I am assuming that the source animations are .nif/.kf files, so technically if you wanted to build a mounted version by animating a rider into the source animations then it's feasible. It would require quite a bit of work creating the custom animations, however once it were done it could be used as the base animations for both mounted and unmounted versions (the unmounted versions would simply not assign mesh to any of the rider's bones). Maybe I will consider creating the additional animations now that we have a flying mount available - but probably not anytime soon, unfortunately.

Is there a way to display the fire breathing animation for non-ranged attacks? Currently these attacks don't seem to work very well... I don't want to read the entire .fxsxml editing tutorial to figure out how to do such things (as it was suggested to me in another thread). I just want to know what to change to make melee attacks look like ranged attacks.

Lazy, lazy... :nono:

I haven't tested it, but looking at the .ftsxml and .fxsxml file, it looks like the 1140 event code should be moved from the fly animation to the fight animation in the .fxsxml file. The .ftsxml file already attaches the flame effects and sounds to that code, so it should be fine as-is.

Code:
<Animation file="dragon_fly_anim.gr2" ec="1120, [COLOR=RED][B][S]1140,[/S][/B][/COLOR] 1400, 1460, 1480"/>
<Animation file="dragon_fidget_anim.gr2" ec="1040, 2040, 1800"/>
<Animation file="dragon_fight_anim.gr2" ec="1100, [COLOR=RED][B]1140,[/B][/COLOR] 1160, 1180, 2100"/>

This doesn't seem to work. When the dragon attacks a warrior in melee, it just goes up, flaps its wings for a time, and then it ends. Ranged attacks work fine.

(I admit I'm lazy, it explains why it takes me so much time to create my mod ;))

Edit: Interesting thing is that it looks different in a dragon vs dragon combat - the attacker's mouth opens, but without the fire effect.

Top Bottom